They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

First impression and question

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

First impression and question

Postby AVITRY » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:33 pm

To be fair, I only looked at it for about 5 minutes. It's different than the vers. 3 I'm used to. Seemed more cluttered with things. It wasn't as bare boned easy, I"ll get used to it. It was faster in 64 bit, thats for sure. See my post under computers.

I didn't understand why I couldn't resize the second video timeline, only video 1. Dunno why, gotta play more I guess.

The real thing that had me scratching my head was, after selecting the clip on the timeline, going to FILE, EXPORT, it wasn't available, I had to go to SHARE and COMPUTER to get the mpeg encoder.

I'm sure the video clip was selected, but I just couldn't get the export choice to work. Any thoughts?

Oh, also, I couldn't get the content dvd to load, a window came up from in the program prompting me to install the DVD, but after I did, nothing ....

thanks
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: First impression and question

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:00 am

In order to resize a track, you need to first click the twirl-down icon on the left side of the track.

The only thing you can "Export" is a title. Everything else you have to go through "Share."

Can't help you with the content disc, I have the download version.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby AVITRY » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks Robert, I'm going to post something over in the Video Editor heading regarding DVDWorkshop. Maybe you will have an idea. Thanks!

joe
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby AVITRY » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Wow, I just spent about 45 minutes in PE10. I gotta say, I'm not liking this program a bit. Ever get that sick feeling in your gut after you spend like $1000 on a new PC assuming you would still be using PElements and you find out ... what the heck is this???

That's how I feel. I'm not ashamed to admit I must be an idiot, but I have no clue what to do in this program. Copy and paste a video from the timeline. God knows where it's gonna end up.

I used to pull the video clip up to video 2, copy and paste, and it simply went to video 1. Now I'm inadvertently splitting clips, things get chunked in the middle.

I can't download the content DVD, no idea why. Doesn't matter, I don't think I'd want to make a menu in this program anyway.

I add the "swap channel" audio effect, like I used to, now I see no defining blue line that designates an effect being present. I have to go tabbing through that mess in the right hand corner. ARRGHH....

This is not the same program. Which version of PE will run on a 64 bit system that acts like vers. 3?

Let me ask this .... Does anyone know of another video editing software, that displays the timeline with the second video over the first video like PE does? I mean not upside down where the overlay video is placed under the base video. I can't even explain what I'm trying to say, I'm so disgusted with the goop in vers. 10.

I'm gonna be sick. The time I save in encoding, I'll be spending on this thing clicking tabs, and sharing and ohhh .... I can see me formatting and installing XP 32bit. What a waste, nothing runs on this 64 bit whatever it is. Sorry, a tad upset here .... :pull:
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:25 am

AVITRY wrote:Let me ask this .... Does anyone know of another video editing software, that displays the timeline with the second video over the first video like PE does?

PPro. :-D

From comments posted on this forum over recent years it seems that Adobe have taken PrEl away from its PPro roots. I moved from PrElv2 to PPro and the transition was very easy.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Gerlinde » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Let me ask this .... Does anyone know of another video editing software, that displays the timeline with the second video over the first video like PE does?

Have a look at Avid Studio. Here is a link for their Tutorial site. You can download a trial version before buying. But be aware it still has a learning curve and things are being done differently than in PE.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/u ... Tutorials/
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby momoffduty » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:12 pm

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:PPro. :-D

I would also suggest PrPro. I went from PrEl3 to Pro and the transition was fairly easy. Things are set up about the same. There are some great features in Pro too. Download a trial version of PrPro & see if it fits your needs.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby AVITRY » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:24 pm

A long time ago I purchased PPro vers. 2 I can't remember how much, but it was enough.. LOL, The thing is, (and for the life of me, I can't understand it) it didn't come with an mpeg codec. I have to but it separately. I kind of burned me up that I spent so much and it didn't have it, and PE 3 has it. Go figure.

Well, I gotta tell you all, none of the programs I use worked on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. So, I decided to go back down to 4 gigs of memory, and reformat and install good old XP Pro. Now, everything works.

There was even an issue with the Canopus ADVC 300 Picture Controller Software. OMG, that's all I need is to wrestle with that. That's the thing I use all the time. So in the long run, this is the best way for me.

I do so little in the actual NLE, that, I think I'll get Steve's book and give it a look through. It did encode to mpeg faster than PE3.

For now, Windows 7 is on the shelf alongside 16 gigs of Corsair memory. Nothing worked. I even tried XP Mode which was the full install of XP on the Win7 machine running through a virtual drive software which claimed to support DVD burning, I'm sure it did, but not through my authoring software. Ahh... no one said it was going to be easy. :)

BTW, I saw Steve did a book on PE 9 and a book that combined PE 10 with PS. Since I only use PE, would buying the version 9 book offer more in depth info, or should I get the combined book. I know I want all the insight I can get with the book. Is 10 much different than 9?

thanks all,
joe
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:18 pm

AVITRY wrote:There was even an issue with the Canopus ADVC 300 Picture Controller Software. OMG, that's all I need is to wrestle with that. That's the thing I use all the time.

I know it's water under the bridge at this point, but I use the Picture Controller with Win 7-64 and no issues. If I recall, Canopus says it's only good up to XP, but it works fine. They just don't support it anymore so they don't claim that it works under later OSs.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:19 pm

It depends on what you want to know, Joe.

The Premiere Elements books cover Premiere Elements very thoroughly -- and offer a color option.

The combined books include the entirety of the Premiere Elements book PLUS a couple hundred pages explaining how to work the tools in Photoshop Elements. However, because of the size of the book, it comes in black & white only.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Thanks for the reply Steve. My interest is solely in obtaining the best source information on PE 10. I've been using a mishmosh of photo editing programs ... LOL ,cause I'm too dumb to understand certain functions in certain programs. Or at least lacking the patience to really understand any one of them. I use Microsoft Digital Image for touch ups, I use Paint Shop Pro for printing multiple photos of different sizes on one sheet of paper, :) So, I muddle though the photo thing. Little to no dealing with stills.

I need to clearly understand the PE 10 timeline, ( I miss my blue work bar and I miss the blue line I get in the audio timeline when I apply an audio effect, but most of all, I have no clue how to navigate the program quickly like PE3, and I'm having a ton of trouble figuring out where the heck copy and paste puts clips on the timeline. ( just when I had it nailed in PE3)

Most what I do is the conversions of VHS Billiard videos with that Canopus. It can colorize pre-capture, so there isn't much I do in an NLE. Clip the front and back, maybe a picture in picture when the commentator talks about a prior shot, I'll split that clip part and copy it to the second video line and keyframe it zooming from small to 3/4 screen as he talks about it. I swap audio channels to make the videos mono, say the end at the end with a little quick title, encode to mpeg and done.

I just need to navigate that PE10 timeline like I can do with PE3 :) I didn't know if Vers. 9 was different than 10 in terms of how to get around in the program. I assumed there were more pages on PE in the 9 book, cause it was dedicated only to PE. Whichever one you feel is better ... that's the one I'll buy.

thanks,
joe
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chris B » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble - this may help. Grass Valley imply that your Canopus does work with Win 7
http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc300
so you may just need a software update from them.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby AVITRY » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:34 pm

Chris, they haven't upgraded the Picture Controller Software since 2004. Some people say it's the installer that won't work, so install it in XP and copy the files to Win7, others say even doing that it freezes, and others say so far so good. I just couldn't risk it.

Not to mention DVD Workshop wouldn't work even in XP mode. I just went back to XP for now. But, PE10 is about 10 minutes shorter in encoding a 2hr video than PE3, so I guess if I can muddle through the fluff in that program, I'll get used to it. :)
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby braindeadsoftwareguy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:09 am

I am so relieved to see others struggle with these software programs. I was beginning to think I was getting alzheimer's! :yh:

From what I've gleaned from reading and following all the folks here, is that there seems to be those who have a professional interest and passion for this stuff and so, are up to their eyeballs in all that there is. They probably do video editing and production for a living and so on. Then there are those that are in the middle where it's a serious hobby. In my case, I have no real interest in video as a hobby, but simply wanted a tool to do the odd fun project. Unfortunately, it involves this major learning curve to do this. As I said to Steve, I have no interest in the frilly family movies, or cute productions. I just wanted to have multi-track for my music video goal. I would have been fine with Movie Maker with that facility.

From what has been said here, maybe an earlier version would have been easier for me.
braindeadsoftwareguy

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:19 am

braindeadsoftwareguy wrote:.....My ultimate goal....is to make simultaeous tracks of me performing......I would then like to mix and match scenes.....while keeping the music audio track intact......I might even record those tracks with a green screen situation, to put the Grand Ole Opry stage in the background for a hoot. :TU:

I can't think of any way to do this except using multiple tracks and to be able to do that you will, I'm afraid, have to invest some time in learning how to do it.

It may seem a daunting prospect now but once you have the hang of it then it really is quite straightforward. A bit like learning to ride a bike(?). :-D

Maybe this might help.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-PREMIERE- ... 45fbbea2eb
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Next

Return to PRE Version 10