They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Page Turn Tutorial - Transform Effect

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Page Turn Tutorial - Transform Effect

Postby Juergen » Mon May 24, 2010 11:29 am

I'm trying to create a photo album based on the page turn tutorial from Chuck.
Basically I understood the principle. However, I'm not clear with the "transform effect".

I did not get the same results as visible in the tutorial when adding the transform effect.
According to the totorial, after setting Motion and 3D effect, only "Scale Height" keyframing of the transform effect
is necessary. However it does not work. No smooth page turn for the backside of the cover :(

I assume there are some adjustments for "Anchor Point" and "Position" needed.
After adding this effect, Anchor Point and Position is at 500 / 375.

Any idea what's wrong on my side? I spent already several hours ....

thanks to any help.
Juergen
Juergen
New User
New User

Re: Page Turn Tutorial - Transform Effect

Postby Jayell » Mon May 24, 2010 6:10 pm

This doesn't really answer your question Juergen .. but I couldn't figure out why I needed the transform effect .. and I went on without it. Perhaps it depends on the details. Will point you to mine if you want to take a look.

Edit:
Look for the video samples on these pages
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6180&p=62955&hilit=+page+turn#p62955
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=6882&hilit=page+turn
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon May 24, 2010 6:58 pm

The Transform Effect is not a requirement, I had trouble making it work without the effect and some don't need it at all. My suggestion is to try it without the effect and see what happens. There is no exact science when it comes to Premiere Elements, everything is somewhat trial and error it seems.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Mon May 24, 2010 8:22 pm

.. and tweaking that Page Turn can takes lots of time and patience :pull:
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Tue May 25, 2010 8:58 am

Jayell wrote:.. and tweaking that Page Turn can takes lots of time and patience :pull:

Jayell, don't forget that you are Muvipix Page Turn certified!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Jayell » Tue May 25, 2010 10:17 am

momoffduty wrote:Jayell, don't forget that you are Muvipix Page Turn certified!

Ooooh, I forgot. :-D

Juergen .. as you're aware, this is not simple process .. and it's hard for us to help with the specifics, not knowing EXACTLY what you're working with (graphic size, shape, placement, specific keyframing, etc). One time mine came out perfectly smooth .. another time it came out sort of jiggly. I found starting over (yes, I know it's painful) was easier than trying to 'fix' the jiggly movement. And although Chuck's tutorial really covers the material well .. a couple sections are repeated that make it a little confusing.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Juergen » Tue May 25, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks for your answers Jayell and Chuck.
I played around and finally could manage this for my page turn project without the Transform effect .
Everything can be handled with 3D and Motion.

Hope I will succeed with my 34 page photo album. Should be presented at a wedding ceremony.

As soon as my page turn is smooth, I hope I can copy the effects as the size of all pages are the same.

..... just 5 weeks left until the wedding ceremony ...

Thanks again
Juergen
Juergen
New User
New User

Re: Page Turn Tutorial

Postby MaryAnne » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:11 am

Oh friends,

I'm in tears! I have spent the last 3 days (literally) sitting here going over and over Chuck's page turn tutorial. I'm so lost. I have also read Steve's book on Premier & Elements, as well as some of Cool Tricks. But still I am no further along.

On Chuck's video #2 at the 6:25 minute mark he says your front cover should slide back & forth. Mine still swirls. My swirl is in the center point not at the edge of the album and the perspective (yes, I have unchecked uniform scale - but where is constrained portions, not under motion in mine - something toggled off?) is so way off nothing seems to fix it only make it worse.

I admit I'm a newby and I don't understand where/what are position numbers (where do you get them/what do they mean?). Are they some sort of numbering system for the shape/size of the video format (that's the only thing I could come up with). Like Juergen, I am ready to complete a memories album for a friend (by Sunday) - except for the front cover and what about closing it, so that the end looks like the beginning.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Gotta go do something else - I'm just too frustrated.
Mary Anne
MaryAnne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:41 am

Hi Mary Anne,
Some of the more advanced effects can be a bit tricky and definitely frustrating when you don't have a good understanding of the basics. Have you watched some of the other tutorials to help you get started? The tutorials on keyframing are very important.

The position numbers are the pixel positions of the object's top left corner, one is the total number of pixels from the top of the frame to the object and the other is the total number of pixels from the left edge to the object. (at least that is what I always thought they were, it actually is much more involved than that but hopefully that will give you an idea of how they work) If you move the numbers up or down you will see the object move up or down, right or left. Other numbers adjust opacity and the size of the object.

I am not sure why you do not see the Constrain Proportions checkbox, is there a scroll bar or something that could be hiding it?

I recommend you start over again. Most people when they try this have to start over at least 3 or 4 times. I started over at least 6 times before it came out right. Don't give up it will all be worth it in the end ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:37 pm

MaryAnne wrote:Oh friends,
On Chuck's video #2 at the 6:25 minute mark he says your front cover should slide back & forth. Mine still swirls. My swirl is in the center point not at the edge of the album and the perspective (yes, I have unchecked uniform scale - but where is constrained portions, not under motion in mine - something toggled off?) is so way off nothing seems to fix it only make it worse.
Mary Anne

There may be two things to check. One is to use the 3D swivel effect and not the the rotation under motion in the property panel. The rotation will 'swirl' whereas the 3D swivel will open & close like a door.

The other thing to check is the anchor point. You cannot move the anchor point when using 3D swivel. To get around this you must first work in photoshop to place the right page on the right side of the psd file with the point you want to be the axis in the exact center of the psd. (The page that would be the inside crease would be the lined up in the center of the psd.)

Don't fret! It took me awhile to figure the page turn out too. Once you get it there will be that Ah Ha! moment. :)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby MaryAnne » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:02 am

Oh Cheryl,

I feel like Moses wandering in the wilderness - I applied 3D effect but I still get the same thing. I have not turned on the rotation and yes, I can move the anchor point. HUM. In the properties panel I do have 3D "applied" or don't I?

And do you know why I have a toggle for "uniform scale" and not "constrained portions" like in Chuck's video. He said he hasn't seen that button. I have moved all the panels, all the sliders, checked every menu and subroutine, nada? There is no info on it. On page 325 of Steve's book Elements & Premier I can see it in photo but it is not addressed. (It has actually come to reading the book, yikes!)

Plus under the properties panel where it shows reset/done - reset is grayed out. Does it only apply to audio?

I'd appreciate your direction.
Thanks
Mary Anne
MaryAnne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:22 pm

Mary Anne, to answer a few of your questions: The "uniform scale" is one of the properties of the Transform Effect. The "constrain portions" is a property under the Motion.

Then there is another Scale to Frame Size. To uncheck "scale to frame size". Go to Edit>Preferences>General and in the pop up box there is a check box for Default Scale to Frame Size. I keep this unchecked for all of my projects. You want your file size to be larger than the video size to allow for zooming in. (Not too much larger) Photo attached.

I am posting an example of a page turn using PrEl3 so it may not look exactly like your version, but has the same properties. The example is in mid swing. I did not change the anchor point of 512.0 384.0 That is the center of my 1024x768 psd. Posted a photo of the psd too.

The page turn is a little tricky. I do not use the transform effect, but others have and it is an option. I highly recommend all of the tutorials here and Steve's books. Muvipix is where I learned how to edit coming from a point of not knowing anything about editing, file formats, computers, etc. Sorta started from scratch :) . Not knowing how much experience you have, but whether you are a beginner or advanced the tutorials are well worth the watch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:13 pm

Very nice instruction Cheryl :)

Mary Anne, I cannot stress enough taking a look at the keyframing tutorials and the basic training and intermediate training before getting involved in the Page Turn. You can probably do it without those but it will make life a whole lot easier for sure.

Then again maybe I am underestimating your knowledge, how much do you know about keyframing? It is very important that you completely understand keyframing before taking on a page turn effect like this. And that means keyframing not only opacity, scale and position but being able to keyframe effects as well. ;)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby MaryAnne » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:07 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. But I must be really clueless :-8 My uniform scale is under motion. I clicked on transform effect and sure enough it is there too but no constrained proportions. I feel silly but I keep clicking on every effect and I still have uniform scale under motion. I've moved all the sliders - expanded and contracted all the windows, nada. Uniform scale still under motion.

I can see from using the preview in the 3D effect that the proportions remain the same - so I don't think I have the keyframes wrong (maybe that too) but no option anywhere to uncheck the constraint.

It is true I am far more conversant with Elements than I am Premier but I have read two of Steve's books - I'm working my way through Cool Tricks - one by one, and I have watched many videos on this site. So I am pretty sure I understand what you are telling me to look for - and where. But I don't see it.

Right now I'm going to keep working through the Tricks book and perhaps I'll stumble upon it.

Thanks for helping
Mary Anne
MaryAnne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby EstherOne » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:16 am

I too, am working my way through the page turn tutorial - I am on my third try ;-)) After Labour Day I will have a new computer with l-o-o-o-t-s of memory, video memory and hard drive space - it will make subsequent tries so much quicker!

Anyway, I see the conversation about the Constrain Proportions check box - it does not exist in my version 8. But Uniform Scale seems to act in exactly the same way.

Now, to make things "easy" (NOT) for myself, I have chosen to depart from the tutorial right away, and am making two pages side-by-side. It starts with the cover opening to the first two pages and I'm happy. So I dragged the next two pages in - ughhh - I've used two left pages instead of a left and right. Oh, BTW, at this point I am putting still pictures on the pages. The album is intended to be a gift for our son's wedding, which will take place at the end of January, so I still have lots of time to learn. Video clips will come after the stills, but still with the pages turning between clips, at least that's what I want to do ;-))

Esther
EstherOne
New User
New User

Next

Return to PRE Version 8