They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Tired of being a beta tester for a multimillion $ corporatio

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Re: Tired of being a beta tester for a multimillion $ corporatio

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I wish I could say something in Adobe's defense, but I can't this time out. Version 8 works, on an adequately powered, well-tuned system using non-challenging media -- but it needs a good two or three times the power of version 7.

Steve, last night I was able to do a Send to Premiere Elements 7, from an Album that I had created in PSE7, ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY hi-def (2288x1520) stills--and the Timeline already contained a HD MPEG2 1920x1080 video and audio intro.

I watched my PF Usage rise gradually (I've learned to not try to save the file until the PFUsage has stabilized) to 2.65GB, and I was then able to save the file without so much as a hiccup from PRE7.

My purpose in doing this was that I wanted to quickly delete about 50 of the 150 slides from the project, and it is faster to select and delete slides from the Timeline than to right-click them one-by-one in a PSE Album and then choose which particular Album to delete them from.

PRE/PSE7 :TU:

PRE/PSE8 :pull:

:-({|=

To its credit, Adobe has a liberal return policy that includes even opened software:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/153/tn_15327.html
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby cyclo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:36 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
dberthia wrote:Version 8 has finally pushed me over the edge. ....
Version 8 is a horrible mess of bugs and bloatware. It slowed my computer to a crawl with all the background processing, and the choppy video playback was simply unacceptable on my more than adequate hardware. I thought about going back to version 7, which ran great on my system. .... They need to go back to the basics and concentrate their development efforts on creating a lean, mean core editing system that is rock solid and reliable. Perhaps they could split-off all the bells and whistles into add-on modules, but the core needs to be dependable.

dberthia, it seems to me that Adobe, in an effort to make its software usable by the masses so they can post on YouTube and other sites, has tried to automate as much of the program as possible. The result, as you say, is a mess.

This is exactly why I bought PRE8... so I could edit my videos quickly for posting on the web (youtube, vimeo, etc.). I quickly outgrew MovieMaker and wanted something that will allow multi-track video/audio editing. I am a happy Photoshop user (CS2) so I thought the logical move was to get PRE8... Well I finally got it more or less stable on my 4th project and only after spending hours scouring internet forums for fixes... such as disabling the stupid Organizer, the more than stupid background processes (rendering, etc.), and finally, upgrading my video driver and setting an obscure option on the driver not to run the multi-threading option (so PRE8 process would close after I exit the app instead of running and consuming my PC's resources).

Even now I get hang-ups/crashes from time to time especially when using effects. I agree with most people here... Adobe should focus on the video editing and cut down on useless bells and whistles that no one will need/use. Add those on (as a series of plug-ins) when the core product is stable. Also test the product so regular users won't need to go through hoops to get the product running reliably. Finally, hire competent QA guys who can read and write English correctly... I got a response from a guy in India after filing a bug report and the guy was way off the mark in his response to my inquiries... To make matters worse, I was re-directed to an FAQ on PRE7 (not 8) trouble-fixing.

I do like PRE8 now that I got it more or less stable on my machine but I had to spend countless hours to get here.
cyclo
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:35 pm

George Tyndall wrote:dberthia, it seems to me that Adobe, in an effort to make its software usable by the masses so they can post on YouTube and other sites, has tried to automate as much of the program as possible. The result, as you say, is a mess.

I think you hit the nail on the head.
Premiere Elements is no longer geared towards serious users, and is trying to force professional effects and features to fit into a Windows Movie Maker type package. There should be another application for those that want "plug and play" editing.
I realize that there is Premiere Pro, but not all of us can afford such a program.
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:56 pm

Peru wrote:I realize that there is Premiere Pro, but not all of us can afford such a program.

Peru, apart from the cost, have you ever looked at Premiere Pro?

Please believe me when I say that, in terms of the learning curve, there is NO COMPARISON between Elements and Pro.

The curve for Premiere Pro is, for what I believe most muvipix members want to accomplish, WAY TOO STEEP.

img0319

img0221

I do believe Chuck, who uses Pro, will confirm this.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby GAtkins » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:28 pm

+1,000,000 to this.

Glenn

dberthia wrote:Version 8 has finally pushed me over the edge. I've been using PrEl since the very first version. I haven't always been happy with it- I've had my share of crashes and WTF moments over the years, but I always managed to make it work enough to do what I wanted to do. I've dutifully upgraded with each new release.

Version 8 is a horrible mess of bugs and bloatware. It slowed my computer to a crawl with all the background processing, and the choppy video playback was simply unacceptable on my more than adequate hardware. I thought about going back to version 7, which ran great on my system. I read about all the various tips and tricks to improve performance, and tried every one. But then I realized that a company that cared out its customers wouldn't allow things to get to this point, and I thought now would be a great time to reassess and see what other options were available. Adobe is basically begging me to drop their product these days, so I thought I may as well oblige.

I did a little research, and have moved on to Cyberlink's Power Director 8 (http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/overview_en_US.html). The interface takes a little getting used to after years of PrEl, but I've been happy with it so far (one week) and am probably not going to look back. It's not perfect, but so far I can do what I need to do without the application getting in the way.

I'll keep an eye on Adobe to see if they can ever get the train back on the rails, but I'm not optimistic. In my view they've increasingly traded stability and usefulness for showy new features that are of limited value. They need to go back to the basics and concentrate their development efforts on creating a lean, mean core editing system that is rock solid and reliable. Perhaps they could split-off all the bells and whistles into add-on modules, but the core needs to be dependable.

I haven't been a frequent poster on the forums, but I've always appreciated the help and support provided here. I've been right with you folks on wanting to make this application work for me, but it's just become too much of an effort to battle the application instead of putting it to use.
GAtkins
New User
New User

Postby GAtkins » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:29 pm

Thank you!

Glenn

Steve Grisetti wrote:I wish I could say something in Adobe's defense, but I can't this time out. Version 8 works, on an adequately powered, well-tuned system using non-challenging media -- but it needs a good two or three times the power of version 7. And even then it sometimes takes a dump for no reason. And that's in addition to features that were simply left undone (like the Normalize button that's there but doesn't do anything).

I'm not sure what Adobe's strategy is here, but it certainly seems like version 8 is this year's "Vista." Its benefits just don't justify its liabilities.

Which is not to say that it's a total piece of junkware. As it said, it does run stably on a powerful, well-tuned computer. But there's no reason the few new features should drag down the average system so much!

As I've said before, I'd love to see Adobe really give this program a good reboot. And, next generation, instead of throwing in more bells and whistles, they should concentrate on create a rock solid, stable piece that can handle a wide variety of consumer video formats. That would be a program people would be crawling over each other to buy!
GAtkins
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:18 am

George Tyndall wrote:.....have you ever looked at Premiere Pro?.......in terms of the learning curve, there is NO COMPARISON between Elements and Pro. The curve for Premiere Pro is.........WAY TOO STEEP.

You are correct George, it is true that there is a lot more in PPro than Elements for sure. But if one is familiar with Elements one can use PPro virtually straight off and learn about the extra facilities as one goes.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Peru » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:04 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
Peru wrote:I realize that there is Premiere Pro, but not all of us can afford such a program.

Peru, apart from the cost, have you ever looked at Premiere Pro?

Please believe me when I say that, in terms of the learning curve, there is NO COMPARISON between Elements and Pro.

The curve for Premiere Pro is, for what I believe most muvipix members want to accomplish, WAY TOO STEEP.

img0319

img0221

I do believe Chuck, who uses Pro, will confirm this.

No, I haven't seriously looked at Pro. I've been comfortable with Pre El 3.02, but if a new version of elements comes out that has something that I need or want (and it works ;) ), I would consider it.

The menu system of 3.02 is buggy, so I use DVDAS.
Other versions of elements have more title options, so I use Bluff Titler.
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:38 pm

The curve to get started in Premiere Pro for an experienced Premiere Elements user is minimal like John says.
I was able to edit a video in Premiere Pro without any instruction or help the very first time.

Since then I have learned some tricks and that I didn't do everything correctly the first time.
But the fact is that I was able to edit my video and produce a DVD without any help and it all worked fine.
I can definitely do things faster, easier and in less time now than I could the first time out, but that comes with practice.

There are many members here that have taken the path from Elements to Pro and I don't think any of them regret the change.
I don't think any of them had a rough time making that change either ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: PPRo

Postby Bobby » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:34 pm

Yah, now if you could just get Adobe to lower the price...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:50 pm

Bobby,
I bought a copy of Encore 1.5 on Ebay, still in the original packaging unopened, for around $50.
That allowed me to purchase the upgrade for $299. So for $350 I ended up with what would have cost $800, better than 1/2 price.

If you are serious about upgrading to Pro then it is worth looking for an older version that you can buy cheap so you can upgrade cheap.
You can upgrade from older versions of Premiere Pro and Encore DVD (which used to be a separate product).
Check the upgrade list to be sure of what is eligible for the upgrade price. There is even a discount for upgrading from Premiere Elements ($100 off).
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:The curve to get started in Premiere Pro for an experienced Premiere Elements user is minimal like John says.
I was able to edit a video in Premiere Pro without any instruction or help the very first time.

Since then I have learned some tricks and that I didn't do everything correctly the first time.
But the fact is that I was able to edit my video and produce a DVD without any help and it all worked fine.
I can definitely do things faster, easier and in less time now than I could the first time out, but that comes with practice.

There are many members here that have taken the path from Elements to Pro and I don't think any of them regret the change.
I don't think any of them had a rough time making that change either ;)

Chuck, when I looked at PPro, the bulk of my experience was only with Photoshop Elements 4.0.

What I was looking for was merely a program that I could use to burn a DVD of my PSE4 slide shows. To my chagrin, after downloading the trial version I learned that the DVD-burning program, Encore, is not included. I spent a few hours exploring the trial version of PPro, and I found it VERY daunting in comparison with PSE.

Now that I am experienced with Premiere Elements, and based on your statement that the transition from Elements would be relatively easy, I am tempted to take another look at PPro. When you have time, here is my question: What are some of the things I could do with PPro that I am not able to do with PRE7?

Addendum: If PPro will allow burning a Blu-ray to folder--and the trial version includes this option--then you've got my rapt attention, however, I am first going to try a method with Phantom Disk Drive that Bob described.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:47 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
Now that I am experienced with Premiere Elements, and based on your statement that the transition from Elements would be relatively easy, I am tempted to take another look at PPro. When you have time, here is my question: What are some of the things I could do with PPro that I am not able to do with PRE7?

That's just what I was wondering. :-k
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Hey, you guys don't think Adobe is purposely screwing up Premiere Elements so that it becomes a way to lure people in and then send them to Premiere Pro, do you?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby roadsideron » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:54 pm

No, I really believe it was a rush to at least hit the streets the same time Studio 14 did so they wouldn't lose any sales. It just wasn't ready and I really don't think it was planned to put a non working version out just to bait and switch. They just made a very bad marketing decision.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to PRE Version 8