They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

SSD and Mechanical drive

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

SSD and Mechanical drive

Postby reddace » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:20 am

I presently use Premiere Elements 8.1 on Window's 7' 64 bit machine. I have two internal Sata drives. One C: for program and the second D:, for scratch disk and video files for projects. I would like to replace the C: drive for a SSD drive and just run the operating system and Premiere Elements 8.1 on it and still use my present D: drive for scratch and video files for projects. Would I have any problems doing this or any down the road conflicts? Thanks in advance.
reddace
New User
New User

Re: SSD and Mechanical drive

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:48 am

Are you asking if you would have trouble swapping in a new hard drive, generally, or are you asking if you'd have trouble running Premiere Elements, specifically, from this new drive?

Premiere Elements doesn't really care if you've swapped in a new drive. But it does prefer to be on your system's C drive -- and it does run more efficiently, as you say, if your media files and scratch files are on a second drive.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby reddace » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:01 pm

Just the fact of using a SSD drive as opposed to mechanical in rendering, accessing or any other unforseen bottlenecks.
reddace
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Replacing your C: drive with an SSD will improve boot times and program load times, but it won't necessarily make your programs run faster. It depends on what your programs are doing and what the bottlenecks are.

The SSD will look like a conventional hard drive to the system. You can expect the same types of problems as replacing your C: drive with another conventional hard drive. SSDs do not yet come in large capacities. Keep track of your storage utilization.

You specifically mentioned rendering with Premiere Elements. Rendering and encoding are computationally intensive. Your bottleneck is the cpu, not disk I/O. It's unlikely you'll see any improvement in rendering.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am

Just my twopenny worth. I have also considered replacing my 10,000 rpm Raptor C drive with an SSD but after much research and googling I have decided that at present price points for SSDs that it isn't really going to give me any gain. So I have deferred that upgrade sine die and decided my next upgrade will be a mobo/cpu swap.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chris B » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:25 pm

I've got an (older) SSD as a boot drive. It's great. Things happen very quickly. However write performance on cheaper drives is often not quite as good as it could be. Also it's very easy to get scratch/temporary files taking up most of the drive quite quickly. As such it requires quite strict discipline to make sure everything is where is should be. This of course assumes a smaller boot drive - if you've got loads of cash it won't be an issue.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Return to PRE Version 8