They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Help with settings (PRE 10)

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Help with settings (PRE 10)

Postby mfl1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:26 pm

I am new at this and would appreciate some help with project settings. I am creating a long (maybe 2 hours) project with files in numerous different file formats. The principal one is MPEGs (1920 x 1080) created with my Canon M41 camcorder. I also have AVI movies (720 x 480), movies in Windows Media format, MP3 audio, M4a audio, PNG files and JPEG files. Given the length of the project, I think I need to create low-def DVDs (in order to get the whole project onto a single DVD).

I would be grateful if someone could tell me what project settings to use. (If I haven't provided enough information, I can supplement this.)

Thanks,

Marvin
mfl1

Re: Help with settings (PRE 10)

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:48 pm

First, you NEVER want to mix formats -- particularly hi-def and standard def -- in the same project. It will only lead to trouble.

So my first recommendation is that you find a common format to work in. Since you are producing a standard def DVD, I'd recommend you work in standard def DV. So your first step is to convert that AVCHD from your Canon to DV. To do that, open a project using settings for Full AVCHD 1920x1080 and import that video into it. (Your camcorder has the option of shooting in both stereo and 5.1 audio -- so make sure your project settings also match whatever audio format you're recording to!) Import your AVCHD video into the project, place it all on timeline and use Share/Computer/AVI with a DV preset to output it all as a DV-AVI. (Or, if you choose, you can export as a number of shorter AVI segments.)

Then open a new project using the DV preset. Import your 720x480 footage (which I assume are DV-AVIs captured over a FireWire connection from a miniDV camcorder) as well as the AVIs you created from your AVCHD footage. Then edit away!

For best performance I also recommend you convert your MP3s to WAV files using a program like Audacity (a free download). And, if your M4A files are downloaded from Apple, you'll have to use a workaround convert them to public domain WAVs also. (iTunes files have copy protection embedded in them that will throw up an error code if you try to use them in a video project.) We can walk you through that process if that's the case.

Finally, ensure your JPEG files are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size and make sure that, under Edit/Preferences/General in Premiere Elements, you've unchecked the option to Scale Stills to Frame Size.

Then you should be good to go.

If this sounds a bit convoluted, you understand why we wrote our books -- and why we've got a whole library of tutorials on our site.

If you do the proper prep and set your project up correctly, you'll find Premiere Elements very accommodating and it will produce excellent results.

A bad start can prove disastrous -- and sometimes cause you to waste hours of work. So I'm glad you asked now instead of a week into your project.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mfl1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Thanks so much, Steve. That's why I asked -- I had a feeling it would be a little complicated.

Marvin
mfl1

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Well, it's not as complicated as it sounds -- but it does involve prepping things right.

Like when you make bread. You have to mix the dry elements together before you add the wet or it won't blend right.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10