They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

recognizing capture device

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

recognizing capture device

Postby The Director » Wed May 02, 2012 1:52 pm

finally getting to start first project in PE 10. Lo and behold, the camera I've used for many projects in PE 9 (Cannon GL-2) is not being recognized. As usual I open project, click get media, click DV camera, but nothing happens. I connect with either USB 2 or fire wire 400 and get the same results. I'm stumped on this one.
The Director
New User
New User

Re: recognizing capture device

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 02, 2012 2:03 pm

First, you can only capture over FireWire in Premiere Elements, despite implications to the contrary.

Second, what operating system are you working on?

If Windows, does Windows register the connection with a sound and a little camcorder icon on the Task Bar?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby The Director » Wed May 02, 2012 2:23 pm

My operating system is Mac OS 10.7 I tried my firewire cable but that didn't work.
The Director
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 02, 2012 3:26 pm

With a Mac, I have no idea. They give no indication that the camcorder is connected -- except that they always work! So I'm not sure what's up.

Does any other program on your computer (iMovie? Nero? Final Cut?) recognize the camcorder?

Also, try going to Premiere Elements' Preferences and making sure your Device Control and capture settings are correctly set up.

You need to determine if this problem is unique to Premiere Elements or if you computer just isn't connecting to your cam for some reason.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed May 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Can you try capturing with iMovie?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby The Director » Wed May 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Here is a bit more info. I had no problem capturing with fire wire in Pre 9. Since getting 10 I added an external drive to save the captured footage to. The drive is always on. Today when I tried to capture, the capture screen said; no DV device detected or capture device off line. In the save to window I selected the new drive. During all the time trying to find the problem, I occaisionaly got an error message "the disc was not ejected properly. Always eject the disc before" etc, etc. Don't know what disc the message is referring too? Can't be the external drive since it's connected on a different port (800). My camera is on a (400) port. Tis a puzzlement! I will check Pre 10 preferences. Thanks
The Director
New User
New User

Postby TimByts » Thu May 03, 2012 5:09 pm

I am new to the forum and perhaps this post is only directed at Mac users, however, I will submit this in any case. I was trying import video from my sony HandiCam DCR-SX45 via my Windows 7 machine and my Video Capture card was not being recognized using any of the DV or HDV video camera options. The handiCam uses flash memory to record video and has no firewire output. It does have an analogue output for capure cards. I discovered that by selecting the WebCam or WDM device, I could access the capture card. I found it frustrating that nothing in help menu or on the web appeared to mention this little gem. So for those of you struggling to use a capture card, try the "WebCam/WDM" option.

Tim Byts
TimByts
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu May 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Should be no reason to use a capture card with a flash memory based camcorder Tim.
When connected it should be recognized as a hard drive and you can move the files to any folder on your computer, just like a digital camera with an SD card. No need for Firewire, just connect via USB cable and you should be all set :)

The camera should have also come with software and that my be required to get the video files off of the camera or to convert them to a useable format in an editing application.

From the specs on your camcorder...
Built-in USB cable Easy file transfer solution
Direct copy to external hard drive without PC Allows you to keep your information on hand, even when there's no computer available
Includes Sony PMB (Picture Motion Browser) software Edit video with confidence
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks for your input, Tim.

As Tim says, only tape-based video can be captured over a FireWire cable. Storage-based video must be downloaded over a USB connection.

But it sounds like the director is clearly using a miniDV camcorder and has successfully captured over FireWire to this computer in the past.

However, Director, you still haven't told us if any other program is able to recognize this FireWire-connected camcorder since installing version 10 and your external hard drive.

And have you tried disconnecting the external hard drive to see if it makes a difference?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby TimByts » Thu May 03, 2012 5:50 pm

I should have explained that I use a capture card because I must have the Date/Time code show up on the video. This is a work related criteria. Downloading the video directly from the Flash media will not reproduce the time code on the resulting video. For me this is a huge issue as capture occurs in real time so if the video is 20 min long, it takes 20 min to get it onto the computer for editing. It would be so simple if the camera manufactures could add a line of code to their camera firmware and permit the Time/Date code to be made visible if required. If there are users struggling with the PE 10 not recognizing their capture card, the Webcam/WDM option may work?

Tim
TimByts
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri May 04, 2012 12:18 am

I'm not a Mac user so can't help much here. Just wanted to say 'Welcome to muvipix, Tim'. :wcm:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 04, 2012 6:55 am

As Chuck says, Tim, you should not be capturing video from non-tape-based camcorders and you should definitely not be using a capture card.

I don't want to get off on a separate tangent in this thread but: Video taken directly from camcorders is compatible with Premiere Elements. Video captured through capture cards or devices like Dazzle and Plextor DVD Maker usually are not. This may not be immediately obvious when you first load the files into your project. But card-captured video often leads to problems later.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 04, 2012 10:22 am

There is a tool you can use to add time code to a video, not sure this is what you are needing but it is pretty cool. DVDate
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVdate

It creates a video of timecode for whatever length of time you need.
Then you simply overlay your video with the timecode video on the timeline.
Might be worth trying out, and it's free too :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby The Director » Sat May 05, 2012 10:03 am

FYI, Premier Elements 10 no longer supports the Canon GL-2 DV Camcorder. Only the Canon MD245 & ZR850. Will have re-install 9 to utilize my GL-2
The Director
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 05, 2012 10:12 am

You may well be right, Director -- but it certainly doesn't seem right.

MiniDV is miniDV. It shouldn't matter what model of camcorder is connected.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 10