They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Title flicker re-visited...

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Re: Title flicker re-visited...

Postby rvrkids » Tue May 03, 2011 8:06 pm

You were partially right.

Creating a second AVI file from my first AVI and deinterlacing did the trick for the text distortion on the "class of 2011" and on the flickery transitions but it caused other problems with my photos that were previously fine. Now the photos that are scaling in are distorted while moving, they look wavy like there is a heatwave, they did have that a little bit on the first avi file but it is much more noticeable on the second.

It did not help on my viewmaster keyframed photo movements on my other section. The photos look fine once the movement has stopped but during the movement they are terrible.

I am about to give up and just live with flickery /fragmented text and keyframed photo movement rather than wavy photos and go back to my original project.

It is just driving me crazy that there is nothing complicated here and why the problems?
rvrkids

Postby rvrkids » Tue May 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Okay, here is a little more info, don't know if it helps at all but...

I think creating the AVI file is causing some of the problem. When I burned my "class of 2011" section straight to DVD from the original project the text and transitions looked great. The pictures scaling in were a little wavy but acceptable. So, I don't know what happens when an AVI file is created and somehow I need to combine all of my sections so...does that help at all.

If I am at the point "between a rock and a hard place" I am now more concerned about my transitions and keyframed viewmaster movement looking good than the text being "clean" because the text is a smaller part of the whole thing. Why are my transitions choppy and my keyframed photo movement horrible in the AVI file and the DVD from the AVI files?
rvrkids

Postby rvrkids » Wed May 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Update...

I was about ready to give up but decided to just try a bunch of different things, so, after burning about 10 different dvds with different settings I have found something that works.

My original projects are the flash / hard disk widescreen settings (upper field first). I export/shared that project to an avi-dv widescreen file. Next, I created another project that had the dv (720x480) widescreen setting and used the AVI files I had created, I reversed the dominance in each of the AVI files and then burned the DVD.

This created great results in the text, photos, keyframed movement and transitions.

I suspect that the problems arose because my original project had the flash/hard disk settings instead of the dv (lower field first) settings but since I do use some actual video from my hard disk camcorder that is where I started.

Lots of lessons learned during this little project.

THANK YOU to everyone who had suggestions and helped me find my way!!!
rvrkids

Postby momoffduty » Wed May 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Great news!! I was wondering why you used the hard disk preset for a widescreen slideshow. Thanks for posting the results to help someone else learn from your solution.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed May 04, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm curious as to why the export to DV AVI Widescreen at all, why not just stick with the original project and settings?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby rvrkids » Wed May 04, 2011 6:18 pm

My final project has 8 different sections that I had to combine into one final movie. I chose widescreen because I just like the overall look of it better on today's widescreen tv's.

When I started this project many months ago I chose the initial project settings based on what I was putting into the project, i.e. some video clips from my hard disk camcorder and photos. It was recommended to me to split the larger project into smaller separate projects which I do agree was the best way to go....but things got messed up when exporting the project to DV AVI.

For future, how do you recommend I should have started?

If I started with the dv project in order to get a smooth export to dv-avi then my video from my camcorder would have probably had problems so either way I think I was going to have issues to work out.

Any input for future use would be appreciated.
rvrkids

Postby momoffduty » Wed May 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Most of my work are slideshows with photos and clips thrown in. Those clips can come from various sources. I use the standard widescreen preset and pro does fine with standard video. I did have a problem with video from a camera mpeg which caused crashes. In a separate project I imported the mpegs and exported the clips as avi files and then brought those into the slideshow project. For high def backgrounds I convert them in AE to widescreen. The reason I use AE is to timeremap & add a blur.

I only make widescreen slideshows now because most DVD players will fill the screen on HD TVs. And agree with you that they look better.

If a project is mostly video with a few photos then I think the preset that fits the video would be better, but it all depends on your output. Our vacation video was 2 tapes shot in HD, but I planned on burning a standard disc so I downconverted in the camera. Was easier to edit that way. I had a few short clips edited together from the trip that I posted on FB so that project wasn't downconverted and was edited in HD and exported as HD.

This is just my experience and am interested in others workflow.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Previous

Return to PRE Version 9