They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Delete & close gap not working

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Delete & close gap not working

Postby angelah100 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:17 pm

I have some video clips that are separated by empty space, but when I right-click and select "delete & close gap" nothing happens. Under what circumstances does this feature not work? It's really annoying having to slide everything over manually (and of course, I'm not sure what I did to create this huge gap in my project to begin with.... learning curve...). I suspect it has something to do with the audio clips but don't understand why that would affect closing gaps within the video track.
Thx for any advice.
angelah100

Re: Delete & close gap not working

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi, Angela. Welcome to Muvipix!

Delete and Close Gap will not work if there is video or audio on the other (parallel) tracks which keep it from being a true gap in the timeline.

Have you checked out our free Basic Training tutorials? They're a great way to get started with the program.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... 10&btn.y=2
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby angelah100 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks for the quick response, Steve. Is there any way to close the gap w/in the video track alone? I looked at the first basic tutorial but found I knew the content already, so skipped to your new intermediate tutorials. I will go back and view the remaining basic set; since I went from PSE3 to PSE8 there's bound to be more to learn there. The intermediate tutorials are great. My only suggestion would be to put some indication on the description as to the content. I was doing 'time stretch' but couldn't remember which tutorial was about time stretch so had to go thru quite a few searching for it (as it was, I started with #10 and worked backwards and of course it was in #2).

I see you are in Milw - my home town! Sick of snow yet? We don't get much here in TX.
angelah100

Postby Peru » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

I have 3.0, not 8, but can you lasso the video clips (or select it if just one) and then just slide it over (be sure to enable snapping first)?

And welcome... :meet:
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:47 pm

You can also temporarily trim back the video and/or audio on the parallel tracks long enough to delete and close the gap.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby angelah100 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:23 pm

The lasso trick works great, thank you! Interestingly, the 'delete & close gap' works when there is a corresponding audio track but only if it is the last song in the audio track. My audio track is composed of songs in a series, so once I progressed to the last song I could use the 'delete & close gap' feature and sometimes, rather inexplicably, the video closed up on its own w/o my doing anything.
angelah100

Return to PRE Version 8