They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

File Structure Q''s and Cleanup Help Please

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

File Structure Q''s and Cleanup Help Please

Postby zenhog » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:39 pm

Newbie here to the forum and until recently a casual user of PRE - versions 4, 8 and now 10. I'd like to learn about the file structure, and find out what I can remove since I just finished a big project and have gobs of disk space tied up with stuff I probably don't need. Steve - if you see this I want to thank you and tell you how excited I am to find a place like this to learn from. I've already jumped to Amazon and ordered your book on PRE10 and I'll be subscribing tonight. And if some of these questions are answered in the book please feel free to tell me to wait until Tuesday when it arrives.

I guess my first question is does the app have a command like "project over - clean up all laying around junk" ? \:D/

Second, there's a command "Project Archiver". can that be of use in my cleanup efforts? According to the documenation it appears that is the reason for this command. So my questions below are to inform me of what the files are used for, and where to go to clean up anything I might not need.

Another general question - if I do an uninstall of PRE 8 will the 8.0 folder be removed?

I run everything out of the stock folder the app installed. Under MyDocuments I have an Adobe folder. In that folder is the 10.0 folder where I save my project .prel file and everything takes care of itself. If that's a bad practice please let me know.

Another general question is if I have my .prel file, and my media clips from the media folder can everything else be safely removed and re-generated by the app? Or is there another file or set of files needed to accompany the .prel file that are needed to re-generate a timeline?

In that 10.0 folder I have
Auto-Save folder. It's got a bunch of .prel files, a log, and supporting folders inside it for a recovery. I assume I can remove that stuff if I have a good .prel file, correct? It also has it's own set of preview, encoded and layout folders to accompany the recovery I assume.

By the way - I hear talk of the "rendered files" but no file or folder names use the term "rendered". Which folder has the rendered files? (which I assume you can remove and the app will just rebuild them as needed, correct?)

There's the Preview Files folder - can that be safely removed?

There's the CAObjectTrackResults folder - same question.

There' a Encoded Files folder. Can that be deleted?

A Layouts folder - same question

A Stop Motion Capture folder - same question.

A Styles folder - same question.

Then in the main 10.0 folder I have

the .prel file - I understand that's the main project file.

There are .sfk files - what are they?

There are bitmap .bmp files - I assume those are create when I use the command to insert a still made from a clip, correct? And if I delete them I will be in trouble?

I see a .xmp file or two - not sure where that came from or what it's used for?

And some log files I assume I can remove and won't cause too much trouble, correct?

I really appreciate the help and answers!

Craig
zenhog
New User
New User

Re: File Structure Q''s and Cleanup Help Please

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:29 am

Hi Craig, Welcome to Muvipix :wcm:
I will try to answer as much as I can.

zenhog wrote:I guess my first question is does the app have a command like "project over - clean up all laying around junk" ? \:D/

No, there is nothing that will automatically clean everything up for you, sorry.

zenhog wrote:Second, there's a command "Project Archiver". can that be of use in my cleanup efforts? According to the documenation it appears that is the reason for this command. So my questions below are to inform me of what the files are used for, and where to go to clean up anything I might not need.

Yes. project archiver can be an excellent tool to help you save your project and clean up after you are finished.

zenhog wrote:Another general question - if I do an uninstall of PRE 8 will the 8.0 folder be removed?

the folder may be removed, save everything you need in another location.

zenhog wrote:I run everything out of the stock folder the app installed. Under MyDocuments I have an Adobe folder. In that folder is the 10.0 folder where I save my project .prel file and everything takes care of itself. If that's a bad practice please let me know.

Not a great idea, it is best to create a new folder for each project, this makes cleanup much easier.

zenhog wrote:Another general question is if I have my .prel file, and my media clips from the media folder can everything else be safely removed and re-generated by the app? Or is there another file or set of files needed to accompany the .prel file that are needed to re-generate a timeline?

yes, this is pretty much the case. If you keep the .prel files and all of your media that was used in the project you will be fine. The project archiver does this automatically for you and only saves the clips that are actually used in the video.

zenhog wrote:In that 10.0 folder I have
Auto-Save folder. It's got a bunch of .prel files, a log, and supporting folders inside it for a recovery. I assume I can remove that stuff if I have a good .prel file, correct? It also has it's own set of preview, encoded and layout folders to accompany the recovery I assume.

By the way - I hear talk of the "rendered files" but no file or folder names use the term "rendered". Which folder has the rendered files? (which I assume you can remove and the app will just rebuild them as needed, correct?)

You can remove any auto save files if you have a good .prel file, no problem. The rendered files are in the Preview Files folder.

zenhog wrote:There's the Preview Files folder - can that be safely removed?
yes

There's the CAObjectTrackResults folder - same question.
yes

There' a Encoded Files folder. Can that be deleted?
yes

A Layouts folder - same question
yes

A Stop Motion Capture folder - same question.

A Styles folder - same question.

Then in the main 10.0 folder I have

the .prel file - I understand that's the main project file.

There are .sfk files - what are they?

There are bitmap .bmp files - I assume those are create when I use the command to insert a still made from a clip, correct? And if I delete them I will be in trouble?

I see a .xmp file or two - not sure where that came from or what it's used for?

And some log files I assume I can remove and won't cause too much trouble, correct?

I really appreciate the help and answers!

Once you are finished with your project you can delete all the files except for the .prel file and any media files you have used in your project. If you Archive your project you don't even have to do that. Then, if you have created a separate folder for each project you only need to delete that entire folder ;)

Craig
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:20 am

One thing we recommend in our books is to always create a new folder when you create a new project and save your project folder inside it. Then, when it's time to clear off your old project, you can get rid of your project, media, auto-saves, render and other tmp files simply by deleting that folder.

BTW, in case you haven't noticed, this isn't just my forum. It's due to the efforts of dozens of wonderful people that we've built this amazing community of helpful, experienced people. That's part of what makes Muvipix such a great place! Ask for help, and people are climbing all over each other trying to rush to our aid!!

So welcome aboard!!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:21 am

Welcome Craig! :wcm:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to PRE Version 10