They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New to forum so I apologize if has been discussed before

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

New to forum so I apologize if has been discussed before

Postby danhertlein » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:35 am

Hello All,

I'm new to all this. I have a Flip Mino HD which outputs to MP4. I brought this into my newly installed PE9 and after a few minutes, the video is out of synch. I've tried creating a MOV file (although I use WIN7 on my PC with PE). I also have a MacBook which I viewed the MOV file with the same result.

I think I have to convert the MP4 to a DV-AVI file, correct? How do I do it?

Thanks
danhertlein
New User
New User

Re: New to forum so I apologize if has been discussed before

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:31 am

Hi Dan,
Welcome to Muvipix :wcm:

There are probably others that will speak up with experience using the Flip camera, I have no experience with that.
However, you can convert the MP4 files to DV-AVI using QuickTime Pro for $30. I use it on a regular basis and it has been the best $30 I ever spent on video editing software. There are other converters as well, probably some free ones, that I'm sure someone will mention soon.

Thanks for stopping by the best forum in the known universe :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:11 am

Welcome to Muvipix, Dan!

Version 9 is designed to work with video from a Flip camcorder without doing any video conversions -- but you need to use the appropriate Flip video project preset in order for it to work. Did you do this? (My books, by the way, show you which presets to use with which video sources and how to set up projects up. You can find out more info on them at http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php )

To set up a project for Flip video, select the option to start a New Project and then click the Settings button. Select the Flip video project preset that matches your camcorder. (Is it a Mino or Ultra? Standard or hi-def?) Once you've done this, you can use Premiere Elements' Get Media/from AVCHD and Flip Camcorders Video Importer tool to rip the video from your camcorder to your computer and onto your hard drive. (This is the preferred way to do it, by the way.)

If you do this, the Flip video should work very well in Premiere Elements. I've done it myself on my iMac.

If you're still getting issues, though, it may be that your computer isn't powerful enough to work with hi-def video. The non-pro MacBooks are built for portability rather than power and, particularly if you haven't got a good load of RAM and plenty of hard drive space, your computer may struggle with the footage. (Although, as I've said, by dual-core 2.66 mhz iMac does a pretty good job with Flip UltraHD video.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JohnnyO » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:40 am

Also try to render the timeline. It may look like the sound is out of sync but after eendering you wmay see that it is not.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby danhertlein » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:02 am

Well I used the suggestion Steve gave me importing the video file from the Flip but it still starts to lag about half way through (4 minutes in) the video. It gets progressively worse. At the end, it's probably lagging half a second. I will say, if I watch the MP4 in it's raw form, it does not lag.

My PC is an AMD based (2.8 ghz) system and has 3 GB of ram. Hard drive space is not an issue.

Any additional suggestions will be appreciated. BTW, I did get your book Steve but, it'll be here after I have to submit this video. BTW, my wife and I are doing a video for eHarmony. They wanted our story for a possible commercial. They said not to worry about production value but I guess I'm a perfectionist ;-)
danhertlein
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:44 am

Try running the source video through VirtualDub (free). I have used it successfully to 're-sync' video and audio clips. Let us know if that helps.

http://www.virtualdub.org/
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:39 am

I agree that your computer power may be an issue. You'll likely need at least a dual-core machine to work with Flip video. Especially if it's HD.

Still, if you're patient enough, you should be able to Share/Computer/MOV to create an MOV file for eHarmony, YouTube or whatever that should look and play very well.

Meantime, I won't ask why you and the Mrs. are making eHarmony videos. Aren't you happy dating each other? ;)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby danhertlein » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:47 am

Just wondering...I clipped some of the video at the beginning of the clip. Is it possible this is causing the slippage later in the clip?
danhertlein
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:52 am

It certainly shouldn't be.

As we've said, the most likely issue is that your computer is struggling to keep up with the hi-def video, so your audio is leading.

But try outputting an MOV, as I suggested above, and play it. If you created your project with the correct Flip video project preset, your output video should play perfectly.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby danhertlein » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am

Whoops, I didn't do that Steve. I'll give it a whirl. And thanks!
danhertlein
New User
New User

Postby danhertlein » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:56 am

Well I just saved it as a MOV file and it is still doing it. Kind of frustrating. But thanks for the assistance.
danhertlein
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:06 pm

Wow! I'm not sure what to say, Dan. Flip video has worked perfectly on both computers (one Mac, one PC) that I've tested it on, as long as I've used the correct project setting for the camcorder.

I don't know why you're experiencing what you are -- especially if you used the Premiere Elements Video Importer to download the file from your camcorder to your computer. So I'm sorry. I can't be of any further help. All I can say is that it can and, in most cases, does work!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby danhertlein » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm thinking it may be this processor. It's an AMD Athlon LE-1660 2.80 GHz. I do notice PE 9 runs quite slow and I can't use the mouse for many functions within PE. I have to tab around... Never had the problem with other apps though. I just chalked it up to Adobe being a very large resource drain.
danhertlein
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:04 pm

Did you press the Enter key and render the timeline like Johnny recommended earlier?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby danhertlein » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:36 pm

Yes. Hate to say it, but I got so flustered...I went back and rebuilt the video (which includes photos and music as well as several clips). Total of ten minutes. So, I used MS Movie Maker. Worked perfect...
danhertlein
New User
New User

Next

Return to PRE Version 9