They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

hd jpeg video

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

hd jpeg video

Postby egitelman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:04 pm

I have a Panasonic DMC fz35 camera. I shot a clip using the hd jpeg setting. When I loaded it on my pc it had the format .mov. My firsrt quesion is why it formatted as .mov.

I then converted the mov clip to mpeg 2. When I loaded it on to Premiere Elements 8 it displayed as a red box. I couid not preview it.
Does any one know whey this happens. I previosuly converted m2ts clip to mpeg4 and didn't have this problem.
egitelman
New User
New User

Re: hd jpeg video

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:15 pm

Lots of difference between mov, mpeg2 and mpeg4.
Did you try the mov files in Premiere Elements they usually work pretty good.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby egitelman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:14 pm

Yes, the mov clip worked on PRE8 ok. But why was imported a mov file?
egitelman
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:23 pm

It sounds like you downloaded a video rather than a still photo from your camera, e.

Your stills are likely saved on your camera as JPEGs (a still photo format), while your videos are saved as MOVs.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:05 am

The MJPEG (Motion JPEG) is most often placed into an AVI wrapper by cameras, but I guess that it would not be unheard of to have the MOV wrapper, especially as some Mac's have issues with anything AVI.

In the end, it is what is inside of the wrapper, regardless if it's MOV, AVI or other.

Now, if it IS MJPEG, the two most favored CODEC's are the Morgan and the MainConcept ones. If one does not have an MJPEG CODEC installed, usually adding one will not only allow good playback, and in most cases actually editing the MJPEG in your NLE, without having to convert. I believe that both Morgan and MainConcept offer trial versions. Do not know what limitations the trials might have - time?

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:46 am

As Hunt points out, some camcorders save their video as AVI (MJPEG-AVIs) while others save them as MOVs.

Yours apparently saves its video as MOVs.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:10 pm

I noticed that this is a Panasonic camera and my experience with an earlier model Panasonic still camera is that it did something which seemed weird to me - record Motion JPEG (MJPEG) video format and write it out in a .mov file (wrapper) instead of a .avi file. I suspect that is what happened here.

I think that another muvipix participant will know more about the current Panasonic cameras video. So my comments here are merely a start to this discussion. I was looking for more detail about this camera, so I went to the dcresource.com review site. A specific reference for its discussion of the video is
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panas ... view/using

For HD recording, it looks like it is 1280x720 and
there are two codecs to choose from, each offering their own pros and cons. Here's a quick summary:
* AVCHD Lite
o Pros: Unlimited recording time (outside of Europe), high quality, easy viewing on Blu-ray players or HDTVs
o Cons: Difficult to edit, can only be played back on certain devices
* Motion JPEG
o Pros: Easy to edit and share, viewable on almost all devices/platforms
o Cons: Limited recording time, larger file sizes

However, I think this commentary misses an important point. Which format gives better quality?

-- Yes, AVCHD Lite may be more difficult to edit, but you have Premiere Elements 8 so if the AVCHD Lite gives better quality I suggest that it is worth considering.
-- the referenced web page review shows "three AVCHD Lite movies, taken at the highest quality setting. I used Handbrake to convert them to easily viewable MPEG-4 files". So he does offer a suggestion of a conversion program.

egitelman,
Now I think I have answered your question as to why it imported as an .mov file, but I don't know about the mpeg2. There may be other workflow scenarios so I recommend that you stay subscribed to this thread while I ask for assistance from another muvipix member.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:46 pm

I have a Panasonic DMC-ZS3. My prior camera was also a Panasonic. Panasonic has always recorded motion jpeg video inthe .mov formaat. PRE has no problem editing this format.

As Barbara points out, your camera also uses the AVCHD-Lite format, as does mine. I did a lot of testng comparing the quality of the AVCHD-Lite format to the motion jprg. AVCHD-Lite wins hands down in quality. If I were you I would set the default video format to AVCHD-Lite. You can domload the video fromthe camera to the PC using the supplied software tat came with your camera. The files are renamed to include the date and time of shooting.

If you PC has enough horse power, you should have no trouble editing AVCHD-Lite in PRE8. If your PC does not have enough horsepower, you will need to do proxy editing in PRE.

I have PRE7 and am running Windows 7. AVCHD-Lite works with PRE7 also. I have an older PC (Pentium 4, 2.7G HT), so I cannot edit AVCHD-Lite. I tried Proxy editing with PRE and PRE kept crashing. Maybe someone who has successfully done proxy editing with PRE can help if you need to do this.

I have moved to MAGIX Movie Edit Pro. It edits AVCHD-Lite just fine, and proxy editing works without a glitch.

There was a recent question regarding proxy editing on the MEP forum. Someone wrote a program to rename files automatically as part of the proxy editing process. I will be given this a try. I wonder if this procedre willalso work for PRE.

Here'a the link:

http://000cpc000.plesk4.freepgs.com/MEP_PROXY_UTES/

If you do not care about proxy editing, just ignore everything I said about it :)
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 8