They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Wrong aspect ratio

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Wrong aspect ratio

Postby sjokar » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:28 am

I've recently bought a Canon FS 200 and Elements 8. When I view a file from the cam in Windows media player it looks just like it should in widescreen. But when I import the same file into Elements it gets "squeezed" into the standard 48 (4:3) format although I choose the Widescreen 48 (16:9) in the setup menu, "hard disk Flash memory camcorder" alternative.
I´ve tried to copy the file to the desktop and then into Elements but it makes no difference. :(
Is there someone out there who can come up with a solution?
sjokar
New User
New User

Re: Wrong aspect ratio

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:36 am

Hi, sjokar. Welcome to Muvipix!

It sounds as though you've got a mismatch between your camcorder and your project settings.

You set your project settings when you first start a project. Click on the Settings button at the New Project option screen. You'll find a setting there for widescreen standard-definition hard drive camcorder.

The first tutorial in my Basic Training with Premiere Elements series discusses project presets and how to use them.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... 10&btn.y=2

If you're still having problems, you can manually change the aspect ratio of your clips by right-clicking them on your timeline and selecting Interpret Footage and setting it to the correct PAR.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjokar » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:10 pm

Thanks for fast reply.
I´ve used the correct project settings from the beginning - and tried them out at least ten times with the same incorrect results.
You may see the settings and screenprints at (remove the spaces in the address):
h t t p: //g o o.g l/HONF
I probably have to drop Adobe a line and hope for an answer sometimes in the future.
Interpret footage I don't find.
Thanks for a very interesting site - ordered your PE 8 book yesterday. Amazon takes 2 - 3 w for delivery.
sjokar
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:50 pm

Thank you so much for supporting the book, sjokar!

But I'm concerned you can't find Interpret Footage. It should be under the right-click menu.

Do you see it when you right-click on the video clip in your Project media panel? You can also set the pixel aspect ratio there.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjokar » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:34 pm

By rightclicking on the clip on the timeline I don't get that alternative, but when right-clicking on the clip in the project panel it shows up. Many thanks.
But Adobe still needs an email, don't you think.
sjokar
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Most definitely, sjokar!

Glad you got it working.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjokar » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:27 pm

Sorry to say I did not get any help from Adobe - other than you recommended - to use the Interpret Footage. (I'm not shure they actually read your questions thoroughly: In their first answer they recommended me to upgrade my raw converter...) In the second one they suggested the same solution you already came up with.
After reading your book I've started to convert the Mod files to AVI. Got a question though - but I´ll make that one to a subject of its own.
Once more: thanks for helping!
sjokar
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 8