They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Re-evaluation Premiere Elements 8

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Re-evaluation Premiere Elements 8

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:36 pm

After a shaky start, I'm finally having some very good experiences with version 8. So much so, in fact, that I'm now ready to recommend it. On a clean, updated system with adequate hard drive space and RAM, it seems to run just fine. At least that's my experience.

In another thread, I mentioned that I'd set up Windows 7 32-bit on an iMac with Boot Camp and the program runs quick and flawlessly! (That's a dual-core 2.66 ghz with 2 gig of RAM.)

And, on my regular PC, I cleared off some hard drive space (giving myself at least 30 gigs free), defragged and run a registry and temp file cleaner and then boosted my RAM load up to the max 4 gigabytes. And, bingo, Premiere Elements 8 now runs just fine on my PC also! I'm confident enough in it that I've even started editing "real" projects in it -- and I can run Photoshop Elements, the Organizer and Premiere Elements at the same time (even with the Auto Analyzer and Background Rendering turned on).

And this is no spring chicken of a machine either. My PC is a 5 year old XP machine with a Pentium 4 HT running at 2.6 ghz.

I know that's no consolation for anyone out there having problems with this program. But I'm 2-for-2 at this point on two very different machines, so it certainly IS possible!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Re-evaluation Premiere Elements 8

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:48 pm

That certainly is refreshing news Steve.
I'm waiting until my copy of V8 arrives before making any definite recommendations either way.
But with all of the bad press out there your experiences are a nice change to hear about :TU:

One thing I would question is the "Minimum System Requirements" listed on the box.
As usual I suppose they are no where near what is actually required to run the software.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:52 pm

Steve,
Very interesting
What video card do you have on your PC?
Did you ever try with all the other cleanup done and your previous amount of RAM (was that 2 GB)?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:37 pm

You can see my specs right under my post, Barb.

And, yes, I was previously running 1.5 gigs of RAM on my PC. And that seemed to be adequate until late this summer -- when suddenly everything became challenging!

I assumed it was the Premiere Elements 8 betas or something (although my version 7 performance was being affected too).

I don't know if it's the new program or some new Windows update, but the days of my getting by on a gig or so of RAM are over. I definitely recommend everyone who wants to run Premiere Elements step up for 3 or 4 gigabytes of RAM! It sure worked for me!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 8