They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Panasonic Camcorder Frame Rate Question

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Panasonic Camcorder Frame Rate Question

Postby bbrener » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:15 pm

My camcorder's default mode (HA) is 1920x1080-60i and when I use this mode and import into MS12 using the settings of a clip, the frame rate is 29.97 and the setting is HD 1080-60i (1920x1080, 29.970 fps). It has 3 other modes at 1920-1080-60i, but I have not tested those. I am sure they are compressed to use less space (the manual shows lower bit rates for each). Bit rate for HA mode is 17MBps.
However it also has a 1920-1080-60p mode for higher HD quality (bit rate per the manual is 28mbps). When I import into MS12, it shows Custom (1920x1080, 59.940 fps).
Should I leave it like this while editing, or should I set it to HD 1080-60i (1920x1080, 29.970 fps) which would normally be what the output is rendered at?
Trying to understand how I use the 60p mode to benefit me quality wise when I render.

Thanks again
Brian
bbrener
New User
New User

Re: Panasonic Camcorder Frame Rate Question

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:13 pm

If you used the Match Project Settings to Video Media tool to set your project properties, trust that Movie Studio has set the project for the best performance.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:22 pm

It may also depend on what is intended for the delivery of the vids. If Blueray then higher bit may be better. If DVD then the lowest bit rate would do. My Sony cameras also have 3 choices for recording. I use the lowest one 17mbps as I have found no real difference in viewing on my big screen pany TV. If you just want to archive those videos then I would use the highest bitrate mode.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby bbrener » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks again.
bbrener
New User
New User

Postby mcgregni » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:32 pm

These days with larger recording capacity on cameras (and SD cards for DSLRs also) I guess it makes sense to record video at the maximum settings - the original footage can become high quality archival material then. I suppose if you know for sure its only going to be used on the internet you could set lower quality, but then I like to always think I'm getting the best out of my camera!

As Steve said earlier ticking the 'match media properties' box in project properties will get MS set up well for the camera clips - I think the main things here are the resolution and aspect ratio, the bit rate is not such a concern as far as I know. This way you'll know MS is working with the best quality available from the files, and when outputting your video the you can fine tune the templates for the best bitrate (and audio too) for the intended purpose.

I've got a system of archiving originals where I keep all my camera 'clips' (at full quality) on double layer DVDs - quite economic and reliable. I may never use a lot it again, but its there as a backup if needed, and it doesn't eat up any USB disk drive space.
mcgregni
New User
New User

Return to Vegas