They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Default audio Settings in PRE 9.01

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Default audio Settings in PRE 9.01

Postby hossmcd » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:11 pm

By default PRE 9 sets any new SD-NTSC Project Settings/General/Playback Settings/ audio to "External DeviceAudio" instead of "Desktop Audio".

No sound plays through my speakers unless I adjust this setting manually - one time. My change is saved with the project.

Previous versions of PRE defaulted to "Desktop Audio", other projects settings in PRE 9.01 such as HD, Flip etc. DO default to "Desktop Audio".

It took me 3 months to figure out that this default setting in 9.01 was different than previous versions for SD NTSC projects. I could hear sound while scrubbing the time line but not when playing back normally.

Adobe support says I'm the only account they know of with this issue and can't tell me how to change the system default to "Desktop Audio" so I don't have to reset it when I create a new SD NTSC project.

Does anyone have a clue as to how to change this default action to "Desktop Audio"?
hossmcd
New User
New User

Re: Default audio Settings in PRE 9.01

Postby JohnnyO » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Mine is also set to External Device Audio. Although I have no problem playing sound with that setting on my PC.

I cannot find a way to change the default either. Maybe someone else can help.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi, Hoss. Welcome to Muvipix!

I'm surprised to hear that, once you set this preference, it doesn't stick. That could be very frustrating.

It's possible Robert J or someone will know how to hack the preset files. I agree that it's a shame the program doesn't just cooperate!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi Hossmcd, Welcome to Muvipix :wcm:
If anyone can find a solution someone at Muvipix can :)

I have version 9.0.1 also and the default is External Audio also.
I changed the setting and then opened a new project, the settings stayed at Desktop Audio.

Then I closed Premiere Elements and opened it up again, creating a new project one more time.
They again stayed set on Desktop Audio.

Be sure that when you make the change you are pressing the OK button on both the Playback settings screen and the Project Settings screen, don't press Cancel. I would think that after a time or two of making the change it should stick.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9