They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New Computer Issue

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

New Computer Issue

Postby KingLerxst » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:07 am

I have just set up my new computer and downloaded PE8. I previously used PE7 and saved all my scratch disks to an external hard drive. My new set-up cant find any of my source files for my saved projects. Im not that computer savvy and there may be a post on here about setting up a new computer, so if so, sorry. I do notice that my media cache database on my old system was saved to my c drive under c:\users\steve\appdata\roamin\adobe\common. Do I need to replicate that on my new system in order for PE8 to find these files? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
KingLerxst
New User
New User

Re: New Computer Issue

Postby Bobby » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:58 am

Hi King...

Your source files are not on the scratch disks. Anything in scratch is temporary will be re-created if need be when you open a project. So the question is: where ARE your source files? They must be in some folder/files on your old PC and you need to go back and find them. This includes input files such as your AVIs, MPEGs, JPEGs, etc. and also your saved PRE project files (.prel).
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:49 am

One thing to keep in mind is that version 8 is not an upgrade. Version 8 is an entirely new program and will not link to any of the version 7 files automatically. It will create it's own path to the cache and scratch disks.

Version 8 also uses a organizer catalog that is shared with Photoshop Elements 8.
This is also new and you may have to let the program search for all of your files and add them to the organizer.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:08 am

Chuck Engels wrote:...you may have to let the program search for all of your files and add them to the organizer...

If in fact he copied the files from the old PC to the external HD and then re-copied them back. I am not sure he did this.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby KingLerxst » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys...I will be working on it later tonight and let you know how it goes. Thanks again
KingLerxst
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 8