They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Combing Interlace Issue....

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Combing Interlace Issue....

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:15 pm

ok....
so I have been trying to combine some footage ....
there is footage from Go Pro Video - the footage looks great.
Some other footage is normal DV footage - it looks fine as well....(for non HD)
The majority of the footage was from HD camera and looks fine when editing - but when turning into an AVI there is something going on.....
I burned the DVD and it is unwatchable...
again the Go Pro and the stuff shot on DV looks fine...
SO
Where do I start to try to make this footage viewable?
Is it saving it as widescreen AVI that is the problem?
Should I be saving this in another format to get the HDV footage to NOT comb or be jagged?

Thanks
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Combing Interlace Issue....

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:19 pm

I forgot to add the Slideshow I had done initially was looking really bad as well....
but now it is looking REALLY great.
The only thing I did was NOT compress the time.
Initially it was a 5 minute slideshow....
then I condensed it to a 3:30 video slideshow.
It looked terrible.
Then....
I put it back to normal 5 minutes and it looks amazing.
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:49 pm

Couple of questions for you :)

1. What are you watching the video on, what kind of television and player?
2. What do you mean by condensed the video, how did you do that exactly and why?
3. You say that the DVD is unwatchable but then you say that the Go Pro and DV looks fine, what is unwatchable then?
4. If you are watching on a progressive system then you need to deinterlace the footage before exporting but without knowing exactly what you are doing it is hard to tell if that is the problem.

The more detail you can give the easier it will be to help you :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:07 pm

If you are watching on a progressive system then you need to deinterlace the footage before exporting but without knowing exactly what you are doing it is hard to tell if that is the problem.

this is it - I have had this happen on PE 4
but I dont see the way to deinterlace

can you please let me know!

THANKS
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:45 am

It sounds to me like the video from the HD camera is interlaced and you have the field order reversed.

You didn't say what type of camera that is or how you had it set to record. Most cameras that record HDV interlaced video, record the two fields that make up the frame sequentially. One field will contain the even scan lines while the other will contain the odd scan lines. The field that contains the bottom scan line is called the lower or bottom field and the field that contains the top scan line is called the upper or top field. HDV records fields in the order top field first followed by the bottom field. DV, on the other hand, records in the order bottom field first followed by the top field. Because there is a time difference between the two fields, objects that are in motion will appear in different positions in each field. This results in combing. The faster the motion, the worse the combing. If the field order gets reversed somehow, it will make things much worse. Because the later field is shown before the earlier field, the combing is exagerated and the image is jittery as the moving object jumps backward and then forward each frame. It generally looks awful.

Most often, fields get reversed by placing the video clip in the wrong project preset (for example, HDV in a DV project). This can cause the fields to be written out in the wrong order on export. You can right click on the clip in the timeline and change the field options. You might want to try reversing the field order of only the hdv clips and reburn the dvd. If it was a field order problem, you will get better results. If not, you can try changing the field options for those clips to always deinterlace. That will toss one field and interpolate the missing lines to complete the frame. This should improve the combing, but you will have a lower vertical resolution. Try reversing the field order first.

FYI, DVDs are always recorded interlaced. Also, the Go Pro video is progressive. When it's converted to interlaced, both interlaced fields are generated from the same frame so no combing and field order doesn't matter.
Bob

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:10 pm

sorry for the huge delay - YES - you were correct - I simply had to go back and right click and I had to change the field order. After that everything looked GREAT!!!!
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 10