They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Will New Panasonic TM700 Work w/PE8?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Will New Panasonic TM700 Work w/PE8?

Postby steveskipwith » Sat May 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Greetings All,

I've been drooling over purchasing this new hi-def camcorder for quite some time and came within a hair of purchasing it. However, my major concern is the format the product uses. I quote below from the Camcorder Info web site:

However, when you shoot with the HDC-TM700's native 1080/60p setting, the camcorder uses a proprietary MPEG-4 codec that isn't really compatible with anything other than Panasonic's provided software. Yes, the video shot with the 1080/60p setting looks stunning when you play it back on an HDTV, but the only way you can really do this is by playing back the footage directly from the camcorder. We couldn't find any third party software that would import or recognize the 1080/60p clips shot with the HDC-TM700, although we expect this to change if 1080/60p recording becomes more prevalent in the future.

This is a definite deal breaker for me.

Now the confusing part - the list of PE8's supported devices includes the Panasonic HS300, and the TM700 is the latest and greatest iteration of this product. Is the supported device list outdated? Can I purchase the TM700 and be fully coinfident it will work with Premiere Elements 8?

I've been using Premiere Elements for years, beginning with its first version. I would hate to switch over to something unfamiliar, but probably would if the cost were reasonable.

Many thanks for any input or sage wisdom.

Sincerely,
Steve
steveskipwith
New User
New User

Re: Will New Panasonic TM700 Work w/PE8?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat May 08, 2010 11:44 pm

AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 09, 2010 2:31 pm

With the Flip style pocket camcorders, it's usually best to use only the software that comes with the camcorders to do your editing. They're pretty much designed for shooting simple videos and posting them directly to YouTube.

As I said at your posting on the Adobe forum, if you need to work with these files in Premiere Elements, you may be able to convert them to a more standard format and codec. But, if you try to use the video directly in Premiere Elements, you'll likely find lots of frustratoins.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby steveskipwith » Wed May 12, 2010 5:45 pm

Thank you genltemen. I'm think I'm going to do some more careful research, and you have both given me an excellent starting point. I'll delay the purchase, at least fior a short while, before taking the plunge.

Sincerely,
Steve
steveskipwith
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 8