They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Locking markers, voice-overs, text to video clips?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Locking markers, voice-overs, text to video clips?

Postby DavidNorman » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi, I got myself in a pickle after creating a very large video (32Gb) in Nero Vision when found when clip-specific audio voice-overs and text headers I added wouldn't stay with the specific clip when I added/deleted other clips to the timeline. Is this possible in Elements8 and how? Also I have noticed when creating another video in Elements that if I add scene markers to a specific clip in the timeline, when I add remove clips ahead of it later the maker remains 'time-related' and not with the clip. Is there a way to lock scene markers I individually add to a specific place in a clip so it moves with it? (After all I believe they are called 'scene markers' not 'time markers'...) I appreciate your advice.
DavidNorman
New User
New User

Re: Locking markers, voice-overs, text to video clips?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm not quite sure what you're saying, David, when you say you "found when clip-specific audio voice-overs and text headers I added wouldn't stay with the specific clip when I added/deleted other clips to the timeline".

If you're asking will the timeline "ripple" so that, as you add and remove clips, the other audio, video and titles on parallel tracks will stay in the same relative positions to each other -- then the answer is yes.

As for your other question -- DVD menu markers lock to the timeline, not to the clips. So, if you add or remove clips to your project after you've added DVD markers, they'll remain where on the timeline you left them ,even if your project gets longer or shorter. That's why it's wise to wait until your project is finished before adding menu markers.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:04 pm

If you want a particular audio clip to stay attached to a video clip then you need to group them.
Select the clips and then right click on either one and select "Group". That will lock the two clips (or as many as you want) together. After grouping clips together there are certain functions and features that cannot be used as you are not dealing with a single clip any longer. Does that help?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby DavidNorman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:53 am

Thank you Chuck, that answers my question whether I can lock added audio/voiceover/text to a specific video clip no matter where in the timeline it ends up. I guess this is what Steve is referring to for them to 'ripple' when other video is added or deleted (that they have to be grouped first).
Steve, it is a shame the 'Scene Markers' can't be 'grouped' to a clip the same as Chuck describes above. I would be convenient to add these to important places as I edit the movie instead of having to wait until final cut and go back through.
Thanks for your help gents.
DavidNorman
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:20 am

There are clip markers to mark important spots in a clip, and they are "locked" to the clip instead of the timeline. They are not used for automatically creating scenes for a DVD menu.

Open a clip in the clip monitor by double-clicking it in the "Media" panel or the "Project" panel or on the timeline. Then you can add clip markers by doing more right-clicking in the clip monitor and selecting "next available numbered" or "unnumbered."

Hope that helps.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby DavidNorman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:25 pm

Thanks RJ. I will experiment with using those and what I can use them for.
DavidNorman
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 8