They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How To Safely Delete Project Folders

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

How To Safely Delete Project Folders

Postby DoloresL » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:08 pm

My first dumb question: What is the best way to delete project folders from Premiere Elements 8? I have a number of folders (some of them empty and some quite full) that I created as I started playing around with Premiere Elements 8. I can't figure out how to get rid of them! I've been busy reading the Guide book and would like to start a new project now that I have a slightly better idea of what to use for source files, but before I do so I'd like to clean up the mess I've already made. Seems I must have skimmed through the instructions on how to delete project folders for completed projects (or haven't gotten to them yet). Thanks for any tips on how to do this and what, if anything is important to save once I actually have a "good" project going and/or completed. (All the projects I have started so far can just go....lock, stock, and barrel. I'm assuming the source pictures and video I tried using in them are safe as long as I don't delete them from the Organizer.)
DoloresL
New User
New User

Re: How To Safely Delete Project Folders

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:07 pm

What is the best way to delete project folders from Premiere Elements 8?

Create a new folder for each project and create your project file there. Premiere Elements generates a number of temporary work folders and the default is to create these temporary folders in the same folder as your project file. You can shut down Premiere Elements and safely delete these temporary folders at any time using Windows Explorer. If you are still working on your project, Premiere Elements will recreate these work folders if it needs them.

If you have completed your project and there is nothing in the project folder that needs to be saved, you can delete the entire project folder. You may wish to keep the project file (the one ending in ".prel") in case you want to make changes later -- if so, you will also need to keep all your source files.

I'm assuming the source pictures and video I tried using in them are safe as long as I don't delete them from the Organizer.)

The Organizer doesn't contain the source video and pictures, it contains the name and location of the files. If you delete the files from the folders they are in, they are gone.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:34 am

Here is the free tutorial on Starting a New Project
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... 0&btn.y=14
It includes lots of tips like creating a new folder for each project :)

I thought we did a tutorial on removing a project when you were finished, guess not.
But like Bob says, you just need to delete the files and folders inside the project folder that you won't need anymore. If you aren't going to need anything when you are finished you can delete the whole project folder. I sometimes save my captured video and stills for future projects but I always keep the tapes so I can capture again if I need to.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:12 am

Chuck, I forgot about that tutorial. Very good! The one thing that I may add is to capture your clips to a Clip folder in the project file. If there are for example 3 tapes for a project, make 3 clip folders.

Explaining how and what folders to delete is difficult because you don't know what the person has in those folders, but Bob & Chuck explained it thoroughly.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to PRE Version 8