They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Warning: PE 7 cannot read PE 8 projects

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Warning: PE 7 cannot read PE 8 projects

Postby rjones » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:54 pm

So my PE 8 is so unstable I've given up trying to use it. Now I go back to PE 7. Guess what? The two projects I was working on in PE 8 cannot be opened in PE 7. GRRR.
rjones
New User
New User

Re: Warning: PE 7 cannot read PE 8 projects

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:45 pm

Sorry to say that version project files are not backward compatible.
It is always suggested here that if you are working in an old version to make sure that a copy of the project file is made before attempting to open and save in another version.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JohnnyO » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:00 pm

And this is not unique between PRE7 and PRE8, It applieds to all the previous versions.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby rjones » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:11 pm

This wasn't a case of opening up an older version and saving as a new version. I'm aware of the lack of backward compatibility. But these were projects I started in PE 8. Now that PE8 has decided it can't run on my computer I'm stuck with projects I can't open. I have uninstalled PE 8 and going to do a reinstall in hopes the program will run again so I can at least to an export.

After limping along for the past few weeks today PE 8 opens, gets to the splash screen, starts loading in all the modules and then disappears from the screen. The task bar says its running, Task Manager says its running, but the program is not on the screen. REbooted the computer. Restarted PE 8. Still not there. I've never seen a program do this since way back in the early Mac and PC days. I'm able to start PE 7 and it runs fine. BTW I'm running a quad AMD and 8 gigabytes of RAM with four hard drives connected, so I'm not running out of resources.

Adobe sent me a survey today asking about how I like PE 8. I'll be replying soon.
rjones
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Premiere Elements is not supported on any 64bit version of Windows so Adobe won't help you much.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JohnnyO » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:13 am

This wasn't a case of opening up an older version and saving as a new version. I'm aware of the lack of backward compatibility. But these were projects I started in PE 8. Now that PE8 has decided it can't run on my computer I'm stuck with projects I can't open. I have uninstalled PE 8 and going to do a reinstall in hopes the program will run again so I can at least to an export.

Once you open the lower release project into the current release, the project file is converted and therfore not compatable with the lower release any longer.

best to make a backup befopre opening in the newer project. However, any changes you made inthe new project of course will notbe on the backup.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 8