They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Michael Ninness's Simple Method for Sharpening a Still

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Michael Ninness's Simple Method for Sharpening a Still

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:07 am

Ninness's simple method yields a fabulous result.

--In the layers palette, duplicate the BG to create a new layer
--Select that layer and g to Filters>High Pass ("which is an edge detection filter that looks for dark pixels adjacent to light pixels")
--Set the radius of the filter to between 2 and 3px. Note the crips edges in the gray image
--Choose the Blend Mode Overlay and -- Voila! -- one has a very nicely-sharpened image

::wav::
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Michael Ninness's Simple Method for Sharpening a Still

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:33 am

Bob

Re: Michael Ninness's Simple Method for Sharpening a Still

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:17 pm

I forgot about that.

And, your description of the method is also much better. :TU:

BTW, with regard to PS CS5 refusing to allow my Epson to control color management, I'd much prefer to have it that way than the opposite. The reason is that PSE7 seems to have many more interesting creations and effects to utilize for printing than does PS CS5.

My workaround is as follows: If I need to do something that PSE7 can't do, I open PS CS5 from the PSE7 Organizer Edit dropdown (Cntrl-H), or Camera Raw from Bridge CS5, perform the editing, then close the file. The file ends up in a version set in the Organizer and from there I open it into the PSE7 editor for possible further editing followed by printing from PSE7.

In short, even if I could print from PS CS5, I would most likely still choose to print from PSE7 most of the time. The other point is that I don't do all that much printing to begin with. Most of my work consists of slide shows that are output to DVDs, however, I still get occasional requests for an accompanying album.

BTW2, the 6 x 9-inch prints at 254ppi on matte paper look markedly better than the 7 x 10.5-inch prints at 218ppi -- with both being printed on super-white 8 x 11-1/2-inch paper -- the improvement is in terms not only of the actual printed portion but also the surrounding vignette (I can't do Drop Shadows or Frames with 7 x 10.5-inch on 8.5 x 11-inch paper.)

BTW3, do you know how to used the frame, strokes and other PSE7 effects that cover the entire image as opposed to just the circumference or the internal and external borders? I tried moving them to the back and adjusting opacity, but neither allowed me to see my own images.

#-o
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Photoshop