They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PRE 8 REports Wrong Frame Rate

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

PRE 8 REports Wrong Frame Rate

Postby mcgerard » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 am

I was puzzled to find that when I used "Get properties for file" that PRE 8 would sometimes tell me the frame rate was 29.97. These are files recorded from broadcast TV (DVB) and as I live in the UK where we use the PAL system I expected to see 25 fps. Windows Exploer would report the frame rate was 25 fps for the same file. I investigated a bit more and it seems that it is only on the first visit to the file that PRE 8 gets it wrong. With subsequent requests for properties on the same file the frame rate is correct. Now I know about it I can live with it but it seems a litle quirk in the program (dare I say bug?).

Incidentally, I noticed that when you use "Get properties for file", PRE 8 creates an .xmp file for it in the same folder even though I haven't actually opened the file in PRE. These seem to be some sort of log file when examined with Notepad (I am very new to PRE and also this is my first post here). I don't really want to see my folder filling up with these unwanted files even though they are small. Presumably I can delete them but should I keep them for files I have actually used in a project?

I should say I have installed the 8.01 patch.
mcgerard
New User
New User

Re: PRE 8 REports Wrong Frame Rate

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:44 am

Welcome to Muvipix. mcgerard! Glad to have you aboard!

Yours is definitely a challenging question -- one that we've never seen before. Let's see if any of our European members have experienced the same thing. And if it's an issue unique to version 8 (as quite a few things are!)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:36 pm

Another welcome to Muvipix, mcgerard!

Try downloading GSpot and using that to determine the video file characteristics. Does it still report 29.97 fps?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby mcgerard » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:49 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

Steve - it would indeed be interesting to see if others have experienced the same. (BTW I have very much appreciated your beginner video lessons for PRE 8)

John - I had never heard of GSpot so thanks for the lead. I downloaded it and it correctly identifies the file (and some others) as a PAL 25 fps recording.
mcgerard
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:08 pm

I've found some of those XML files with PrE 7. I just delete them.

I'm not sure what triggers their creation. I don't get very many and there doesn't seem to be a common factor other than the base file isn't dv-avi or mpeg-2. I tried get properties with the same named video files and did not get the XML file.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 8