They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

My PRE8 Chronic Crashing Work-around

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Re: My PRE8 Chronic Crashing Work-around

Postby peggig » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:18 pm

Thanks, Chuck! I'm exporting now. BTW, what are the differences between these four presets? It isn't clear from the UI.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:24 pm

NTSC DVD Widescreeen - this will be a 720 x 480 16:9 (widescreen) MPEG file Standard Definition
H.264 1440x1080i 30 - This will be a MOV file 1440 x 1080 High Definition Widescreen
MPEG2 1440x1080i 30 - this should be a m2t file 1440 x 1080 High Definition Widescreen
MPEG2 multimedia compatible - This won't be much different from the 1st option if at all.

If I was wrong on any of these someone please say so ::C
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:19 am

Thanks, Chuck!
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby peggig » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:26 am

Well, I tried exporting as MPEG2 1440x1080i 30. It created an m2t file. I created a file association for it Windows Media Player, and it works but, after playing for awhile, the sound drops out. I tried changing the extension to mpg, and the same thing happens. It doesn't always drop out in the same place. If I skip around, the sound seems to work throughout the file but, at some point, it just goes silent. It's very strange. I've never had a problem with any other MPEGs on this machine.

I also tried using HDVSplit on the exported m2t file, but it doesn't split it. It just copies the whole file. Anyway, at least I'll be able to import the file into PRE7. I can split it there.

Thanks again for all your help with this!
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:09 am

I really wish that we could get a better understanding of your workflow and what you are doing. Can you go through your whole process from capturing video to starting a project and whatever you do in Premiere Elements? As much detail as possible and it might help someone realize what the problem points are.

Are you still in version 8 or did you move to version 7?

I think you need to work on a very small project until all this is sorted out.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:21 pm

I agree with Chuck. Let's start your own thread, because those one is starting to unravel.

Then take us, step by step, what you're doing. There may be a simple solution that we're all missing.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby SteveG » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:09 pm

I am running version 7 and I get the same thing. The program will just freeze. Most of the time it seems to happen is when I am in say the effects area and I am scrolling down. It's not that I am scrolling too fast because I thought that at first. I started scrolling slow each time and it still happened. I have waited most of the time at least 5 minutes and over 15 minutes the first few times it happend. I would say it would come back about 30% of the time by itself. The other times I have to force it close.

Like you, I end up saving every few edits. Plus, just in case I forget, I have the auto-save on. As a third backup, if one of the crashes corrupts the project file and for some reason I can't use the auto-saved files, I have a Seagate 1.5 TB external drive that has some wonderful software on it. It syncs any file and/or directory I designate any time the file/directory changes. Just seconds after I save, or add, or delete, it is sync'd on the other drive. I wasn't planning on using it when I bought the drive because I didn't know it was included.

The only thing that has really changed on my system is I updated the OS with updates. Or my firewall is set to automatcially update itself with new builds within the version. I don't remember if it started happening the same time I updated my OS though. The other thing is I have only 2GB memory.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:34 pm

I just installed a new inexpensive PCI GeForce FX 5500 graphics card made by BFG and bought at Fry's, and now I'm no longer stuck with using Quicktime version 7.3.1. This graphics card supports pixel shader 2.0, so now the GPU transitions in Premiere Elements are enabled.

Since I have only a 250W power supply, no PCI-E or APG slots, my selection of graphics cards was limited.

I guess it will be a while before I can tell if I notice any other improvements over an onboard intel 865G controller.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby peggig » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:49 am

I installed PRE7 and, so far, I haven't had any crashes! :TU:

The only thing I miss about PRE8 is the Organizer. Because I have too many clips to edit in one project, I was able to use the PRE8 Organizer to categorize and tag all my clips without importing them into the project. Then I could just find and import the ones I needed when I needed them. In PRE7, it seems you can only categorize and tag clips after importing them into a project, so I can't do that anymore. However, Chuck gave me a workaround -- create multiple projects and combine them. So I guess that's what I'll do.

Thanks for all your help, everybody! If Adobe ever releases an update for PRE8, I'll try it again. For now, I'm just relieved to be able to edit HDV video without it crashing every ten minutes or so.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:19 am

Glad to hear that your not having any problems with version 7 :TU:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:05 pm

peggig wrote:I installed PRE7 and, so far, I haven't had any crashes! :TU:

The only thing I miss about PRE8 is the Organizer. Because I have too many clips to edit in one project, I was able to use the PRE8 Organizer to categorize and tag all my clips without importing them into the project. Then I could just find and import the ones I needed when I needed them. In PRE7, it seems you can only categorize and tag clips after importing them into a project, so I can't do that anymore. However, Chuck gave me a workaround -- create multiple projects and combine them. So I guess that's what I'll do.

Thanks for all your help, everybody! If Adobe ever releases an update for PRE8, I'll try it again. For now, I'm just relieved to be able to edit HDV video without it crashing every ten minutes or so.

peggig,
1 -- Do you also have Photoshop Elements 7? If yes, then you can tag clips within categories using Photoshop Elements 7 and then open that PSE 7 catalog with the tags under Premiere Elements 7.

2 -- If you also have Photoshop Elements 7, then post what format your video files are. That is because there are some limitations from v7 that could be relevant so we would want to investigate workarounds. For example, PSE 7 can not import AVCHD video files but Premiere Elements 7 can.

Barb
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby peggig » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:47 pm

Barb, no I don't have PhotoShop Elements 7. I still use PhotoShop CS2.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rjones » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:23 pm

JohnnyO wrote:I had Quicktime 7.6.4 and everything with PRE7 was stable. I went back to version 7.3.1 and PRE8 still crashes.

I have never has such a problem with any previous version pf PRE. PRE7 is very stable on my PC and I will stick with it. I also use MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 15 PLUS without problems.

PRE8 does not like my PC. So therefore I do not like that piece of junk. Finally a video edior came out which makes Pinnacle look good. I think it was a conspirecy. Mike came over from Pinnacle to destroy Adobe. He is doing a very good job.

That explains everything. Pinnacle was the most unstable video software I've ever seen and it was released to the public way before it had been fully debugged and edited. I swore four years ago never to use Pinnacle again. That's when I changed to Adobe so I could get some work done. I may be changing again soon. That's too bad because I have gotten used to the PRE 8 interface and workflow.
rjones
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:25 pm

Many of us have just gone back to using Premiere Elements 7, or even version 3 (that's my favorite).
Might want to just cut your losses and start your projects over in version 7. I have heard that there are problems when version 7 and version 8 are installed on the same computer ;)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:36 am

Re: Mike I.

Our forums are now beginning to sound like the Pinnacle forums when it was falling apart. I am not sure Mike is the key factor here, but there are certainly notable similarities. I am very disappointed when my world gets shaken up, and it has certainly happened now. I haven't bought '8' and don't plan to. What a mess...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to PRE Version 8