They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Converting AVCHD

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Converting AVCHD

Postby Hp61 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi Guys,

If I convert an AVCHD file (recorded from my camcorder) to an intermediate file (hi-def MPEG or Cineform AVI) to use in PE*, and then export back to record on a blue ray — or as an AVCHD file do I lose quality?

Which is/are the best intermediate file codecs to use and maintain quality?

Steve - thanks for the tutorial.
Hp61
New User
New User

Re: Converting AVCHD

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:37 pm

This sounds like one for you PaulLS. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Hp61 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:22 pm

by Paul LS » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:41 pm

The HDV MPEG2 standard stipulates a bit rate of 25Mb/s and the quality is the same as AVCHD at a bit rate of 16-18Mb/s (about what AVCHD camcorders produce)... so the quality is about the same. it is just that AVCHD is more highly compressed and so you can get the same quality at a lower file size with AVCHD.

However as AVCHD is more compressed it requires a lot of processor power to edit it smoothly... as HDV MPEG2 is less compressed it takes less processor power.

I found this in PE7. So I understand that the quality is the same. How about Cineform? Is it a good program to use? Again do you get the same quality as AVCHD?
Hp61
New User
New User

Postby Paul LS » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:30 pm

If you are using PE8 then as you say... if you convert to an intermediate then on final burning to Blu-ray the video will be trancoded again. The quality will depend on the intermediate codec that you use and the number of transcodings/conversions. It is better to use a less compressed intermediate codec, like Cineform, if you are going to do a number of converions. However if you are just doing the one conversion and then burn MPEG2 should be fine. If your AVCHD bit rate is fairly high, above 18Mb/s then it may be worth converting the AVCHD to a higher bitrate MPEG2.. increase it from say 25Mb/s to 30 or 35Mb/s. The higher the bit rate the higher the quality... assuming your initial video has a high bit rate.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 8