They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Reuseable Bullet Titles

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Reuseable Bullet Titles

Postby Hawk10Vid » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi:

I frequently create educational type videos where I often have a list of bulleted items fading in, in sequence, on the screen. Is there some way I can create a squence of one to five titles to fade in, one at a time on the screen, and be able to save this sequence in a file (I already tried AVI and MPEG), such that I could grab that clip, insert it into another video, but still be able to edit the actual text in the titles that comprise the bulleted items? It would save me a lot of time if I was just able to insert the pre-designed clip, and just change the words/text in the titles (which make up the bulleted items), without having to do all the spacing, fading in commands, etc., for every new screen of bulleted items. I know that I could create a sequence in each new video and then use that sequence over again within a video, but was hoping to avoid having to create the sequence for each new video. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Hawkeye
Hawk10Vid

Re: Reuseable Bullet Titles

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Unfortunately, Premiere Elements isn't very well suited for that type of capability. If you export the title sequence as a movie, you lose the ability to edit the text. Ideally, you would want to set up that sequence as a separate timeline and import that into your new projects as needed. Premiere Elements won't let you do that. That's a capability in Elements big brother, Premiere Pro. There is a workaround that may work for you. There is a program called ClipMate that extends the Windows clipboard allowing you to copy from one Premiere Elements project to another. See this thread for more information: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=7967
Bob

Postby Hawk10Vid » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks for those suggestions. I wasn't able to get Clipmate to work but I have come up with an acceptable workaround.

At the start of the project I can create a number of generic titles -- A title for the top of a page, and then a number of titles with names of Bullet 1, Bullet 2, Bullet 3, etc. I can setup the font type, color, size, and position of those titles and then use the 'duplicate' function under project to make copies. I create a duplicate copy, place it on the timeline where I want it to appear in sequence, and then rename the duplicate to a name that describes what the title represents. Making changes to the duplicate (specifically, changing the text) is fast, does not impact the original, yet saves the positioning, font style, color, size, etc. of the original. Then all I have to do is click on the new title, appy fade-in, and I'm there.

Maybe this suggestion will be useful to others who have to use lots of bulleted items, and sequentially fade them in for an educational video.
Hawk10Vid

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:01 pm

It's tricky to get Clipmate to work with Premiere Elements.

After installing Clipmate you initially need to copy some text in Premiere Elements, such as the name of a clip in the Project Panel, before attempting to copy items on the timeline. If you successfully copy an item in Premiere Elements, you should hear a "pop" sound. I don't remember if copying text in the titler will qualify as the type of text that clipmate will initially recognize.

The items you copy will stay in the Clipmate database until you delete them, so you can paste items you copied today into any projects you set up in the future.

After successfully copying some text and hearing the "pop" sound, go into Clipmate and select Tools > Application Profile from the menu. You'll see Adobe Premiere Elements listed. Expand the tree for Adobe Premiere Elements and check all the boxes. If you don't do that, you won't be able to copy much of anything from Premiere Elements.

To paste from Clipmate to Premiere Elements, you need to select the clip from the list in Clipmate, then go back to Premiere Elements and position the CTI on the timeline, and press CTRL-V to paste the title at that position. Sometimes when selecting a clip from the list in Clipmate, if the clip is already selected, you will need to select a different clip in the list first, then select the desired clip again, otherwise the clipboard won't get loaded with the correct clip.

It does work, as I just did it.

You can search for "Clipmate" in the upper right of this web page and read other posts about it.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 9