They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

video in timeline moving

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

video in timeline moving

Postby Little Nac » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi All,

I have just started using PE10 in the last week, and have come across this particular problem, I am wondering if someone could throw some light on it.
First of all I realise the computer I am using at the moment is only Intel Core 2 duo 3ghz, 4gb ram, Win 7 64bit which is probably unpowered for this kind of work, but
this is the only one I can use at this present time. I do have an i7 at my home, but at this stage have not had the chance to try 10 on it.

This is my problem, among a few other others. The video I have in the timeline at this moment is only about 17 minutes long, MTS Files, which I will
admit certainly does handle them better than PE7. There are no great effects in it at this stage only one Bluff Titler effect, and couple of transistions.
On playing through the Video yesterday, just to check what I had done was correct so far, all of a sudden the screen went black, I had found it had picked
up a certain section of the video and moved it way down the end of timeline, and just left a blank spot where I had originally placed it. This I must admit
reminds of the times I used Pinnacle, quite a few years back now, it did have the habit of just picking video or slides up from anywhere and moving
them all over the place, that is one of the reasons I moved away from Pinnacle, and switched to PE3, then 4, and eventually 7 where I have never had
that problem.
Could someone please throw some light on why this is happening or is it the fault of just an unpowered Computer.
Thanks in advance
L.N. :?:
If you are faced with a forced landing at night, switch on the landing lights, if you don't like what you see, switch them back off.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: video in timeline moving

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:05 pm

It could be that the clip "rippled" when you added a clip before it.

By default, when you add a clip to the middle of the movie -- even on a parallel track -- the movie will split and move aside to allow you to place your new clip.

You can override rippling by holding down the Ctrl key (or the Cmd key on a Mac) as you add the clip.

If that's not the case in your movie, you'll need to tell us more about how you assembled your movie so that we can figure out what caused what.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Little Nac » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi Steve
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately have been away for a day hence late in replying.
I am doing a DVD on Disneyland just to show our friends what it is like.
The section that I am doing is on the Disneyland Railroad. I realised that I had forgotten to put in the section that I had filmed of the
grand canyon. This section was one complete shot approx. 2 1/2 minutes long, I inserted the clip where it should have been by holding
the control key, and it inserted it correctly, I went back before the insertion and played the whole section through and it was perfect.
I saved it and a copy, went to the end and continued working on that section until I completed it. At this stage the show is about 17 minutes
long, and just before closing off for the night, I decided to play it right from the beginning just to see if it was ok. I was playing it through,
all of sudden on full screen the screen went black. At first I thought the whole machine had switched, off but on moving the mouse and going back
to normal screen, that is when I discovered that the whole section on the grand canyon had been moved waaaaaaaaaay down past the end.
That's why I thought something was strange, because I had checked it out after the insertion and everything was right and saved.
BTW the video is MTS Files from a Panasonic HD Camera.
Any further thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
L.N. :pull:
If you are faced with a forced landing at night, switch on the landing lights, if you don't like what you see, switch them back off.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Sorry, Nac. Based on your description, I know of no reason this would happen.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby hpharley90 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:17 pm

Little Nac wrote:First of all I realise the computer I am using at the moment is only Intel Core 2 duo 3ghz, 4gb ram, Win 7 64bit which is probably unpowered for this kind of work

I'm using what is in my signature.
I've had no timeline problems or problems at all so far . [-o<
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Little Nac » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi

I guess with this one I am out of luck, just one of these things with no answer. I will keep going, maybe it was just a teething problem.
Will see how I progress. The one thing I have noticed is that when I load the project, I can understand it taking a long....................time to load.
But the one thing I did notice with 7 was that once it did load all on timeline, you could continue working, but with this one, even once it is on
the timeline, it says it is still loading down on the left hand side of the screen, and virtually it is impossible to continue working until that disappears.
Anyway will see how this goes. If I have any further major issues I think I will revert back to 7. Maybe I will await Bubby Grub, she is still finishing a
big project in 7, then she will try 10, and see what she thinks.
Thanks again
L.N. :-k
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:37 pm

I'm able to edit while PRE says that it is loading. I have 4 hours of various video clips (about 50 SD and HD) on the timeline, some on external drives, and it takes a short time to load. What do you have on the timeline? What is your project preset settings? How much RAM do you have? Have all your MPEG files been indexed and audio conformed? I sure wouldn't go back to 7 unless you started the project in 7.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 10