They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Move all Tracks at once

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 7.

Move all Tracks at once

Postby Little Nac » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:08 am

Hi to all.
Can anyone please help me with regards to PE7.
I have a video & audio on the main Timeline which could be 50 minutes long. Above I may have say up to 10 or 11 tracks,
and below I may have say 6 or 8 tracks. This is not unusual in our Projects.
Now let's say I have worked on about the first 30 minutes of the Project, and then decide I want to insert some extra video or stills
on the main Timeline at about the 10 minute point. I know my holding down the Alt or Ctrl Keys that this will move down the timeline, but how do I get all the tracks to
move together? I keep running into this problem. I have just tried it again as I decided to do some green screen and insert it, but
it threw the video and audio out of sinc (which were still linked) and it moved the Timeline down OK, but left the other tracks in tact and didn't move them along.
There is too many tracks to close them all up and try to group them.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a million in advance.
Regards to all. :(
If you are faced with a forced landing at night, switch on the landing lights, if you don't like what you see, switch them back off.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Move all Tracks at once

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:25 am

If you're asking how do you insert a clip at the 10 minute point and make all of the other video move aside to accommodate it, the solution is to NOT hold down the Ctrl key as you work, Nac. That will allow the video to insert and all of the video "ripple" right to make room for it.

That's what you want, right?

If you hold down the Ctrl key, you override the ripple function. All of your video will still in place and, rather than inserting the clip, you'll simply place it into your movie without moving any of the other clips.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 am

Hi Little Nac,
Be sure to watch this tutorial, it shows all of the different key combinations you can use when adding clips to the timeline and what happens ;)
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Little Nac » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi CE & Steve.
Thanks for the reply. We watched the Tutorial of CEs which like all the Tutorials was great.
I knew the part about the Ctrl & Alt Keys, but I think you may have missed the point I was trying to ask.
Let's say we have the main Timeline with video and audio, and above say we have 10 tracks all with something on each track,
and below say 6 or 8 tracks all with something on them.
Then on the main Timeline I want to insert a clip. What I am trying to say, is that anything on the other tracks above and below the main Timeline,
stand still and don't move in sync with the Timeline. I understand about holding down the Ctrl or Alt Keys so the inserted clip doesn't split the music etc.,
but it's not moving all the remaining tracks down. Because there are so many tracks, and the time line is so long, it's virtually impossible to "group" all
to be able to move them together.
What do we do to move ALL tracks together?
Thanks again Guys.
Regards to all. :no:
If you are faced with a forced landing at night, switch on the landing lights, if you don't like what you see, switch them back off.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:20 pm

If you want everything to stand still and trying to add a clip to the main timeline (track 1?)....

if you want clips on track 1 to stand still too then add the clip on a track above at the time you want it to show. May have to move other items to a higher track.

or

If you want the clips on track 1 to ripple edit that is a little trickier depending on how many clips are involved. You could turn the eye off of all of the other tracks except track 1 and export and replace all the clips on track 1 with the exported clip, slice it and move the 2nd half down, insert the new clip and move the 2nd half in place.

My preference would be to group clips that you want to keep in place and then edit track 1. Create Timeline markers for reference.

Save a copy of the project before making changes.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Little Nac » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi Cheryl.
Thanks for the feed back. Not quite sure what you mean by the "eye".
I just went into PE7 and tried out a test run on a few slides and some music.
I put some bits and pieces on several tracks above and below the timeline (Track 1).
By holding down the Alt Key, and inserting a clip it doesn't split the tracks (which I already knew), but it WILL NOT move all the other tracks down by the time of the inserted clip.
It will move down the time line OK, but all other tracks stand still instead of moving.
But by inserting a clip and NOT holding down the Alt Key, all other Tracks move down which is what I want, but any tracks that are over the CTI which is where I want the inserted clip to fall,
split in two.
By the way, love your videos. Is After Effects hard to learn?
Thanks again. ](*,)
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Little Nac » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:02 pm

Follow Up.

Have just tried an experiment with the actual footage I am using in my Project. Saved it as a test project so as not to interfere with my original.
Anyway, this is what has happened.
The Project is about 50 minutes long with eleven tracks above the time line (track 1) and six below.
I inserted a video clip into the timeline without holding down any keys (Alt or Ctrl). It moved all the tracks down in accordance with the time of the clip being inserted. It did split the music & narration tracks as would be expected, but it DID move all the other tracks down as is what I want.
Above the inserted clip I wanted some green screen. If I put this green screen clip directly above the inserted clip (no keys held down), it splits the time line. Undid this and decided to place the green screen on a completely empty track above. Held no keys down once again, and what it didn't do is move all the tracks down, although it didn't split the time line. Which means I am now left with all the other tracks in the wrong place.
Hope this explains it a little more clearly.
Unless I am missing the point very badly, there just doesn't seem to be a correct answer.
Thanks again to all.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:33 pm

Little Nac,
I think you definitely understand how the keys work when placing a clip in the timeline.
It was an excellent idea to create a couple of test projects and try different things, that is the best way to learn this.

Now that you have tried everything the easy way and nothing does exactly what you are trying to do the only thing left is to manually move everything out of the way and then put it all back where you want it. You can do that by grouping everything together, moving it off to the right on the timeline out of the way, then after you have placed your clip(s) move the group back to where you want it and un-group everything. Might be the only way.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:59 pm

When you insert a clip into an existing clip it will ripple edit all of the tracks. And by putting the green screen video on its own track it will not ripple edit, which is the same if you added a title on its own track only in your case it is green screen.

If I understand correctly, you want to insert a clip and move everything down? And the same for the green screen clip?

Are you using the insert clip from the monitor? I prefer dragging the clip to the timeline.

Grouping is the best way to go when you want some things to stay together. You can lasso clips & group. And select more clips & add to the first group and group again. Building until you have all the clips desired grouped. Use the lasso or shift+select.

As for the music & narration splitting: To fix after the split, keep the first part of the music or narration and delete the split section to the right. Go back and grab the first section and unroll (drag to the right).

AE is a steep learning curve. The first month I almost gave up. The tuts at Lynda.com & the Apprentice book by Trish & Chris Meyer were invaluable getting started. AETuts & VideoCoPilot tuts are very good for accomplishing a specific project. Glad you like my videos, thanks!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Little Nac » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks Guys for all the help.
Unfortunately it seems like there is no easy way out.
I've tried to group the clips, but when there is soooooo many tracks and the time frame around 1 hour, it makes it very difficult to group them successfully.
I guess it's just back to the drawing board.
Thanks once again to all for the help. Regards.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:39 am

Nac, if I'm understanding what you're saying, you're wanting the video tracks to ripple VERTICALLY rather than HORIZONTALLY, right?

In other words, you want to be able to insert a video on the Video 1 track and have all of the video tracks above it move up one more track. Is that right?

If so, that is definitely not available. Not in any video editing program I know of, in fact. Sorry.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:09 am

If you zoom all of the way out on the timeline it is easy to lasso all of the clips, click and drag them all up or down a track and drop them there. That will free up a track if that is what you are trying to do but it sounded like there was more to it than that.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Little Nac » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:25 pm

Hi Steve & CE.
Thanks again for the help.
No I'm not trying to move the tracks up and down the screen, I'm trying to move them along the Timeline.
I had tried to zoom out and make the tracks smaller then lasso them, but that's Ok if you only have the Timeline and one or two tracks above or below. But when you have say eleven or so tracks above the Timeline and say 6 or 8 below the Timeline, even by making the Monitor smaller by dragging it up, there is still not enough room to lasso all the tracks at once.
It was my "Little Boss's" Project, so she has decided to re-do it from this point. Less hassle in the long run, and knowing her she will probably change it anyway!!
So once again thank you for all the help. :h:
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 7