They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Advice on purchasing a computer for video editing

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Advice on purchasing a computer for video editing

Postby Mel717 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone has tips when it comes to finding a great computer for video editing for a good price. Thank you in advance!

Mel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Mel717

Re: Advice on purchasing a computer for video editing

Postby sidd finch » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:11 am

Computer specs are every changing and what is fast today becomes slow tomorrow. But in terms of a guideline I would look to purchase a computer with the fastest chip you can afford. Then look for how much RAM the computer can support, and finally research the graphics card to make sure you get something with enough horsepower.

There are so many variables that it is difficult to make a determination with out knowing what you plan to record and edit. If you can provide your workflow then it is easier to help.

I always look at it in the reverse. not what is the best machine....what is the machine that will best serve my needs.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:52 pm

I selected specific models that I wanted on Amazon and watched them closely for 4 - 6 weeks. When the price dropped I jumped but I needed to be patient. I was able to purchase the below for $530 USD and it has more than enough power to do everything I have needed. Could have gotten something with even more power if I had wanted to spend another couple hundred dollars.

I did spend another $400 upgrading the RAM and maxing it out at 32GB as well as replacing the video card with a bigger one.

I really like this Cybertron PC :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011A ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4 ... UTF8&psc=1
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:38 pm

I recommend against overspending, trying to chase the latest technology.

Nothing depreciates faster than technology -- so I personally recommend against running out and getting a hot $2000 processor. In 6 months, you'll be able to get it for under $1000.

Which processor and graphics card you get depends on what format and resolution of video you're going to be editing and what program you're going to use to do your editing. Most pro and a few consumer video editors get a real boost from a very fast graphics card. Others use the processor alone. (Vegas Pro really benefits from a fast graphics card; Vegas Movie Studio also uses graphics acceleration.)

In other words, it's like shopping for a car. Before we can recommend the best, you've got to tell us where you're going to drive it and what you plan to carry in it.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Mel717 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Thank you so much guys! You've always been a big help when it comes to new ideas and advice with Sony Vegas! I'm basically just using the new computer for putting together short 8-10 min vids. We compose Day in the Life videos or mediation videos for law firms all over the country. Basically interviewing family members, then piecing together with narration and music. It looks like a combination between a news story and a documentary.. my father started the company and has extensive background in journalism. I am now editing for him, and have been getting by on an old basic hp home desktop the past year. Rendering a 9 min project takes 2 1/2 hours (I know there are a few diff reasons for this) but I'm also maxed out on space and desperately needing an upgrade. After doing some research and going back and forth, I feel like this might be the best deal for me at the moment.

http://www.frys.com/product/9018197?sou ... qpEALw_wcB

I really feel like anything will be a huge improvement at this time and I really don't need anything too fancy for the work that I do. I was hoping to spend around 500 or less..
What do you guys think?

Mel717

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 am

Mel717 wrote:...Rendering a 9 min project takes 2 1/2 hours...

Rendering is essentially a CPU intensive process so I would advise looking at a more powerful CPU than the one that shows in the PC that you found at Fry's. Doesn't have to be "state of the art, top of range". Just my twopennyworth. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Mel717 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:38 am

https://www.overstock.com/Electronics/C ... efinement=

Better???
Has anyone used portatech.com to build a computer?

Mel717

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:13 am

I always recommend using these benchmarks.

If your processor rates a 6000 or higher, you're in good shape. Over 8000-10000, and you've not going to have problems editing any video.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

As you can see, processors are getting very fast! But you needn't break the bank to get a good video editing machine.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Mel717 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:49 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:I always recommend using these benchmarks.

If your processor rates a 6000 or higher, you're in good shape. Over 8000-10000, and you've not going to have problems editing any video.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

As you can see, processors are getting very fast! But you needn't break the bank to get a good video editing machine.

Steve, at the risk of asking a REALLY dumb question.. where can I find the rate info in the specs? I'm looking up each processor and comparing but my mind is swarming with diff numbers assoc with each computer.

Mel717

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:33 am

Yes, the number of options is overwhelming. That's why it's nearly impossible to recommend a single computer.

I usually look on Amazon and find one at a price I'm willing to pay, then I check the chart to see if it's got a good benchmark. The number to the right of the color bar is the benchmark score.

This kind of thing used to be simple. All you needed to do was look at the clock speed and the number or processor cores. But now there are quad cores that are much faster than 6 core processors. That's why you need benchmark scores.

But if you'll tell us which program you're going to edit with, what camcorder your video is coming from and how much you think is a reasonable amount to spend, we can make more specific recommendations.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Mel717 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:10 am

Thank you!!!
We're shooting with a Panasonic H-C X-1000,
Editing with Sony Vegas 15 (Steve, I'm about to watch some of your videos on this new version, I've been using Vegas 13 up until now).
And I want to be in the $500 range if possible..

Mel717

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:51 am

So I assume you're working in 4k.

That said, look for a processor with a benchmark around 10,000. Lower end Xeons are very good, but higher end i7s are a great value, if you're shooting for a computer around $500.

At that price, your best bets are refurbished HPs. Try to get an HP Pro rather than a Pavilion. They're easier to upgrade, if you decide to drop in a higher end graphics card later.

Others can suggest the right graphics card. I'm not sure for $500 you can find a computer off-the-shelf with a really fast graphics card, but you may be able to get your hands on a good refurb if you look around. Don't be afraid of refurbished machines! They're great values!

Just know that a $500 budget is a bit tight for a professional editor. You could do a lot better if you could get closer to $1000.

But you can certainly get a capable machine for that price. And, if you can't afford a high-end graphics system, put your money into a processor rating at least 10,000. You can probably find a used or refurbed graphics card later.

That's my recommendation anyway.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Mel717 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:37 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:So I assume you're working in 4k.

That said, look for a processor with a benchmark around 10,000. Lower end Xeons are very good, but higher end i7s are a great value, if you're shooting for a computer around $500.

At that price, your best bets are refurbished HPs. Try to get an HP Pro rather than a Pavilion. They're easier to upgrade, if you decide to drop in a higher end graphics card later.

Others can suggest the right graphics card. I'm not sure for $500 you can find a computer off-the-shelf with a really fast graphics card, but you may be able to get your hands on a good refurb if you look around. Don't be afraid of refurbished machines! They're great values!

Just know that a $500 budget is a bit tight for a professional editor. You could do a lot better if you could get closer to $1000.

But you can certainly get a capable machine for that price. And, if you can't afford a high-end graphics system, put your money into a processor rating at least 10,000. You can probably find a used or refurbed graphics card later.

That's my recommendation anyway.

Thank you so much, EXTREMELY helpful!!!! I've narrowed it down now and this one looks to be my best bet for the time being.. it scores an 8500 and has the AMD ryzen 5 that I've been reading great reviews on..only downside, Amazon says it takes 1-2 months to ship :(. I'll keep looking, though.. my current hp scores a whopping 1911, can't wait to upgrade!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mel717

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:40 pm

That's a gaming computer, so much of what you're investing in is dedicated to providing very fast graphics. It will probably do the job but, if it were me, I'd focus less on gaming computers and more on powerful computers that also happen to have a good, strong graphics card.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Mel717 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:That's a gaming computer, so much of what you're investing in is dedicated to providing very fast graphics. It will probably do the job but, if it were me, I'd focus less on gaming computers and more on powerful computers that also happen to have a good, strong graphics card.

Great to know, I was told by someone to search for a gaming computer.. so I've been doing that.. I really appreciate your guidance!!

Mel717

Next

Return to Vegas