They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Housten Andy has a problem with the organizer

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Housten Andy has a problem with the organizer

Postby andrewmpalmer2003 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:01 am

Hi all,

I received Steve's book and have been slowly reading sections and practasing as i move through, trying not to skip any !

I have come across a problem.

I must admit I've had a few NON PE8 PC issues which i've had to sort up to now and i thought i've sorted them all!

I have now got Window 7 64 bit Operating system, and its sped up the opening of most programs.

In PE8 when i try to get the organizer, I opened it once and it gave me the option to find all media, and i selected no, since then when it trys to open, it opens and then a second later it closes, i'll also all it clicks and the light comes on the 3.5" floppy disk drive ( I never use this at all ) and then it all closes, no erros, just does not do the process it is supposed to do.

I have tried to uninstall all PE8 and content and re install, it is still doing this.

I have also bought a version of CS4 and installed it. I am not using any of these Adobe products, at the moment. Could this be causing a configuation issue. ???

Any Tips why the organzing is not opening.

Thanks

Andrew
andrewmpalmer2003
New User
New User

Re: Housten Andy has a problem with the organizer

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 19, 2010 7:26 am

The first time you open the Organizer, it will need to build a catalog of all of the media on your hard drive(s). This can take a while. So do select the option to find all of your media and give it several minutes to do its job.

Meantime Windows 7 64-bit has also been giving Premiere Elements 8 some trouble, and you may have just stumbled onto one of those problem spots.

You certainly should not be having configuration problems with both Elements 8 and CS4 on your machine. They should live just fine together. Though, if you've got Premiere Pro CS4, that could well work better on your 64-bit machine than Premiere Elements.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Wed May 19, 2010 11:01 am

Andy,
A common recommendation for the version 8 Organizer is to turn off its Auto Analyzer option. It uses extensive resources and it crashes for many people. Also when it runs it modifies the Windows file modified date of your video files, which can cause grief in the future.

The Auto analyzer option is turned off from within the Organizer workspace by unchecking the following option

Edit menu > Preferences > Auto-Analyzer Options > Analyze All Media In Catalog Automatically

Therefore, I recommend attempting to modify this preference immediately after the Organizer starts. (However, based on your original post I realize that the Organizer may fail too quickly for you to make this change.)

Some questions -
-- Do you also have Photoshop Elements 8 installed ?
-- What drive letter is Windows assigning to that floppy disk drive ? The fact that it is attempting to ready the floppy drive and failing would seem to indicate a potential configuration problem - but exactly what or why I do not know.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed May 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Have you installed the 8.0.1 patch? That might help, no promises.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Barb O » Thu May 20, 2010 9:20 am

Andy,

Instead of just making single suggestions about what might be causing the Elements Organizer to crash on your PC, I decided to also post a link to additional information about troubleshooting Elements Organizer problems

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/pho ... er_crashes

You may notice that this list was written for Photoshop Elements, but in version 8 it also applies to the Organizer shipped with Premiere Elements. So even if you do not have Photoshop Elements 8, these methods will generally apply.

In addition to those suggested troubleshooting steps that are specific to the Organizer,
I agree with RJ's recommendation to have the PE 8 patch installed on your system.

Notes:
1 - Uninstalling and reinstalling the Elements software does not delete the Preferences file, Repair the Catalog, or Recreate the Thumbnails: so you should do all those actions yourself as listed in the referenced troubleshooting steps.

2 - Even though you did not initially import your video files in to the Organizer, you still need a functioning Elements Organizer catalog file, thumbnail file, plus other related files in order for the Organizer workspace to execute successfully.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 8