They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Output DVD movie using a blu ray disk

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Output DVD movie using a blu ray disk

Postby mikesteve » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:37 pm

I am using SMS12 Platinum. I am editing video from 20 home movie DVD's in standard format to make a 1 or 2 disk movie using a blu ray disk for output due to the size of the file. My question is when I get ready to burn the project will movie studio and DVDA 5 recognize I have inserted a blank blu ray disk in my blue ray burner?

At this time I still have a long way to go in editing and I am not sure just how long the final project will be. I planned to have a lot of scene selection menus and am creating markers as I edit.

Thnaks,

Mike

Windows 7 pro, 3930k 3.2 ghz, 64gb ram, 2-3tb HD's
mikesteve
New User
New User

Re: Output DVD movie using a blu ray disk

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:36 am

I don't belive DVD Architect is capable of burning DVD files to a BluRay disc, Mike.

The largest it lets you set your Target Media Size for a DVD is 8.5 gig to a dual-layer disc. So, no, you can't output a 25 gig DVD. At least not one with menus and scene markers.

CORRECTION:
This may be possible after all!

Go under the File menu and select Properties and set Disc Format to BluRay. Make sure Video Format is MPEG2 and Bit Rate is 8.000. Then set Resolution to 720x480.

That SHOULD burn a BluRay disc with 25 gigs of space.

The only challlenge is (and I'd check this before putting too much work into it) it may not play on a DVD player. You may only be able to play it on a BluRay player.

Please let us know if this works!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikesteve » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks for the info. I only have blue ray players at home to play them on so I am not worried about that. I will keep you posted. I am going to continue to edit the dvd's until I get done. If it doesn't work, I guess I will use DL disks and split the movie into smaller segments.

Mike
mikesteve
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:53 am

I keep a Blu-ray rewriteable disc on hand so that I can make test discs without the expense. It would come in handy for this situation or for trying out your projects before burning to a final disc. It seems that no matter how many times I review a project on my computer I see things on my TV that I want to tweak before calling it quits. At the price of discs it didn't take me long for it to pay for itself, but it depends on how many projects you do.

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/ ... er-bne25rh

I also keep a rewriteable DVD for the same purpose.

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/ ... -94520-1pk
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby mikesteve » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:05 am

I am going to get a bd-re for testing. I have tons of dvd-rw's, but the 25gb will do what I need to do for testing. I found the Sony for $9.99 and a Kodak for $3.99 at Fry's Electronics. I checked at those prices are correct. I am driving over there today to get them.

Thanks,

Mike
mikesteve
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:46 am

If it's not too late, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Kodak. I know it's cheap, but you get what you pay for. I know of a number of people over the years who have had trouble with Kodak discs. I've used the Sony dozens of times with excellent results. In discs I'd normally recommend Taiyo Yuden (Ty Yuden) or Verbatim, but their rewriteables seem to be prohibitively expensive for my budget.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby mikesteve » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:32 pm

Fry's was out of the Sony (discontinued item) so I got the Kodak. I have been using the bd-r Kodak disks and haven't had a problem yet. I'll try the rewritable one and if it doesn't work then I'll get the Sony online.

Mike
mikesteve
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Hope it works well for you. Post back and let us know the results when you do the burn.

Dave McElderry

Postby mikesteve » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:06 am

I have finished editing the 22 years of video and got it down to 10 hours of movie time. After rendering the movie in Vegas, I clicked send to DVDA and DVDA 5 starts to open. It stalls after a few seconds and goes to not responding. The only thing it kept saying is "processing command line".

I could not get it to open and now I assume the file is too large for DVDA. I ended up breaking the files down into five 2-hour movies and it worked fine. I guess there is a limit to how big the file is for DVDA to handle. I don't think the computer is the problem, because it is new and I built it just for handling these situations. It has 64gb ram with the I3930 second gen processor.

I might try to break the movie down to 5 hours each and see if I can get it to open. In Vegas, everything works fine all the way through rendering.

Mike
mikesteve
New User
New User

Return to Vegas