They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Restoring catalogs

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Restoring catalogs

Postby kenskopp » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:18 am

Hello,

I have PRE9 & 10. My computer needed to have a system recovery. I moved my catalogs from 9 to 10 and backed up the catalogs to my external hard drive before the crash. After the recovery, PRE10 will not restore the catalogs. The following error message appears: "Error encountered while restoring catalog. It is recommended to contact manufacturer of disk driver for current drivers." I have a Western Digital 1t external hard drive. I am using window 7 on HP Pavillion desktop. Through my paid support service from HP my computer is fully functional. I feel that Adobe is ripping its customers off to have only "chat room" as free service. Steve's book has help undertand PRE10 better than any other book or web support. Thanks in advance. PS I will not be upgrading to PRE11 or any other Adobe product. If things aren't resolved I will go back to Picassa and Windows Movie Maker.
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Restoring catalogs

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:14 pm

Hi Tank, There are a couple of Organizer experts here, like Barb. I'm sure that someone will be along to give you some possible solutions before long. Can you access the files on the drive using Windows Explorer without any problems?

Adobe does have phone support that is free for their currently supported software products, version 10 fits in that support category. You can give them a call and they should be happy to help you for free :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:25 pm

Yes, hopefully Barb will have an idea.

This is a little beyond the scope of what's usually covered by technical support, so I'm not sure how much help Adobe (or we) can be. But Barb understands how catalogs work better than anybody, and if anyone knows the solution, she does.

Just so we're clear -- your external drive was also included in your catalog? Is that right? And, after your recovery, you remapped your computer system so that operating system recognized your external drive with the same drive letter?

And you've gone to the Western Digital site and downloaded the most recent driver for that drive, right? You didn't just trust Windows to supply it?

Finally, when you restored your system -- just so we're clear -- you restored it with a full back-up so that it was identical, including the registry, right? You didn't reinstall your operating system or upgrade your operating system or anything like that, right?

Any of those variables could affect how the catalog reads your hard drive(s). And it may be necessary to create a new catalog.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:36 am

Thank you all for your moral support. I finally got on 'chat live" with adobe. They had me restore catalog to a new location and it worked. I guess the crash and recovery destroyed the links to thwe "original location"
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:50 am

Glad to hear you got it all fixed Tank :TU:
Thanks for reporting back with the solution that they provided, hopefully it will also help someone else in the future :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:30 am

Good news indeed, Tank!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10