They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Moving Clip from one track to another

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Moving Clip from one track to another

Postby FranklyJudy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:05 pm

Received Steve's book 2 days ago,I have learned quite a bit from it already, but some of my questions are just too basic, I guess. For instance, I'm attempting to move a clip from a ways away in Track 4 and add it to the clips in Track 1. I highlight the clip in Track 4 and attempt to drag it to Track 1 and the program gives me a serious error and shuts down. Rebooting the machine has not helped.
FranklyJudy
New User
New User

Re: Moving Clip from one track to another

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:44 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, Judy. And thanks for supporting the book!

What kind of camcorder is your video from? And which settings did you select when you set up your project?

The reason I ask is that some AVCHD camcorders shoot in 5.1 audio. And, if you try to add 5.1 audio to a project set up for stereo, it will go to track 4.

Could that be the case in your situation?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 pm

Welcome FranklyJudy to Muvipix. :wcm: Steve's book is very good and I highly recommend the tutorials here too.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby FranklyJudy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:34 am

I had used the ADSTech DVDXpressDX2 to take the video from a VHS tape to the computer. I then coverted all files to AVI before beginning.
I put different segments on different tracks intentionally so I could keep organized. I was taking segments from two different videos and blending them into one.

I think I solved the move problem, only to face another. My video section that I wanted to move was made up of several small clips with several transitions. I discovered that if I grouped them, and then dragged them straight down to Track 1 I could move them over by deleting the space between them. Worked fine. (BTW, is there a way to group a bunch of clips without clicking on each one individually and also clicking each transition?)

I made such good progress tonight that I am now ready to render the video into a movie. I can't see how to do that. Also, several of the transitions and some titles have the red line above them. Don't know where to go to fix those either. I'm sure my problem is due to the fact that I'm expecting this program to work like the one I formerly used.
FranklyJudy
New User
New User

Postby Paul LS » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:38 am

You can temporarily group them inorder to move them quickly. Just click and hold on the timeline and lasso all the clips and transitions. They are then grouped, click on one of the clips and you can drag all of them together. When you click somewhere else in the timeline they will become ungrouped.

To render the timeline hit the Enter key on your keyboard... note you do not need to render before exporting your timeline.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby FranklyJudy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:03 am

Wow! Thank you! I'm off to give it a try.
BTW, I called Adobe today because I have decided I need more machine and am about purchase an I-7 gen 2, Win7 64-bit, 16 RAM, 2 500Gig HD's, HD ATI 6770 video card. I called to ask them if PRE9 would run on new 64-bit machine. The "indian" after several minutes on hold, assured me the program would run fine. Should I be looking for a 64-bit version of the program? Does it exist? If it's only 32-bit will I see any improvement?
FranklyJudy
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:11 am

It will run but PrEl is 32 bit, I think. Premiere Pro is 64 bit.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Paul LS » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:49 am

You should definately go with the 64 bit system, as John says PE9 will work just fine on Win 7 64-bit. Plus you are future proofing your system... all video editors are moving to 64 bit applications because of the advantages you get with the availability of the extra memory.

Also as John says Premiere Pro 5 and the latest 5.5 versions are only available as 64 bit applications... a 32 bit OS would be no good.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:14 am

FYI, if Adobe follows the same release schedule as in the past, Premiere Elements 10 will be released soon (September/October). I don't know whether there will be any 64-bit capability in that or not. Anyone that would know is under non-disclosure.

I agree with Paul. Unless there is an exceptional reason for why you need to go with 32-bit Windows 7, go with the 64-bit version.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:06 am

BTW, there's also a very good chance the problem is caused by your capturing your video with the ADSTech DVDXpressDX2. This is a capture device that's designed to capture video pretty much for use with the editing software that comes with it (which I believe is called ArcSoft ShowBiz). Editing video from that device in Premiere Elements can cause all sorts of unpredictable behavior.

To capture analog video, we at Muvipix recommend the ADS Pyro AV Link, a FireWire-connected device that captures any video input as DV-AVIs, the universal language of PC-based video editors.

You may have too much time and money invested at this point to switch capture devices in mid-stream -- but ultimately, if you plan to edit with Premiere Elements, you should strongly consider using it with the right hardware. It will save you lots of headaches in the long run.

Meantime, with your current video, I'd recommend doing a short test run. Take some video, put it on the timeline and burn it to a DVD. Just to see what the results look like. You may find that, with video from that device, there are problems that won't even appear until you produce your DVD -- and that's something you don't want to find out after you've put hours and hours into a project!

Either that or finish this project in the editing software that came with the ADSTech DVDXpressDX2. Then, going forward, use a device, like the ADS Pyro AV Link, that you know will work with Premiere Elements.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby FranklyJudy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:13 am

Steve,
I would like to have the correct hardware to do the job gracefully, and have been looking for the ADS Tech Pyro A/V Link. It is no longer being manufactured. I have found one used device. Don't know how safe it is to purchased used. It doesn't have the software with it, but that's OK because I don't need the software. The one I'm seeing advertised to take it's place is by Canopus. Would that be a wise alternative?

Also, I'm looking for another book. I love the Guide to PRE 9, but I need something that I can look up terms in for a better understanding. While all this stuff probably is covered in the book I have, I don't know how to find it most of the time. Which of your other publications do you recommend?
FranklyJudy
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:54 am

I'm sorry to see the Pyro AV Link go! It's long been a favorite here at Muvipix.

Although the next step up -- the Canopus ADVC -- does not cost much more, and it includes a time base corrector, which could give you an even better capture. Like the Pyro, it connects via FireWire and captures your video as DV-AVI.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy a used and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurbished unit. Amazon retailers are selling it for as little as $175.

As for more advanced books on Premiere Elements -- Well, that's why we created this site. There really isn't much support for Premiere Elements. Not even from Adobe (who offers nothing but a "Classroom in a Book.")

Fortunately, here at Muvipix we've got tutorials and tips on just about every aspect of the program. What do you want to learn to do? Capture analog with a DV bridge? We've got tutorials.

Book-wise, we offer both our basic Muvipix.com guides and our "Cool Tricks & Hot Tips" book for creating special effects.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote: Although the next step up -- the Canopus ADVC -- does not cost much more, and it includes a time base corrector, which could give you an even better capture. Like the Pyro, it connects via FireWire and captures your video as DV-AVI.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy a used and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurbished unit. Amazon retailers are selling it for as little as $175.

It depends on which Canopus model we're talking about. The ADVC110 does not have TBC. You need to step up to the ADVC300 for that. However, for most applications you'd probably not need the TBC. It does make a difference if you're capturing from a source where the video signal has had disruption and is corrupted.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Paul LS » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:36 pm

Yes, the ADVC110 is equivalent to the Pyro AV Link. I have both (well... the older ADVC100) and to all intents and purposes they are interchangable.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby FranklyJudy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:43 pm

Thank you fellas for your input. I have gone ahead and ordered the Pyro AV/Link used..

Perhaps you can point me to a new instruction now. I have the VIDEO_TS folders which I created in PE9. (After making the mistake of first trying to take them directly to DVD.) I have done both the 8.5 and am currently creating the 4.7 version files on my hard drive. (My file is a little over 5 G) I have gone through the complete Disk Menu process, placing scene markers in the timeline, then creating the Disk Menu complete with thumbnails. I can't seem to get those folders to a DVD that will recognize and use the Menu I created. (I'm working with 2 machines here. The one I am replacing won't open PE9, and the Notebook where I created everything doesn't have a DL writer.) I have Nero as a burning software, but get an error message about Compilation when I try to simply copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the DVD. My deadline for completion is fast approaching and I feel lost.
FranklyJudy
New User
New User

Next

Return to PRE Version 9