They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

imovie user, but might switch or use both but....

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

imovie user, but might switch or use both but....

Postby skingstone » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:27 pm

I am going to buy the books by Steve--once i figure out which one....but the question i have is this:

in imovie, there is a library that houses all events within events are clips. These clips can be used in a non-desctructive fashion over and over in different projects. Its very easy to skim different events/clips to find say 10 seconds from one event and 20 seconds from another event to bring into your current project. I can't seem to find that in the trial version of PE 9. Is there a way to do this? Or is premiere workflow more project-based...meaning you import footage and create a project with each import. Any imovie users out there that even understand what I am asking? Sorry...totally confused. Its just such an incredible feature of imovie. I am praying that PS9 has a similar approach and I just can't find it.

tx
skingstone
New User
New User

Re: imovie user, but might switch or use both but....

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:20 am

Welcome to Muvipix, skingstone. :wcm: I'm not an imovie user but someone will be along soon that will be able to help you out. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Paul LS » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:18 am

Well, PE9 has the Media windows (and the Organizer) that allows you to see the video within your current project or all video you have imported... from all projects, not just the one you are working on. Also if you let PE9 run smart-analysis it will scan all movies and virtually "split" them on content. Then in the Media/Organizer windows you can click on the clip to open it and you will see all scenes within the clip.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby SteveG » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:41 am

Welcome to Muvipix from me too.

If I understand you correctly then yes. PRE uses clips in a non-destructive way and each of the original clips can be used over and over in different projects. And as Paul mentioned PRE also has an organizer. I haven't used the organizer all that much. It seems lately that all my projects use mostly the clips from one folder where the clips are located on a hard drive. That is not to say it's not useful though.

However, PRE is not made out of the box to copy edited clips in one project to another project. There are a couple work-arounds. You can export the clip and bring it into another project. There is also a program some have mentioned that can use the Windows clipboard I think. I don't remember the name though.

Glad you're here and any ask question you might have.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi, Skingstone. Welcome to town!

It does sound to me like you're describing the Elements Organizer, a companion program to Premiere Elements that keeps a visual database of every photo, video and audio file on your computer, and from which you can quickly grab media for your projects.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videocreater » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:06 pm

What version of iMovie are you using ? also how do we get the Organizer to Work or set it up. ?
videocreater

Return to PRE Version 9