They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Adjusting Audio volume in Disk Menu in PRE 10

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Adjusting Audio volume in Disk Menu in PRE 10

Postby Titus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:05 am

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and to Premiere Elements. I bought Steve's book (The Muvipix Guide to PRE 10) hoping to find an answer to a question that I've got, but no joy so I'll ask it here and hope that someone can point me in the right direction.
I've just created my first DVD and have used the standard Premiere Elements 10 menu templates. The main menu comes with it's own audio track and I can't work out how to reduce the volume (or get rid of it for that matter).

While I'm asking an audio question can I ask another. What's the best way to cancel wind noise. I know I should do it at the camera, but my Panasonic X800 doesn't let you do it in auto so I'm trying to find a way when I edit.

Many thanks
Tim

BTW Steve - your book isn't available in the UK. Amazon had to ship it from the States.
Titus
New User
New User

Re: Adjusting Audio volume in Disk Menu in PRE 10

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:38 am

Hi Titus, Welcome to Muvipix - I'm sure you've come to the right place :wcm:

To reduce the volume of the menu audio you actually need to edit the audio file in a program like Audacity (free program).
Open the file in Audacity, lower the volume, save the file with a new name, then use that file in your project.
You can browse for any audio clip on your computer to be used as the menu audio, I'm sure that's in Steve's book :)

You can also make the audio changes in Premiere Elements, but it is actually easier in a program like Audacity IMO.

In Premiere Elements you can add the audio clip to the timeline, set the work area bar over just that portion of audio, reduce the volume of the audio clip, go to the share tab and then share Audio / Work area bar only, then save the clip. How to share is also in Steve's book :)

As far as wind noise goes it is almost impossible to get rid of during editing. best thing you can do is to use an external mic with a wind screen of some kind. Some noises can be eliminated or reduced with an audio editing program, Audacity or Adobe Audition, but wind noise is always a tough one that really needs to be eliminated at the time of recording, not after.

It is to your advantage to download and learn how to use Audacity, it is a great free program and comes in really handy :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:13 am

Welcome Tim! :meet:

Or the easy way to not have any menu audio at all is to just set the duration to zero (it will actually read 00;00;00;01).
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Titus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi Chuck,
I think that my problem is that I don't seem to be able to get at the audio clip that goes with the menu. If I could I would be able to do something with it (either in PRE or Audacity).
Tim
Titus
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:36 pm

The audio is stored in the DVD template folder. I have Premiere Elements 7 and the "DVD Templates" folder is located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0\DVD Templates" on my Windows 7 65-bit system. I expect that Premiere Elements 10 would be similar.

The DVD Templates folder contains folders for each of the template categories. Each of those folders contains a folder for each of the templates within that category. All you need to do is find the folder for the template you used. Audio can be either a standalone sound file, or it can be a video file containing audio. If the folder containing the template is prefixed with (A), it will contain a sound file. If it is prefixed with (AV) it will contain a video with sound.

I would recommend that you copy the file and modify the copy.
Bob

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:14 am

For reducing wind noise, you can get rid of the loud low frequencies using the Equalization effect in Audacity. Reduce the volume of all the frequencies below 200Hz. That shouldn't affect speech very much. There's a preset named "Bass Cut" for the "Select Curve" choices, but that cuts up to 300Hz. You can adjust the point so it cuts up to only 200Hz or so. You can then attempt to lower volume to other frequencies, but that's not so easy because you usually cut frequencies in the range that makes speech intelligible, maybe on up to 4000 - 5000Hz.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Titus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:27 am

Dave,
Can you give me simple instructions for setting the duration to zero.
I don't care how simple the instructions are. I'd rather get them right!
Thanks
Tim
Titus
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:41 am

Titus wrote:Dave,
Can you give me simple instructions for setting the duration to zero.
I don't care how simple the instructions are. I'd rather get them right!
Thanks
Tim

Sure Tim. After you apply the theme you'll be presented with an options pane on the right side. Or you can just click on the monitor pane containing the theme and that will also reveal the options menu. Just click and drag the duration to the left. You can watch the numbers change. Or you can click on it and type in the numbers, but I find dragging to be easier.

Audio Duration.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:46 pm

You can also use the Browse button in the image above to change the audio to something else.
You can use MP3, WAV and other audio formatted files. Just browse to the folder where the audio file is located on your computer.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10