They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Motion Sketch Animation

Talk with some experts about this compelling motion graphics and visual effects software.

Motion Sketch Animation

Postby slushparlor1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to work with some motion sketch animation in AE. I have a photo of hubby and I having a drink for his b-day. In the photo of us, I photoshopped out the drinks. I would like the drinks to fly in from outside the picture and land where the drink cut outs are. ( I have attached the photo of hubby and I and one drink cutout that I did.)

I have reset the animation and the motion sketch panel is opened. I can motion sketch animation pretty well, but I’m not sure how to get the drinks to land in the exact spot as the cutout in photo.

I start out by noting the position of the drink how I want it to look after it has flown in. Let’s say :h: I want the drink to end at position 400. I then take the drink .jpg outside of the picture and start capture. I only have 5 seconds to get it to land at 400 - but there is no way to see the exact position where it will land. I’m just guessing and it does not line up properly.

Any ideas how I might be able to do this????

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Motion Sketch Animation

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:17 pm

When you do the capture, just get it close (have the background box checked so you can see the background image). After the capture is complete, select the layer and type "P" to display the position with keyframes in the timeline. Select the pen tool. If the path is generally all right and just the end position is slightly off, select the final keyframe, position the cti to it, and press the ctrl key to change the pen tool to select mode -- you can now drag the position in the monitor to the desired position. Both layers will be visable so you should be able to align it pretty well -- zoom in if necessary. If the whole path needs adjusting, leave the cti at the final keyframe position and instead of just selecting the final keyframe, select all the keyframes. And, with the pen tool in selection mode, drag the path to where you want it to be.
Bob

Postby slushparlor1 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:20 am

Bob,

Thank you so much for your speedy response. This worked great. I've been having some computer issues so I was not able to login right away.
This worked like a charm and now I have some other good ideas!

Theresa
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:53 pm

Way to go Bob :SS:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:55 pm

Theresa, I hope you post your ending results. Creative effect!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby slushparlor1 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Hi Cheryl,

Here is my finished effect:

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10753/AE.wmv

I know there are a few issues but that's what I have to start. I want to work on some other things with this effect.

I have a question for you (or anyone else with AE knowledge) :). I'm trying to create text that rains down on a photo. I created the text layer but the background is solid. I need it to be transparent so that my photo will show through the rainning effect. When I google this people talk about RGB and Alpha and exporting and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Have you ever run into this?

Thanks.

Theresa
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Theresa, the floating drinks turned out nice. Thanks for posting the idea.

For exporting with transparency from AE:

In the Render Que:

Output Module click on the arrow and select DV NTSC this will change the words from Lossless to DV NTSC.
Click on the words DV NTSC and in the pop up box:
Format: Quicktime
Format Options: Animation
Channel: RGB + Alpha (This will change the Depth: Millions of Colors +
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Jayell » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:12 pm

slushparlor1 wrote:Here is my finished effect:

Neat effect, Theresa!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to After Effects