They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

No video with Movie Studio 12 Platinum and .MOV file

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

No video with Movie Studio 12 Platinum and .MOV file

Postby donjax » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:06 pm

I have Sony Movie Platinum 12 on a Windows 8 PC and get only audio and no video with a .mov video file.QuickTime version 7.7.4is installed
There is a message that says "Video: stream attributes could not be determined." Don't know the brand name of the camera for these files but the following file attributes were obtained using Media Info.
Video
ID:1
Format: MPEG-4
Commerical name: XDCAM EX 35
Format version: Version 2
Format profile: Main@High
Format settings, BVOP: Yes
Format settings, Matrix: Custom
Format settings, GOP: M=3, N=15
Codec ID: xdv1
Bit rate mode: Variable
Bit rate 34.0 Mbps
Maximum bit rate: 35.0 Mbps
Width: 1248 Pixels
Orginal Width:1280 pixels
Height: 702 pixels
Display aspect ratio: 16:9
Frame rate: 29.970 fps
Encoded date: UTC 2013-10-05 14;00;44
Tagged date: UTC 2013-10-05 14:00:44

Other
ID:3
Type: Time code
Format: QuickTime TC
Bit rate mode:CBR
Any tip or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
donjax
New User
New User

Re: No video with Movie Studio 12 Platinum and .MOV file

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:21 am

This question might get more attention in our Vegas/Movie Studio forum. Is it okay if we move this discusion there?

Meantime, you don't say what model of camcorder this video is coming from, but it appears to be a professional XDCAM. As you can see on this chart on the Sony site, Movie Studio is not capable of editing XDCAM video. If this is the case, you may need to upgrade to Vegas Pro to edit this file.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare

It's also got some very unusual specs. Are you sure the resolution is 1248x702?

Meantime, did the camcorder come with software? If so, you may want to install that on your computer. This software MIGHT install the xdv1 cocdec and MIGHT make Movie Studio able to edit it. (Also, ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements.)

Sometimes adding a codec can make a program compatible with a video source. However, in this case it does appear that you're working with a professional format, which is very likely beyond Movie Studio's capabilities.

Let us know what develops.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby donjax » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:33 pm

It would appreciate it if you would move this post to the Vegas Movie Studio forum, thanks. Hopefully there might be some fix that could work with Sony Movie Studio because the cost of Vagus Pro software is a show stopper for me.

Unfortunately I do not know the model number of the Sony Camcorder that was the source for the video file but I think you are right in that it is probably a XDCAM. I volunteered to do some basic video editing for a friend that had obtained the files from a professional AV organization and no doubt they have professional Sony Camcorders etc.

Your question ( ..."It's also got some very unusual specs. Are you sure the resolution is 1248x702?") these specs were recorded from Mediainfo but the VLC Media Player shows them as 1280x720 which sound more likely.

VLC Media Player also says the Codec is MPEG-1/2 Video (xdv1).
These files would not open using QuickTime version 7.7.4. I get a message window stating: "Additional software is required for QuickTime to playback this media. It may be available from the QuickTime Components page." I checked out that site but soon discovered how much I don't know about this video stuff.

When I cancel this message and attempt to play the file with the QuickTime Player I get the same result as with Sony Movie Studio - sound only and no video.
However, the same file plays fine using the VLC Media Player???
donjax
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:18 pm

I moved the topic to the Vegas forum as requested.

VLC includes the code to decode video directly within the application and doesn't depend on external codecs. It can handle many different types of video and audio. Vegas and Quicktime use external codecs. Apparently, the required codec did not come with your software.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:41 pm

And it does appear to be XDCAM video, which Movie Studio is not capable of editing.

Unless someone knows a hack to make Movie Studio do the job, you may need to have someone with the Pro version of Vegas convert it for you.

Or you can download the free trial of Vegas Pro and see if it will open the video. If so, you can then output it as a high-def file that Movie Studio can work with. (Try using the Render As template for Sony AVC/AVCHD 1920x1080 60i.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:25 am

More info here on how to convert XDCAM vids so that you can edit it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_Exchange_Format
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Vegas