They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Suite 12

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Re: Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Suite 12

Postby vkmast » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:26 am

BuddyB,
it's often recommended to keep the earlier version, at least until you know that the new version is working well. The same goes for finishing a project in the version that you started, so don't change in the middle of the project.
Personally, I now have Movie Studio Platinum versions 10, 11, 12 and 13 plus Vegas Pro 10, 11 and 12 installed on the same machine. Some of them are for comparison's sake now of course though. I have not experienced any compatibility problems that I could attribute to having them all.
vkmast

Postby mcgregni » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:15 am

I'm sure thats good advice. I was curious, so I did load a PLat 11 project into 13, and it actually worked perfectly - even things like different track heights were still there, plus media bins, and all the files etc. So I was able to pick up on the exsisting project with no issues.

Only thing though - when making a 'save' in 13 on this exsisting 11 project, it said that from that point on the project would no longer be compatable with the older version - so I 'saved as' with a different name just to be safe.

That could be a way forward - open the project in 13 and carry on with it. Save it with a new name, then if there are any problems further along you still have the original older project to go back to. But, really, everything seems to work just fine in 13 - and there's plenty of help available here if any of us can't find something. :tup:

And also, there didn't seem to be any need to uninstall the old version - they both seem to coexsist happily.
mcgregni
New User
New User

Postby vkmast » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:14 am

mcg,
Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio project file compatibility
"Projects created in newer versions of Vegas (Movie Studio or Pro) will not open in older versions of the software."
https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/ ... a_id/4258/
vkmast

Postby BuddyB » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:25 am

vkmast wrote:BuddyB,
it's often recommended to keep the earlier version, at least until you know that the new version is working well. The same goes for finishing a project in the version that you started, so don't change in the middle of the project.

Great info thanks..and the reason for my post in that regard. I 'm curious about the difference in Pro and Platinum.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby vkmast » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:41 am

BuddyB,
here's one article on the differences (v 12)
http://www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tuto ... latinum-12
vkmast

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:40 pm

And, of course, there's this helpful chart.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby vkmast » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Steve,
I didn't dare to give that comparison table link twice in the same thread ;)
vkmast

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:11 pm

Oops.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mcgregni » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:50 am

One thing I guess that remains true - the Platinum range still offers by far the most 'bang per buck'. As I've already described the performance boost experienced is worth the upgrade price alone - still have to try a long video rendering process, but I suppose I should be confident.

Another point about the interface - the links on media events (such as the symbol for FX, Media Generators, Pan / Crop), are now very large, and in fact on smaller events take up most of the space, so it can be a bit difficult to find an empty spot to just select or move the event. Obviously expanding the timeline can help, but I think I will remain fairly limited on a laptop screen. I imagine that on bigger displays it would be possible to increase resolution settings and that would help bring the size of the symbols down?
mcgregni
New User
New User

Postby vkmast » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:58 am

mcgregni wrote:- the links on media events (such as the symbol for FX, Media Generators, Pan / Crop), are now very large, and in fact on smaller events take up most of the space, so it can be a bit difficult to find an empty spot to just select or move the event. Obviously expanding the timeline can help, but I think I will remain fairly limited on a laptop screen.

I don't see them as a problem in selecting(/moving). Surely I may have to expand the timeline a bit on some occasions, but usually I hover and get the hand symbol, then just click(/hold the left button down and drag). A bigger problem may be finding (even the bigger) buttons on the short events, but then I can use right-clicking on the events. Been doing this on a 15" laptop screen for a couple of versions incl. 13 now.
vkmast

Previous

Return to Vegas