They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

My Canon 7d videos are in .MOD format. Need .MOV Help

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

My Canon 7d videos are in .MOD format. Need .MOV Help

Postby luvsfotos » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:20 pm

I wanted to upload 3 videos I took with my Canon 7d still camera, in movie mode, ADCHD. Opened PE9, selected NEW PROJECT, chose setting ADCHD, FLASH..CAMERAS, then clicked on GET MEDIA.

First I tried to upload from the memory card to Premiere Elements 9. Got Message: files too big.

Next I uploaded the videos to Photoshop Elements 9 and then right-clicked and sent the videos to Premiere Elements 9 for editing. The movie files did show up and I dragged them to the Timeline. Problem: They were named:
MOV001.MOD
MOV002.MOD
...and so on.
So the format was .MOD. And Premiere messaged that the required codec was missing.
(I had already updated QuickTime).
I understand that Premiere Elements 9 requires .MOV, and I don't know how to change .MOD to .MOV. Anyone ever run into this?
luvsfotos
New User
New User

Re: My Canon 7d videos are in .MOD format. Need .MOV Help

Postby Paul LS » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:22 am

Hi luvsfotos, a big welcome to Muvipix. :wcm:

Are you sure they are .MOD files? The Canon 7d records videos in .MOV format using AVC / H.264 compression. To import them into PE9 you could just drag them to your desktop and use "Get Media from Files and Folders" to import them into PE9. To play and edit them you will need QuickTime installed.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:23 am

Hi, Fran. Glad you found your way over to Muvipix! I'm sure you'll find some helpful advice here.

But, meantime, a couple of questions:
1) Why are you using the AVCHD project settings? Your camera is a DSLR. Try opening a new project using the DSLR project setting that matches your video's resolution. This is very important, as selecting some of the presets can activate components necessary to work with certain video types.
2) Can you tell us more about your system? What operating system are you using, how fast is your processor and how much free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive? (Many people write this information in their profile signature so that it shows up whenever they post a question to this forum.) And do let us know if you're working with your video on a second or external drive. One possible issue for your out-of-space issue could be that your second hard drive is formatted FAT32 rather than NTFS. FAT32 drives choke on files over a certain size.

And, of course, ensure that you have all of your operating system's updateas and the latest version of Quicktime.

Finally, note that you are dealing with two separate issues here: The error code that says your video files are too large and the error code that you don't have the necessary codec installed. These two problems are likely unrelated to each other, so it's important that you tell us everything you can about your computer and project set-up.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:24 am

Hi, Paul. Yes, according to the online specs, the Canon 7D shoots .mod video -- which, if Fran is using the proper project settings, should be readable by version 9.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:26 am

Hi Steve, do you have a link to the spec? The files I have edited from the 7D have all been .MOV files.

Here is the spec I found:

FILE TYPE
Still Image Type JPEG: Fine, Normal (Exif 2.21 [Exif Print] compliant) / Design rule for Camera File system (2.0),
RAW: RAW, M-RAW, S-RAW (14bit, Canon original RAW 2nd edition),
Digital Print Order Format [DPOF] Version 1.1 compliant
RAW+JPEG Simultaneous Recording Yes, any combination of RAW + JPEG, M-RAW + JPEG, S-RAW + JPEG possible.
Image Size JPEG: (L) 5184x3456, (M) 3456x2304, (S) 2592x1728
RAW: (RAW) 5184x3456, (M-RAW) 3888x2592, (S-RAW) 2592x1728
Movie Type MOV (Video: H.264, Sound: Linear PCM) Movie Size 1920 x 1080 (29.97, 25, 23.976 fps)
1280 x 720 (59.94, 50 fps)
640 x 480 (59.94, 50 fps)
Movie Length Max duration 29min 59sec, Max file size 4GB
Folders New folders can be manually created and selected
File Numbering (1) Consecutive numbering
(2) Auto reset
(3) Manual reset
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:11 am

Now I'm confused myself, Paul!

MOVs makes much more sense. And these specs certainly confirm that it records as MOVs.
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/prod ... ifications

I'm not sure what I stumbled across that said MODs. Is it possible that it saves video as MODs in some formats (since the cam shoots in hi-def and standard-def resolutions). Lower-end Canon EOSs do, I believe.

Fran, can you confirm that you're working MOVs -- not MODs? This is very, very important to specific on.

And, Paul, do you have any idea what these .mod files are Fran keeps seeing? Maybe the problem is that they're not video files at all!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi Steve, I think it only records in .MOV format. If you go to this page and scroll down it shows all the video modes. Even in standard definition it records in .MOV
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E7D/E7DVIDEO.HTM
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks for confirming that, Paul.

So, Fran -- do you have any idea where these MOD files are coming from?

And do you see MOV files on the camcorder when you attach it to your computer's USB port and use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Flip,AVCHD and Camera Video Importer tool?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby luvsfotos » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks for the great welcome! Steve, I didn't realize who you are - you've literally written the book on this software! I'm humbled that you've spent so much time answering my confused description. Obviously I'm a beginner. Also, I didn't answer sooner as I was away.

My system: Velocity Micro Computer with Windows 7, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, not sure how fast but I know it is very fast. I'll see if I can find the specs.
I just looked at the link that describes Canon 7d videos and there it is, .MOV format. It's something I'm doing wrong for sure. Maybe I shouldn't call it AVCHD and will try using DSLR instead in a new project, as you suggested. I did describe what I did already to get that weird filename. What I want is to get .MOV instead. Hope your suggestions works. Will get back to you.
Fran
luvsfotos
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:17 am

What happens if you attach the camera to your computer via USB and then use Premiere Elements Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Camera tool to open the Video Importer?

The Video Importer should see only the video and still photo files on your camera.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9