They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD Burning

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

DVD Burning

Postby fekobel » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Is it possible to Render an AVCHD video to a format that can be used to burn a DVD that will play on a non Blu ray player?
fekobel
New User
New User

Re: DVD Burning

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:40 pm

Yes... and no.

DVD Architect no longer officially supports it (for murky legal reasons, I've heard). But you can output an AVCHD video from DVD Architect and burn it to a DVD, as long as it's less than 20-25 minutes long.

Just port your video over to DVD Architect from Vegas/Movie Studio using the Render As template for Sony AVC/AVCHD 1920x1080 60i (or 50i for PAL TV). This will send the file over as a combined audio and video stream. (You can also send the video and audio over separately and recombine them in DVD Architect if you'd prefer.)

Set up your DVD Architect's Properties to BluRay/AVCHD -- and make sure your disc size doesn't exceed 4.2 or so.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:12 pm

If you are talking about burning high definition video to a regular DVD disk and playing it on a standard DVD player, the answer is NO. Regular DVD players do not support high definition. You need a Blu-Ray player to play high definition. You can, however, take a high definition avchd video and burn it as a standard definition mpeg2 DVD and play that on a standard DVD player.

Steve was referring to burning avchd on a DVD disc as an avchd disc (no longer supported by dvd architect) or formatted as if it were a Blu-ray disc. That still requires a Blu-ray player to play and not all such players will support avchd on dvd.
Bob

Postby vkmast » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:46 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:DVD Architect no longer officially supports it (for murky legal reasons, I've heard). But you can output an AVCHD video from DVD Architect and burn it to a DVD, as long as it's less than 20-25 minutes long.
----
Set up your DVD Architect's Properties to BluRay/AVCHD -- and make sure your disc size doesn't exceed 4.2 or so.

This topic was recently discussed in the thread below
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=12645
which includes this observation re DVD AS
bbrener wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:However, you can still output BluRay file to a DVD if you keep it below 20 minutes (or 40 minutes on a dual layer DVD).

Steve, you cannot 'fool' it. It insists on having a writable BluRay disk even with a 5 minute video.

So Bob's probably more correct in saying that it's "no longer supported by dvd architect".
My experience (MS/Vegas workflow) is that it's the DVD A Studio build 128/the DVD A Pro build 124 or ImgBurn (or similar) if you want to burn AVCHD on a DVD to play on many of the Blu-ray players and Sony PS3.
vkmast

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:20 am

>Steve, you cannot 'fool' it. It insists on having a writable BluRay disk even with a 5 minute video.

What if, rather than burning directly to a disc, you create a BluRay "prepared file" ISO, and then use ImgBurn to burn that to a DVD?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby vkmast » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:11 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:What if, rather than burning directly to a disc, you create a BluRay "prepared file" ISO, and then use ImgBurn to burn that to a DVD?

Steve, exactly so, as the previous thread showed. Choose prepare, not burn in the current versions of DVD Architect(s).
The users who are burning AVCHD on DVD with the MS/Vegas workflow must accept that.
vkmast

Return to Vegas