They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Help for an Idiot!!

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Help for an Idiot!!

Postby braindeadsoftwareguy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi,
Ok, as my new username says, I am brain dead when it comes to using software programs. I have no luck with any of them as they are not intuitive to this very old analogue brain. The packaging for this program looked childlike to me and I thought it would have instructions, but all I see is a big screen of nothing that really makes any sense. I have stabbed at a few things willy-nilly, but don't get anywhere. I don't even understand the Organizer versus the Timeline screen.
All I want to do is have fun, but to me the learning curve is a vertical wall. :-({|=

Windows Movie Maker has been my speed up till now. I have struggled and given up on my music editors and chosen to just use auto on my fancy digital camera.
I believe these programs should come with a book that walks through everything from square one.
What I would ask then, is what should be my best approach at learning this program that would work for my type of thinking process. No witty comments though, about using the DVD disks from the package for skeet shooting. [-X
braindeadsoftwareguy

Re: Help for an Idiot!!

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:11 am

braindeadsoftwareguy wrote:what should be my best approach at learning this program that would work for my type of thinking process. No witty comments though, about using the DVD disks from the package for skeet shooting. [-X

Go to the following page and order the book The Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Color Version
by Steve Grisetti, the co-founder of this site. Pick from the list entitled "What Do You Want to Do?"

http://muvipix.com/FORMgallery1.php
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:36 am

Welcome to Muvipix! :wcm:

+1 on George's suggestion. It's absolutely the best place to start and a great investment to have the book sitting at your side as you work. Then, make use of these forums. You'll find that everyone here is patient and understanding. We've all been where you are right now. Plus we have a great variety of expertise. You'll almost always find someone who can answer your questions, if they're at all related to computers or photographs or video editing. Feature-filled programs usually do have a learning curve; it's the nature of the beast. The great thing about Premiere Elements is that you can pretty much use it for whatever level of editing that you need at the moment. Once you're familiar with the interface and get past those frustrating initial hours on the curve, you'll find that the program can do some really cool stuff. Hang around. We'll get you through it. :) BTW, there are a lot of great resources here, many of them free, so poke around and get to know the site.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:02 am

And don't forget to check out our free 8 part Basic Training tutorials, of course!
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... 2&btn.y=15
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:09 pm

braindeadsoftwareguy wrote:All I want to do is have fun, but to me the learning curve is a vertical wall. :-({|= [-X

Welcome Brain to Muvipix! I could have written your post 5 years ago when I started editing. The only thing is that you are a few steps ahead having used Movie Maker and I was computer illiterate. I cut my editing teeth here on Muvipix tutorials and had lots of hand holding. (Probably drove a few people crazy here too. :lol: )

The tuts here are wonderful to jump start your editing knowledge and Steve's book is invaluable. How I tackle learning a new software product is by tuts & books and most important have a practice project. Bring in a few clips, photos, or graphics and try things out.

:wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:26 pm

braindeadsoftwareguy wrote:All I want to do is have fun, but to me the learning curve is a vertical wall. :-({|= X

Already have clips and/or stills and/or audio but don't want to read a book or watch tutorials?

Solution: On the Premiere Elements Welcome screen, click on Instant Movie and follow the instructions

Your first movie will be ready, complete with titles, transition, effects and audio, in minutes.

=D>
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:14 pm

Welcome to Muvipix. Jump right in and start with a simple project. Ask questions and you will be up and running in short time.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby braindeadsoftwareguy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Thank you, one and all. :tx:
I will order the book now and await it in the mail as a Christmas present to myself. I got the program on sale here, so I can justify the extra cost.
My ultimate goal, since I'm really a guitar guy, is to make simultaeous tracks of me performing a song being the strummer/singer, then have me on lead guitar and so on. I would then like to mix and match scenes to focus on me in different points in the song, while keeping the music audio track intact. I hope when I'm ready for that stage, I can find someone here to give me a leg-up doing that type of thing.
I might even record those tracks with a green screen situation, to put the Grand Ole Opry stage in the background for a hoot. :TU:
braindeadsoftwareguy

Postby Peru » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:06 pm

:meet:

You certainly made the right decision to order Steve's book. I have a few of his books which I keep in the top left drawer of my desk for quick access when I forget or don't know how to do something.

Keep checking the Muvipix forums. It's amazing how much you will learn just by reading other people's questions. And when you finish your video you may want to share it with us.
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:46 pm

braindeadsoftwareguy wrote:
I will order the book now and await it in the mail as a Christmas present to myself.

While waiting for Santa, try the Instant Movie option if, like you said, your goal is to have fun. :fg:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:52 pm

I filmed a friend playing the violin the same song 2x and thought I could just cut it together. But, it was just a little off each time and couldn't match it up.

I am not a musician, but I asked a local videographer how he matched up a band that played the same song multiple times for a music video. He said that they had a recorded version playing each time and they played in time to that one recording. Maybe for your video you could have one version on an iPod and use the ear buds to listen while you played each instrument so all of your recording would be in sync.

Again, I am not a musician and others here may have a better way to accomplishing your project. Good luck with the project & hope you post your video.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby braindeadsoftwareguy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:21 pm

"He said that they had a recorded version playing each time and they played in time to that one recording."

Yes I figured that the first movie clip would have the basic rhythm and be the scratch track and I would use an ear bud monitoring to keep in sync for the rest. I guess that not knowing how to use the program yet leaves me with the questions of how to mix and match the scenes from each clip into the finished clip and how well does the sound follow this editing?

Is there a section in the book that shows how to take several parallel timeline footages and pull sections from each into a final film? :-k

As you all can see, I have the notions, but not the motions. ::C
braindeadsoftwareguy

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:10 am

:wcm:

Just wanted to say welcome and to reiterate - we all started out at the point where you are now so never feel afraid to ask questions.

We are here to help and, because we are scattered around the world, there is likely someone on line that very quickly can respond to any questions that you have within a short time of you making the posting.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:39 am

For example you have recorded 4 clips. Place those on 4 separate tracks stacked on top of each other. You will then have to sync them up based on the audio. Track 1 clip may start first then the clip on Track 2 may have to move over a few frames to sync, and so on. You could also edit the in points of the clip to get rid of excess frames not needed first and zoom into the timeline to nudge the clips left or right a few frames to sync.

Here is a very good tutorial by Chuck that shows how to multi track edit: "Multi-Track Transitions" Parts 1 & 2

http://www.muvipix.com/products.php?page=2&subcat_id=46
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby braindeadsoftwareguy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:55 pm

"...and now for something completely different...."
Firstly, thank you Two Sheds for your encouragement. You are obviously a Monty Python fan. :tup: I was born in Devon so have the warped English humour (UK spelling) genetically ingrained. I will continue to plod along. Don't forget I also have a bunch of other software editors for music, that are in the same boat. I don't have enough life left to get to them all :(
Also to A.K.A. Cheryl, I will go to the multitrack tutorial you mentioned and get an idea of things to come.
braindeadsoftwareguy

Return to PRE Version 10