They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Using the Remote Control with Windows 7

Hardware, software, and methods for displaying & distributing your creations.

Using the Remote Control with Windows 7

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm

As can be seen from the following link, those users of Windows 7 who have Media Center software (most versions of Windows 7 have it) have a host of options for playing their media.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00844678&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Note that, even if your hardware does not include a TV tuner, the remote control is available and will accomplish nearly all the same actions as one that is designed for a machine that includes a TV tuner. The example is for Windows 7 in an HP computer, however, Microsoft requires all manufacturers to meet similar requirements.

Here is a short summary of what one may accomplish from a distance of up to 8 meters (26 feet away):

--Put the computer into and out of a power-reduced sleep mode.
--Display visual imagery that is synchronized to the sound of your music tracks: Similar to the iTunes Visualizer, this amazing software fills one's monitor or TV with light patterns that dance to the particular music that is being played; the viewer has a choice of various types pf visual imagery; this is very cool to watch when one wishes to relax in a darkened room with one's favorite music, preferably played with either a home theater system or through earphones/headphones (my neighbors prefer the latter!)
--Move the media backward at three speeds
--Move the media backward 7 seconds, or to the beginning of a music track or a DVD chapter
--Enter text and numbers into a Windows Media Center search or text box.
--Activity indicator light. The LED tells you that the remote control is emitting a signal when you press a button
--Zoom in on the picture three times then return to the full-screen aspect ratio. What this means is that, each time you push the button, you zoom in on your still. Once one has zoomed in to the desired size, one then has the ability to scroll up, down and sideways in the image, much the same as one may accomplish with a digital camera but in this case the size of the image is as large as your monitor or TV!
--Play a slide show of all thestills on one's hard disk drives. Using the remote control, one chooses which particular folder on which particular HDDs one wishes Media Center to keep track of (same procedure as for videos and music). After one has finished telling Media Center which folders to include, the software links to them, and here is the VERY cool part:
--Built-in Screen Saver: Whenever one allows Media Center to become idle for a while (the specific time is selectable), the built-in "screen saver" begins to, so to speak, cruise one's HDDS in search of a still that it would like to display. Dozens and dozens of thumbnails will be on display on one's monitor or TV--in black and white--until the software decides (!) which particular still it would like to take a closer look at, at which time it slowly zooms in on that particular image. As the still is transformed into full-screen size, IT ALSO CHANGES FROM B&W INTO FULL COLOR (or whatever colors are in the original image) and then stays on the screen until Media Center seemingly gets bored with it and therefore decides to once again being surveying other stills. This particular feature is TOO COOL.
--Move to the next DVD chapter.
--Move media forward at three speeds
--Move media forward 30 seconds in videos and live TV, one music track, or one DVD chapter.
--Eject a CD or DVD drive. When the media finishes playing, a number of choices will be offered, including one to Eject the media.
--Or, one may select instead Restart the media from the beginning or Resume playback from where one stopped it.
--Note: Those choices exist not only for removable media but also, for example, playing back directly from one's HDD. Personally, I have every slide show and video that I have ever created stored as a HD MPEG2 on an external HDD (USB2.0). As a result, I have the ability to take that 1TB HDD with me and plug it into the USB2.0 port of any Windows computer that has Media Center, anywhere in the world that I wish to show my work to a prospective client.

:-
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Using the Remote Control with Windows 7

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:07 am

Hi George,
Note that, even if your hardware does not include a TV tuner, the remote control is available and will accomplish nearly all the same actions as one that is designed for a machine that includes a TV tuner. The example is for Windows 7 in an HP computer, however, Microsoft requires all manufacturers to meet similar requirements.

I'm not sure how you would accomplish this. Did your HP come with a remote control? I built my own PC, so I know there is no interface for a remote to talk to. ::C
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:41 am

I'm not sure how you would accomplish this. ... I built my own PC, so I know there is no interface for a remote to talk to

You need an IR receiver. Now-a-days, these are generally usb based. You can buy the remote and receiver together inexpensively. For example: http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY/ref=pd_cp_e_3
Bob

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:46 am

Oh, I had no idea. Only 18 bucks, too!

I was wondering why no one had thought of doing something like that! :roll:
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:41 am

I have two TV Tuner Cards, both came with remotes and IR Receivers.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:49 am

George said he didn't have a TV tuner in his PC. So I was wondering how he got the remote. I don't think they sell those at my local Radio Shack. If it wasn't for the the Best Forum in the World I still wouldn't know how simple and inexpensive it is to add a remote control to a PC. :-k
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby SteveG » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:47 pm

Ken,

George didn't say HE didn't have a tv tuner. He said
Note that, even if your hardware does not include a TV tuner, the remote control is available
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:53 pm

News to me. That's why I asked the question! ::C
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Video/Photo/Music Viewing and Sharing