They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PRE vs Vegas Platinum

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

PRE vs Vegas Platinum

Postby csgaraglino » Tue May 11, 2010 12:24 pm

So I have been chugging along with PRE and getting stuff done, but I am struggling with the amount of hardware that is required. I have PRE on a server and a laptop, but on both things are running very slow.

I have asked for help and received a lot of good information that made a difference, but the fact of the mater is that it is STILL TOO SLOW to produce anything over three minutes.

I have been evaluating Vegas Platinum and I am very happy with it's performance. I am even able to cut HDV across a network quickly and effectively.

Right now I am not seeing any features in PRE compelling me to stick with PRE and deal with the painfully slow processes.

What are your thoughts - all of them - I really want to know what (if anything) makes PRE better?
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios On Web || On Flickr || On Vimeo
csgaraglino

Re: PRE vs Vegas Platinum

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 pm

I think Vegas is a very good alternative Chris.
If you like the interface and it gives you better performance then why not switch?
As far as editors go you need to use what is right for you. Both applications have good and bad things about them, I'm sure you will find them all :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Tue May 11, 2010 4:51 pm

csgaraglino wrote:What are your thoughts - all of them - I really want to know what (if anything) makes PRE better?

csgaraglino, when I typed Vegas Platinum into the muvipix Search box, only 6 pages of posts came up.

But when I typed Premiere 7, 435 pages came up.

True, that doesn't make PRE7 better, but where are you going to find a site as comprehensive -- and helpful -- as muvipix when you need help with Vegas?

Instead of spending money on software, is investing in a faster machine an option?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby csgaraglino » Tue May 11, 2010 5:10 pm

I posed this question on three sites as I knew each would be biased towards their visitors.
I understand that there are going to be more results here for PRE than Vegas, mostly because the owners here are partial to PRE in so much as they have five (5) conferance for PRE and one for Pro - None for Vegas.

But this is good, this gives me the PRE side of the coin and that is exactly what I am looking for. This group has been awesome in helping me thought the issues I had/have with PRE and I am vrey greatful for that.

New hardware... No I think not - I have 4 machines at my desk and at any given time their all workign on "something".

Here is what I have for hardware:
I have a Dual Core 3.1ghz server with 4gb ram, Nvidia 1gb video running Server 2003 and I can get things done - but it's slow with rendering on and if I turn it off, I can really watch the monitor effectively without manually rendering (again slow) and this machine WILL NOT capture HDV without PRE complaining if not locking up. I have to use HDSplit to capture.

I have a Gateway FX P-Laptop with Dual Core 2.9ghz 4gb ram, 1gb Nvidia video running Vista 64 and this is even slower here - but if I PRE does not complain about the video driver I can get things done - just takes forever.

Both machine running 7200 rpm SATA drives (laptop has 2 and the server as 4) - editing movie files on the respected machines HD (not over the network).

I have an older MacBook - but it us used mostly for software testing and does not have any software on it. Besides, I am a PC guy.

I also have a 5-6 year old Toshiba Laptop a single core 1.6ghz, 2gb ram, single 80gb IDE 5400rpm hard dive running Windows XP that WILL NOT rune PRE at all.

However, it runs circles around both machines above with Vegas Platinum, even on WiFi with the movie files on the network server! It is truly night & day.

I have only had Vegas running for 24hrs so I am not proficient in it as I am with PRE, but I created a simple project in minutes last night where it would have taken me hours with PRE.

I just want to make sure that I don't shoot myself in the foot as far as functionality is concerned.
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
csgaraglino

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue May 11, 2010 6:01 pm

One of the features of Vegas Platinum that I really like is the ability to apply effects as the clip (event) is playing back. With the New Blue Stabilizer plug-in, for example, you can adjust the settings while watching the results in real time. In Premiere Elements, you can't do that. You first need to analyze the clip, after which you adjust the settings and then render a preview. Then if you don't like the results, you have to repeat the process. In pre you can edit the audio in real time, though.

In Premiere Elements you can have an unlimited number of tracks. In SVMSP you have a limited number of tracks, 4 video tracks and 4 audio tracks.

Premiere Elements lets you customize just about all the export video formats. In SVMS9P you can't customize the MPEG-2 format, you're restricted to the supplied templates.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Tue May 11, 2010 6:46 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:In Premiere Elements you can have an unlimited number of tracks. In SVMSP you have a limited number of tracks, 4 video tracks and 4 audio tracks.

That would be an important factor if I were deciding.
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue May 11, 2010 6:57 pm

The limited tracks is something that has always kept me away from Vegas, I use more than 4 tracks just doing the opening to most of my videos.

We have plenty of Vegas support here, I don't think a Vegas question has ever gone unanswered. Between RJ and Paul, among others, we have that pretty well covered also.

I don't really think that anyone here is partial to Premiere Elements anymore, not after version 8 #-o
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Tue May 11, 2010 7:31 pm

Still another alternative is to be sure you have followed all of Steve's tips for keeping PRE running efficiently:

http://muvipix.com/learning/learning_pdf.php?preview=10waystokeepPremiereElementsrunningefficiently

::wav::
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby csgaraglino » Tue May 11, 2010 9:04 pm

Thanks for the responses you guys.
I knew that there was a limit on the number of video tracks, but the way Vegas handles videos and transitions, the limit was not that big if a deal.

However, I did find a show-stopper!
Text Effects - or lack there of!

It seems that there are no effects other than some basic fades. I have read a few forums and it seems that this is a sore-spot for quite a few folks. It seems like a very simple feature that it is missing - but I can't find it if it is there?
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
csgaraglino

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue May 11, 2010 9:34 pm

Not sure what text effects you need, but these apps can help supplement your title creations no matter what NLE you have.

BluffTitler: http://www.outerspace-software.com

Magix also has a 3D title program: http://www.magix.com/us/3d-maker/

For the price, BluffTitler (pro version) is a really good deal.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed May 12, 2010 10:19 am

Don't forget ProDad Heroglyph :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby csgaraglino » Thu May 13, 2010 10:08 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:Not sure what text effects you need, but these apps can help supplement your title creations no matter what NLE you have.

Here is a down and dirty example I put together to show a very basic Titling (?) process that I use regularly in my videos.

Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
csgaraglino

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 14, 2010 7:23 am

Cool title effect, Chris!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri May 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Premiere Elements has Vegas Platinum beat when it comes to variety of built-in animated title presets. On Chuck's suggestion, I just tried Prodad's Heroglyph Rapid ($99 US) for the first time and that looks like a really nice package that you can plugin to Vegas Platinum and Premiere Elements. That has a variety of character animations that fly in and out. Heroglyph is not as tidious to use as BluffTitler.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Heroglyph has many preset animations and then you can make modifications and adjustments.
I would say there are 1000's of different text animations.
That plug in along with VitaScene are what I use the most outside of Premiere's own effects.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 8