They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Premiere 8 vs. 10? Worthwhile upgrade?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Premiere 8 vs. 10? Worthwhile upgrade?

Postby mercurycoach » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:59 pm

I'm looking for input into how much better/improved version 10 may or may not be over 8.

I own and am finally learning to use 8 on a desktop I wrestled from my son once he went off to college a few weeks ago. Previously my 5 year old (or more) dual core pentium laptop could not deal the demands of 8, so my version got dusty on the shelf.

The desktop, while not new, (HP 6750, 64 bit windows 7, AMD quad core Phenom, 8 gigs ram and 1T (lots of space available) internal hard drive), seems to be plenty stable with the HD video editing I have done so far.

My quandry is that I hope to be building a website in the very near future where I will be adding lots of video, as well as setting up a YouTube channel etc. Should I bite the bullet now and move to 10 or finish my learning curve with 8 and hope that it can do all I'd like (all HD video)?

Also a somewhat related question, would it be a better investment to add an external hard drive and work with 8 than to spend a similiar amount on a new version of 10 without the extra HDD space?

Thanks for any help or insight the guru's here can provide!
Running 64 bit Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion a6750f, 2.3 GHz AMD Phenom X4 9650, 8 gigs RAM and 1 TB hard drive. Coming soon - USB 3.0 card to accommodate a 3 TB Seagate external hard drive.
mercurycoach
New User
New User

Re: Premiere 8 vs. 10? Worthwhile upgrade?

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi Mercury, Welcome to Muvipix :meet:

Adobe has been pretty consistent about releasing new versions of Premiere Elements in late September or October.
Might want to hold off until they announce the release of version 11, you will be able to see it first right here at Muvipix :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mercurycoach » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:48 pm

After my original post, I did some additional surfing and discovered it is very likely version 11 will be released any moment. :-)

In fact on Adobe's site they indicate if you buy version 10 between 9/1/12 and 9/24/12 you are eligible for a free upgrade to version 11.

It appears that Amazon is an authorized retailer and is it me or would it be a no brainer to pick up version 10 now at a rather nice discount and upgrade at no charge to 11 a couple of days from now!

I'm not a guy that has to have the latest and greatest but it appears that coincidental timing is on my side.

Of course now I'll have to wait for the Muvipix guys to release their guide to 11, but I think that may already be in the works (fingers crossed!).
Running 64 bit Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion a6750f, 2.3 GHz AMD Phenom X4 9650, 8 gigs RAM and 1 TB hard drive. Coming soon - USB 3.0 card to accommodate a 3 TB Seagate external hard drive.
mercurycoach
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Interesting. The free upgrade is normal for a purchase made just after the product announcement. And, it hasn't been officially announced yet. But, the offer is definitely there in the pre-announcement policy page on the Adobe site http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/upgrade-policy-product-announcement.html.

Just be careful. You need to provide valid proof of purchase when you buy from other than the Adobe Store. According to the link that describes what constitutes a valid proof (http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/valid-proof-purchase.html) The following is not valid: "-Receipts showing a purchase price that is discounted more than 25% off for full retail or educational products, or more than 30% off for upgrade products (some product exceptions apply)". Amazon's price for the full package (i.e. not an upgrade) is discounted more than that. You may want to verify with Adobe that this Amazon purchase qualifies before purchasing from there.

Interestingly enough the Amazon upgrade package is more than the full package, but the discounted value is within the valid discount range to qualify.

If you purchase the upgrade from version 8 to 10 on the Adobe site, it's only a little more, but there will be no hassle with the proof of purchase.

One more comment. Version 10 is significantly improved over version 8 in terms of function and stability and is one of the best releases to date.
Bob

Postby mercurycoach » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks for pointing out the fine print for me Bob.

I took your advice and bought the upgrade directly from Adobe so I've got 10 on the way with 11 not too far behind.

Does anyone have an opinion on the value of an external hard drive to make editing HD video more efficient and or effective?
mercurycoach
New User
New User

Postby cincinedit » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:58 pm

If putting HD video on an external drive it is important to use an esata port connection. I have been using an older model of the one below and it works great and have never had a issues. You get what you pay for. But made sure you have the proper connections. HD video on external drive with USB 2.0 can be painfull.

PS sorry to moderators if I should not have post the link.

They also have a 4 TB on sale right now that cost more but is a better value of $/TB

http://www.videoguys.com/Item/G-Tech+G- ... 37403.aspx
cincinedit

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:44 am

Version 11 is here, you can check out the What's New in version 11 here
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11270

And new tutorials featuring version 11 here
http://muvipix.com/products.php

Not all new tutorials are version 11 but most of them are, others are version 10 :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10