They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD template graphics won't go away

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

DVD template graphics won't go away

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:13 pm

I am trying to modify a PRE9 DVD template to (1) insert my own background image and (2) remove the graphics of the template. I can insert my image but I cannot make the original template graphics disappear.

I've looked through Steve's Tips and did a search of the site (859 matches) and I don't have an answer. Please help!

Thanks!
- Ron
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: DVD template graphics won't go away

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:38 pm

If I understand what you are trying to do, the only way is to edit the template in Photoshop Elements Ron.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:45 pm

You can do some customizing of the menus in Premiere Elements, of course. You can swap out the background, changes fonts, etc.

However, many templates have layers of graphics floating on layers above the background and, even if you swap out the background, the graphics are still there.

Is that what you're dealing with, Ron?

If so, the only solution (short of modifying the PSD template file, as Chuck says) is to use the Generic template (under the General category in Premiere Elements) or one of the modifiable generic templates on our site.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:32 pm

Yes Steve, that is what I'm dealing with.

I don't see a "Generic" DVD template in any of the PRE9 DVD template folders. What am I missing?

If I download one of the Muvipix templates, can I achieve what I'm striving for?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:10 pm

There should be a DVD menu called Generic One in the General category under Premiere Elements Disc Menus, Ron.

Otherwise, you can use practically any of the menu templates we have on Muvipix as a starting point. None of them have graphics on them, other than a background layer, so you can customize any one of them any way you want.

We have a couple of generic menu templates -- but these are so generic that they don't even have scene thumbnails on the menu pages. They use text-only scene links.

But you should be able to use any of the other menu templates, swap in a new background right in Premiere Elements and make it your own.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:45 pm

Here is what I tried:
- I downloaded the Generic Text DVD templates (HD and Widescreen) from Muvipix.
- I created a "Generic Text" folder in PRE9/DVD Templates/Common/Muvipix Templates.
- I pasted the four files (2 HD, 2 widescreen) in the "Generic Text" folder.
- I opened PRE9, selected "Disc Menus", and saw the Muvipix Templates. Good so far!
- I selected the Generic Text HD Menus (SD widescreen menus were NOT displayed).
- I inserted my own background image for the Main Menu and Scene Menus.
- I pressed "Preview" and clicked through all menus. Everything looked great!
- I chose Share>WebDVD>SD High Quality.
- When I clicked the resulting hyperlink to view the WebDVD, the Main Menu and Scene Menus did NOT have my background image; they had the original background! It was as if I never made any modifications to the menus at all.

I tried this process twice with PC reboot in between attempts. Same results. ](*,)

Questions:
1) Why do the SD widescreen menus not show up in Disc Menus? Is it because this project uses a HDV preset?
2) Why does my background image (JPEG) NOT show up in the WebDVD output?
3) Why do I not show a "Generic" DVD template in any folder within "Disc Menus"? Steve G assures me it's there, but I'm not seeing it.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:06 pm

And another thing...

I opened PSE9 to edit the Muvipix generic text templates. I replaced the background with my own image and saved the PSD file in the same folder as the original Muvipix DVD templates.

I open Windows Explorer and I can see the PSD file I created next to the original Muvipix templates.

I open my PRE9 project, select Disc Menus/Muvipix Templates, and the file I created was not visible but the Muvipix templates were.

What gives???
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:33 pm

I wish I knew, Ron. I've never seen this kind of behavior -- especially with our templates! So I don't know what to recommend.

Hopefully someone else has an idea.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Ron, have you watched the tutorial on installing DVD templates?
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

Maybe if you watch the tutorial you will notice something that isn't right ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:37 am

Thanks Chuck. My naming convention was incorrect. Now the modified PSD file appears in PRE9.

I have modified the Muvipix generic text template to include my company's image. That looks great! Unfortunately, I'm onto the "next" problem, which is that the text in the Muvipix generic template is white, as is most of my background image. Consequently, when I open the Disc Menu template in PRE I cannot see any text. I've tried dragging the cursor around hoping to highlight something so I could change its color, but that hasn't worked. Nor do I see an option in the Disc Menus properties to select all text and change its color.

I tried to modify the text color in PSE but all of the text layers have some property that doesn't allow modification.

I then tried to find a Muvipix template that has non-white text so I use it and replace the image in PSE. I found one that seemed hopeful but it was a PAL image and heaven knows how that would have turned out.

I still CANNOT find anything named "Generic" in the PRE Disc Menus, and I've looked in every folder. I just want to be able to have my company's image on the menu and screen selection screens. I don't need to insert any videos or sound, and I don't need any thumbnails.

So I'm still stuck. I need my company's image on the WebDVD splash screen but it's just not happening. I've tried inserting a background picture within Disc Menus, but that didn't work (final output did NOT include background image). I've modified the PSD file to include the correct image but now I can't see any text. I was supposed to have this project on my boss' desk today, but it looks like I'll be late. Clearly this can be done because custom templates exist, but why on earth am I having all these problems???
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:47 am

Ron, if you select any of the text blocks on a DVD template in the Disc Menus work area, you will find the option to change the text color (as well as the font and the text itself, if you double-click on it). I don't know why that's not happening.

I'm also not sure why you're not seeing the Generic One menu template in your Disc Menus library. It should be there, if you've installed both the program and the additional content disc.

In any event, drop me a private message or, better, write me at "steve" at this web site and I'll be glad to help you get a customized menu template together.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby neop » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:45 pm

I am seeing the same issues as Ron. PE9.0.1

PE9 only has one DVD template, all the rest are shills, selecting them pops up "Upgrade to Plus!" windows.

I can not edit the only available template. I can move some and adjust the graphics, but not delete them or substitute my own.

There is no Generic template under the General category in Premiere Elements Disc Menus.

All the templates on my system are tiny PNG files. It appears any template used is downloaded with each use.

The modifiable generic templates on your site are PSD files and PE9 does not display those properly in the Disc Menu (hollow outline) and drag-n-dropping them triggers a download and an error "This content is no longer available". Once this error occurs, the PSD files disappear from the folder, and all the original templates within PE9 are also hollow-outlines. This can not be reversed by closing the project, I must restart PE9.

Frustrating.
neop
New User
New User

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:49 am

Welcome neop to Muvipix! Someone will be along soon to help. :wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:29 am

Hi, Neop. Welcome to Muvipix!

Have you installed both the program and the ADDITIONAL CONTENT for the program on the second disc? This is where all of those extra templates are.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby neop » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Steve

Even thoughgh I'd not installed the second disk, I did install your templates in the indicated directories, and as I mentioned they would not work.

After installing the second disk, it could utilize your templates. Odd, but I am glad it is working.

Thanks
neop
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 9