They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pre10 Modifies Unedited Source Files

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Pre10 Modifies Unedited Source Files

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:46 am

:OOPS:

I just noticed that Premiere Elements 10 is modifying the "unedited" source video files which in turn causes the Windows operating system to change the "date modified" file attribute. That "date modified" file attribute is suppose to contain the date I took the video. Now I don't know when those videos were taken.

The source files are modified sometime when they are imported for the first time into Premiere Elements. Probably Premiere Elements is adding some metadata.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Pre10 Modifies Unedited Source Files

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:56 am

Can the original time/date be restored with a program like DV Date?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:15 am

Steve,
I believe RJ is referring to the File Date, not the DV timecode. There are utilities that will allow you to change the Date/Time timestamp on a file. Some of the older ones are like Norton Utilities or PC-Tools. Here is a freebie from PC-Tools to allow you to change the Date/Time.

http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/timestamp/

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:02 pm

RJ Johnston wrote::OOPS:

I just noticed that Premiere Elements 10 is modifying the "unedited" source video files which in turn causes the Windows operating system to change the "date modified" file attribute. That "date modified" file attribute is suppose to contain the date I took the video. Now I don't know when those videos were taken.

The source files are modified sometime when they are imported for the first time into Premiere Elements. Probably Premiere Elements is adding some metadata.

Rob,

1 -- Do you have any ideas what function of Premiere Elements 10 is modifying the source video file ? and what specifically is modified within the video file ?

My first suspicion would be that it is the Elements Organizer component and that it is likely the Auto Analysis function. However, there could be other workflows which also cause modification.

2 -- FYI - I did see a reference once to a person using the Windows file functions settings to prevent Adobe Elements software from modifying his video files and effectively destroying the date modified (date taken). I don't have any additional details.

Also, I don't think this behavior is new to PE 10 although some specifics of what happens could be different. I think that it goes back to PE 8 and PSE 8.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:17 pm

"Date Modified" is supposed to change when an application updates either the content or metadata. Is there some reason you can't use "Date Created"? "Date Created" would be a more logical choice for keeping track of when it was shot since that date doesn't change.
Bob

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:53 pm

The "Date created" attribute is the date the file is put in a folder. If you copy or move files to a different folder, the "date created" attribute changes on the files in the new folder. I usually delete the folder I copied from, thus those files and their original "date created" are gone.

Marking all my MP4 and MOV files as "Read Only" prevents Premiere Elements from modifying them.

I have a utility called "Touch" that can change the file attributes back to what they were. I'm just glad I had only a few files that I was using in Premiere Elements.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:49 pm

The IPTC core specification provides a "Date created" attribute specifically for the creation date of an image (still or video) that doesn't change when you move or copy a file, but it isn't displayed by Windows Explorer. I agree that if you aren't using applications that support IPTC core, that is a problem. Bridge and the Creative suite products support it as do some non-Adobe products.
Bob

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:29 am

Thanks, Bob. I can read the date with several other apps. So all is not lost.

I reported this to the authorities (Photoshop Group).
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 10