They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Point of View Question

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Point of View Question

Postby Ted » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:57 pm

Hello all,

Please forgive me for posting this here, as I couldn't find a "general movie-making" forum... I ask the moderators to kindly move this to the appropriate forum, if it's not in the correct one. :)

I created my tutorial video (much to the thanks of many of you kind folks!) and then heard from a blog follower that it was hard to see because the perspective was looking at me, rather than "over my shoulder".

You can see both videos here:

1. Looking "over my shoulder"/first-person:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMVZ5VcsT9A[/youtube]

2. Looking "at Ted"/second-person:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jJJTIwexaI[/youtube]

To get the first video, I just recorded the second video and then rotated the footage (in PrEl 9) 90 degrees to the right twice. I remember somebody on here advising of distortion and such, and it's clear it's there, along with some unsightly shadows.

The video I'd LOVE to make is one directly overhead (here's an example):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP7mrN9-hiM[/youtube]

The problem is, that my tripod, while quite tall, isn't tall enough to be behind me and looking down towards the table. Yes, I can somehow maneuver my hands through the tripod legs, but that's just awkward.

I guess I'm asking for advice. I know some have said to have a ceiling mount, but that's just not practical seeing as I do the tutorials in my home in my family room/craft area.

There probably isn't anything I can do other than mounting it on the ceiling, etc, but I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained and bring my dilemma to you all. :)

Thanks for any advice!
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Point of View Question

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:39 pm

Here is a site with lots of links to make your own jib/crane among other things.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.ph ... ls-links...
There are some pretty cool ideas and if you are handy you can probably make something that would work pretty cheaply :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:20 pm

Maybe use a gorillapod to wrap around a ladder or one of those pole to ceiling lights.

http://joby.com/gorillapod
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Ted » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:22 pm

Chuck, thanks very much for that resource. It was very thoughtful of you to take time to provide it. :)

Sadly, I'm one of the least handy guys on the planet, but I think a jib/crane may be my only solution. :(

Either that or craft on the floor! LOL
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ted » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:28 pm

momoffduty wrote:Maybe use a gorillapod to wrap around a ladder or one of those pole to ceiling lights.

http://joby.com/gorillapod

Hmm, this may be promising, Cheryl, thanks!

I'm trying to get to see the various models, but that site has quite a bit of lag. I'll keep checking.

Just wish I had a ceiling that could have those pod arms wrap around something...but at least it's something! :)

I'm guessing it can be connected to a camcorder as well as an SLR?
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ted » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Okay, I played around with my tripod set up, placing two of the legs on the table in front of me and filming STRAIGHT down...

Here's the "regular" view:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spRJ_zd6drw[/youtube]

And the "rotated" view:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hxnmQf0pz8[/youtube]

I'm MUCH happier with the distortion, but if you all have input, I'd appreciate it. :)

Now... would anybody happen to know. Is there some type of "extender" I can get so as to have the camcorder just a few inches extended over the table? This way, I wouldn't have the tripod legs in the shot.

I looked online and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Extension-Tube-Trip ... ltDomain_0

I'm just wondering if that wouldn't make my camcorder "top-heavy" and cause it to come crashing down!

If I could get just a few inches more, I could back up the legs on the table (there's plenty of room before they'd hit the edge) and perhaps avoid seeing them in the footage.

Am I making sense? :)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:49 am

Looks like a good adaptor, but as you say there is the possibility that it could be top heavy and fall over. You would have to be careful.
Have you thought about sitting the cam on top of your head and with the liberal application of duct-tape you should be good to go... img0280
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ted » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:25 am

Paul LS wrote:Looks like a good adaptor, but as you say there is the possibility that it could be top heavy and fall over. You would have to be careful.
Have you thought about sitting the cam on top of your head and with the liberal application of duct-tape you should be good to go... img0280

ROFL! I know that duct tape is like the Force and holds all things in the universe together; just the same, I may not try that one! :CS:

I wonder if Cheryl's idea of a Gorillapod may work on the tripod. I've never used one before, so not sure it the three legs of it could wrap around my current tripod. I reckon I could try to find one locally so I can return it if it doesn't work...
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ted » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:28 am

Hi Stan and thanks for your input.

That is DEFINITELY an affordable alternative. Do you happen to have any experience with this set-up (ie. can the stand hold the weight of a camcorder?)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:11 am

A couple of sandbags are an inexpensive way to hold down the legs :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ted » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:57 am

Chuck Engels wrote:A couple of sandbags are an inexpensive way to hold down the legs :)

I'm Italian.

We prefer cement shoes. ;)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:26 am

You want the balance point of the beam to be directly over the tripod. If the camera is heavy, you may need to add weight to the other end of the boom arm to balance it. It's like a teeter totter (seesaw).
Bob

Postby Ted » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:53 am

Bob wrote:You want the balance point of the beam to be directly over the tripod. If the camera is heavy, you may need to add weight to the other end of the boom arm to balance it. It's like a teeter totter (seesaw).

Thanks so much, Bob.

This makes perfect sense. I guess I was hoping to figure out a less expensive, less complicated way to do this, since it's more of a hobby.

I may have no other option. :)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby stanatou » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:40 pm

I haven't used this setup (yet) but, unless the camera is unusually heavy, I think the clamps and knobs that are used to adjust and position the cross beam will probably be sufficient to hold it place. Of course, if you extend the cross beam to its maximum you'll probably need something like Chuck mentioned to keep the stand from tipping over.

Stan
stanatou
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 9