They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HELP needed to determine best format for exporting project

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

HELP needed to determine best format for exporting project

Postby ifoundabuddy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:49 pm

I am certainlly a novice, but have learned what i have learned from just suffering through the process, which has been extremely frustrating to me, despite many hours on the phone with Adobe, each time being given totally different information, and making me even more frustrated. Hope this forum will shed light on it for me.

I have put together what i consider a decent project, and finished editing it and rendering it, and was all ready to burn it to a blu ray, but it won't let me because 'the media is not there" or so it states. It does not give me the opportunity to burn to the disc at all. But i know better, i know it is there, all 45 GB of it.

I just purchased Steve Grisetti's book, Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 9 which makes a lot of sense and opens up many new avenues for the next project. But now i am trying to save the one i have spent weeks accomplishing, I am sure there are enough mistakes i have made, but i thought this would be the simplest process. I read his section on the 'burn disc' workaround, and figured i could accomplish that without any significant difficulties, but a lot of questions quickly came to me. First of all, i have followed the suggestions of Adobe in trying to keep the maximum quality because this is the trip of my lifetime, i am trying to assemble. So i have tried to go with the best quality i could from the beginning. Adobe said that the max for Premiere Elements was 1080x1920 so i set that as my preset. I chose DSLR 1080p30@29.92 which was their recommendation because i am using still pictures from my DSLR camera. I resized all the pictures to be less than the max although they were not all the same since i put in vertical as well as horizontal photographs but that didn't present anything that was a problem to me.

Now that i have the finished project, i have reread Steve's suggestions and i am still confused. So why is my media' missing when i go to burn the disc, without using the workaround, or perhaps this is the reason i do need to use the burn disc workaround. He says to create a 'pure' AVI project. But earlier in the chapter he said that AVI was for a standard video. At least my efforts have been to create a high definition video, even though i have used criteria higher than what Steve recommends as far as the initial size photographs are concerned. So does that mean i need to save it as MPEG instead of a AVI in hopes of getting better quality. I tried that and shortly into it, i got a popup saying that my memory was being maxedl and to save and proceed carefully, and this was only 5% of the way to rendering and saving it to a computer file. I have 8GB of RAM and everyone says that is plenty of memory for Premeiere Elements???? And am i sacrificing quality by going to a AVI at this point. The other question am i destined based on the preset i started the project with????? ANYONE out there that can help clear this up for me???? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
ifoundabuddy
New User
New User

Re: HELP needed to determine best format for exporting proje

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Welcome to Muvipix.

When you say Premiere Elements 9 tells you the media is not there, you saw that message in the share panel for burning the Blu-Ray disc -- correct? Media in that context is referring to the disc media, not your video. In other words, you don't have a blank Blu-Ray disc in your Blu-Ray burner. Insert a blank Blu-Ray disc into your burner and that message should go away.

The project preset you selected should be fine. You are correct, avi is standard definition and you don't want that if you are trying to create a high definition project.

Premiere Elements is a 32-bit application which means it can only see 4GB of memory. And, some of that will be reserved for the operating system's use. It is possible to run out of memory. That's one of the reasons you should use resized images. Full sized photos as they come out of your camera will require more memory to process.
Bob

Postby ifoundabuddy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Thanks Bob for your reply. Yes, i saw that the media was not there on the share panel for burning the Blu ray disc, but i just opened a brand new 50GB disc and put it in the burner when i did that. So i guess i just end up throwing that one away and trying another new one? Did i do something that would have wrecked a brand new disc? Expensive little buggers!!

So are you saying that with doing a high definition project, i will not be able to do the entire burn because of Premiere Elements with only 8 GB of RAM? When it said i was running out of memory was when i was trying to burn the project to a folder in Windows instead of burning the blu ray disc because of the ' no media.' I was only 5% done when i got that pop-up so i figured i would never complete the task, so i cancelled it.

As far as resizing, are you saying that my max of 1080x1920 as suggested to me by Adobe techs is going to make this project an impossibility to complete? Does that mean i start over again? Yes those files were huge before i downsized, but i assume i should have resized them even more!!????

And is there any benefit of using a HDV preset for such a project over DSLR as suggested in Steve's book?

I appreciate any input, because i won't call India again. That was one of the most frustrating experiences so far, but i was quickly getting there again today when it looked like everything i was trying was a no go.

Thanks for any input you can give!!!!
ifoundabuddy
New User
New User

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Bob wrote:Premiere Elements is a 32-bit application which means it can only see 4GB of memory. And, some of that will be reserved for the operating system's use. It is possible to run out of memory. That's one of the reasons you should use resized images. Full sized photos as they come out of your camera will require more memory to process.

Bob, I thought it was XP 32-bit that could use only 4GB of memory but that Win7 64-bit could use a lot more, and that this is why I never get the "out of memory" message since I began using the machine and software (PRE7) in my signature--even when I've had nearly 500 HD slides on my PRE7 timeline.

Am I misunderstanding something?

:tx:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ifoundabuddy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:49 pm

that is certainly my dilemma. If it says i am running out of memory and i have only downloaded 5% of 45GB of high definition slides and have 8 GB of memory, how much do i really need? Yes, i was trying to burn it to a folder rather than a disc, but would that explain the difference. I have never burned a disc of any sort that had more than the 4 GB to a regular DVD. So doing it to blu ray is a new experience for me.

Ron
ifoundabuddy
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:37 am

Ron, you should consider buying a rewritable Blu-Ray disc for testing. That way you won't end up creating a bunch of expensive coasters.

It's going to take a few posts to cover all the areas, let's begin with memory.

I'm assuming you have Windows 7 64-bit since you have 8GB of RAM installed. The 32-bit version of Windows can only use 4GB of RAM (anything installed above that cannot be used).

One thing you need to understand is that there are two types of memory. RAM, which is the physical memory installed in your computer, and virtual memory, which is data that resides on a disk or other storage media and is only brought into RAM as needed. Only Windows can directly utilize RAM -- RAM is managed by the operating system and is shared dynamically between everything that is running. Your 8GB of installed RAM should be more than enough for what you are doing.

Applications only use virtual memory. To the application, virtual memory looks like RAM. But, because it is actually just data stored somewhere, it's independent of the RAM you have installed. Whether you have 1GB of RAM installed or 8GB, a 32-bit application will see 4GB of virtual memory available. The operating system handles the job of juggling virtual memory into and out of RAM as needed -- totally transparent to the executing application.

The memory you are running out of is virtual memory, not RAM. Although the application can see 4GB, that 4GB is divided into two halves. 2GB for the application to use, and 2GB for the operating system to use. If the application requires more than the 2GB limit, it will run out of virtual memory. Windows 7 64-bit will allow a 32-bit application to allocate more like 3GB, but 1GB is still needed for other purposes. To be able to use that extra virtual memory above 2GB, the application must be "large address space aware". Applications that are not so marked will still be limited to 2GB.

More to come...
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:03 am

Bob wrote:Ron, you should consider buying a rewritable Blu-Ray disc for testing. That way you won't end up creating a bunch of expensive coasters.

That is definitely the thing to do. As you say, BD discs are expensive. By the way, welcome to Muvipix. :wcm:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby ifoundabuddy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:45 am

Bob wrote:Ron, you should consider buying a rewritable Blu-Ray disc for testing. That way you won't end up creating a bunch of expensive coasters.

It's going to take a few posts to cover all the areas, let's begin with memory.

I'm assuming you have Windows 7 64-bit since you have 8GB of RAM installed. The 32-bit version of Windows can only use 4GB of RAM (anything installed above that cannot be used).

One thing you need to understand is that there are two types of memory. RAM, which is the physical memory installed in your computer, and virtual memory, which is data that resides on a disk or other storage media and is only brought into RAM as needed. Only Windows can directly utilize RAM -- RAM is managed by the operating system and is shared dynamically between everything that is running. Your 8GB of installed RAM should be more than enough for what you are doing.

Applications only use virtual memory. To the application, virtual memory looks like RAM. But, because it is actually just data stored somewhere, it's independent of the RAM you have installed. Whether you have 1GB of RAM installed or 8GB, a 32-bit application will see 4GB of virtual memory available. The operating system handles the job of juggling virtual memory into and out of RAM as needed -- totally transparent to the executing application.

The memory you are running out of is virtual memory, not RAM. Although the application can see 4GB, that 4GB is divided into two halves. 2GB for the application to use, and 2GB for the operating system to use. If the application requires more than the 2GB limit, it will run out of virtual memory. Windows 7 64-bit will allow a 32-bit application to allocate more like 3GB, but 1GB is still needed for other purposes. To be able to use that extra virtual memory above 2GB, the application must be "large address space aware". Applications that are not so marked will still be limited to 2GB.

More to come...

Thanks i have a guy coming to my house to try and help me and i will tackle the virtual memory which makes a lot of sense!!!!! And yes, i am working on a collection of blu ray coasters right now and i will definitely get some rewriteble ones. But i assume i should not keep the finished product on a rewritebable one once i get everything figured out. All great advice guys, i appreciate any little clues you can give me. Ron
ifoundabuddy
New User
New User

Postby ifoundabuddy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:10 pm

hi Bob, i think i found where to change the size of my virtual memory, which makes a lot of sense from your comments. I followed all the directions okay until it got to click a custom size in MB in the Initial size or maximum size, but it didn't give me any idea of whiat size to input there. My computer is a 1 TB hard drive, and i have 757GB free right now. What settings should i put in there? Slowly but surely i am getting there!!!!!

Thanks again, Ron
ifoundabuddy
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi Ron,
A standard setting is 2 1/2 times the amount of RAM, that was for Windows XP.
I'm not sure about Windows 7 and considering you have 8GB of RAM.
I would think that you could match the amount of RAM and put in about 8000 as the initial and maximum size.
It's worth a try, you can always change it later.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:35 am

ifoundabuddy wrote:....i assume i should not keep the finished product on a rewritebable one once i get everything figured out...

That's right. Once you are happy with the 'test' version on the re-writable then create a normal BD disc.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:17 am

Ron,

The Virtual memory section of the Performance Options has no effect on how much Virtual memory an application can see. The settings there control the size of the system paging file. The paging file is where the virtual memory allocated by individual tasks resides when it is not in RAM. Changing the size of the paging file affects the system wide availability of Virtual memory and not the amount available to any given application. The default to have the system manage the paging file size is fine for most people. The initial size defaults to the amount of installed RAM and the Maximum is three times that. I wouldn't recommend changing it unless you know what you are doing and why you are doing it. If you know what you are doing, you can even disable the paging file -- that's not generally recommended though. These settings can affect the stability and performance of your system. You would normally only want to increase the values there if you are getting messages about system wide virtual memory getting low. The messages you are getting from Premiere Elements most likely reflect Premiere Elements reaching the local 2GB or 3GB ceiling and not system wide memory.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 9