They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Easy way to reverse motion/position?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Easy way to reverse motion/position?

Postby angelah100 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:32 pm

I have a video frame clip that is on track Video 2, it looks like a TV set (the video clip on Track 1 appears inside the TV frame). I added effects to the frame so that the frame zoomed larger (also changed position to keep it centered) so that it appears to the viewer that you are zooming in on the video. Now I'm thinking I would also like a clip where the frame starts out large and then gets small, the exact reverse of the effects applied to teh first frame. Is there an easy way to do this? If it was a video clip then I could use time stretch & reverse motion, but that option is grayed out, presumably b/c it is a frame with effects applied and not a true video clip. I apologize if this question is already answered somewhere - searched for it but didn't find it.
angelah100

Re: Easy way to reverse motion/position?

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:43 pm

There are some things that you can't do all at one time. So you have to do a reverse time stretch on just the clip that you want reversed, without any effects, and then share (export) just that sequence. Afterwards take that exported clip and use it on the timeline with the effects added.

You can do it as a separate project, or in the same project using the Work Area Bar to define the sequence you want to export. Then you Share using the format appropriate for your project and check the option to share only the work area.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby angelah100 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:01 pm

It's not really a 'clip', it's just a frame. Without the effects that I added (pan & zoom), it would be static. The only motion comes from the effects that I added which change the position & scale. I tried to copy it and then manually enter the reverse position and scale numbers but that didn't work for some reason - perhaps I needed to enable animation. But I also wanted the timing of the effects exactly reversed which means going to the keyframes for both position and scale. I was hoping there was some easy way to just reverse the one that I had already created. (Sorry if I am not explaining this very well)
angelah100

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:33 pm

The easiest way to reverse the effect is to open the Properties panel for the clip (right-click on it and select Properties) and click on Show Keyframes to open the Properties panel's mini-timeline.

Click the little white triangle to the left of the Motion listing to open its properties settings.

On this mini-timeline, you'll see the two little white diamonds, representing the Scale motion keyframes you created for the zoom in. Just drag them to switch positions and you'll get the reverse effect!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 8