They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Total Reset

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Total Reset

Postby thhult » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:20 am

Hi,
I have to make a total reset of my C-drive. Before I must take backups of files including PRE-catalog. In what folder do I find it ?
I have Vista.
Regards
Thomas
thhult
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Total Reset

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:18 am

I can tell you what it is in XP. Maybe someone else can adjust it for Vista:

Look in C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Adobe

Once you're in this folder, it depends on which version of the program you're using, but you should be able to figure it out.

BTW, this is just the catalog -- the reference file for your media files. It's NOT the media files themselves. So there may not be a value in making a copy of the catalog unless you're absolutely sure you're going to put your media clips in exactly the same places as they were in before.

It might be best to rebuild your drive, along with its media files, and just let the Organizer build a brand new catalog.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Total Reset

Postby Bobby » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:35 am

Hi Thomas.

I am not absolutely positive about what you mean to "reset" your C drive, but I assume you mean to reformat it and reinstall Windows.

I hope you are seeking some professional help in this. Depending on the nature of the problem, you might consider instead the purchase of another hard drive. By putting the new hard drive in place (and of course formatting it and installing Windows) you start with new, good hardware. This is especially important if whatever failure of your old hard drive was because of a hardware problem.

Once you get the new hard drive operational, you can plug in the old drive (either internal to your PC box or using an external USB adapter) and copy your data back. But because you never erased any data, all your data is still there on your old drive - the ultimate backup. You still need to know where stuff is, but at least you will know it is there.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 8